Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do you start the Love of Corvettes?

Toms007

Corvette
2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
Last week while at the in-laws (for the a funeral) my brother in law (Paul) and a first cousin (Scott, who works with BIL) stopped by. Scott says he wished he'd known that we were there in the Corvette, as his 6 year old son loves sports cars and would go nuts to see it. I told him we would be back next weekend for a wedding and were planning on driving the Corvette.

Well, yesterday at the wedding we saw Scott and he asked if we were in the Corvette. Yes, but it was at the in-laws house and we drove them in their car. So shortly after I get back from golfing this morning, Paul says "There goes Scott driving by. Probably showing Ben your car." By the time I get to the window they have turned the corner and were driving away. I told Paul to call them and bring Ben back so he could really see it and I would take him for a ride.

Shortly they were back and I put the booster-seat in the Corvette. While putting the seat in, little brother asked if he could go too "I'll ride in the back seat" I tried to explain that the Corvette didn't have a back seat, but he didn't hear me at all and walked off pouting. I put Ben in the seat, buckled him up and off we went for a ride. You could sense the excitement from the little 6 year old. He had a million questions. How fast does this car go? You won't drive that fast will you? Etc, etc. We got out toward the edge of town and I romped on it pretty good (took it up to about 75-80) and he said "Are we going to fly?" Went out a few miles and turned around and he asked "Can you make it go fast again?" So I obliged the little guy this time taking it up to about 90. He had eyes as big as saucers.

When we got back to the house he told me "Don't go as fast with my brother, it will scare him." So we swapped boys and I took the other one (and his Teddy bear) for a short ride, it was great. I asked him "Are you kind of excited?" "A little," he said, "but Teddy is really having a good time."

Once we got back the two boys couldn't stop talking about their ride and mom and dad were all smiles and thanks. "You really made two boys very happy today." I think I got as much out of it as they did.

IMG_20120812_122626.jpg

That's cool stuff Tom....looks like some future C8 or C9 guys.....My love started for the Corvette back in the early 60's when I would watch Todd and Buzz and their Corvette traveling the country on old Route 66. I still remember the day in the autum of 63 walking back to my old mans office after football practice. I would walk by the local Chevy dealer and on that day there sat a brand new Sebring silver split window with red interior.......I was stunned and it took me all of 3 seconds to get in there and start banging the four speed around which didn't last long as the saleman chased me out of there....lol. I was hooked right then and still am all these years later.....what a beautiful car that was.....

Great story, Tom.
One of the many things I love about the Corvette is being able to share the experience with others. Especially the ones who have never been around one.:)

Marcus, I darn sure remember MY first ride in a Corvette. I was about 9 or 10 and it was a 63 SWC, rally red with red interior. I was hooked.

I love to plant the seed, so that it will grow.

Last week while at the in-laws (for the a funeral) my brother in law (Paul) and a first cousin (Scott, who works with BIL) stopped by. Scott says he wished he'd known that we were there in the Corvette, as his 6 year old son loves sports cars and would go nuts to see it. I told him we would be back next weekend for a wedding and were planning on driving the Corvette.

Well, yesterday at the wedding we saw Scott and he asked if we were in the Corvette. Yes, but it was at the in-laws house and we drove them in their car. So shortly after I get back from golfing this morning, Paul says "There goes Scott driving by. Probably showing Ben your car." By the time I get to the window they have turned the corner and were driving away. I told Paul to call them and bring Ben back so he could really see it and I would take him for a ride.

Shortly they were back and I put the booster-seat in the Corvette. While putting the seat in, little brother asked if he could go too "I'll ride in the back seat" I tried to explain that the Corvette didn't have a back seat, but he didn't hear me at all and walked off pouting. I put Ben in the seat, buckled him up and off we went for a ride. You could sense the excitement from the little 6 year old. He had a million questions. How fast does this car go? You won't drive that fast will you? Etc, etc. We got out toward the edge of town and I romped on it pretty good (took it up to about 75-80) and he said "Are we going to fly?" Went out a few miles and turned around and he asked "Can you make it go fast again?" So I obliged the little guy this time taking it up to about 90. He had eyes as big as saucers.

When we got back to the house he told me "Don't go as fast with my brother, it will scare him." So we swapped boys and I took the other one (and his Teddy bear) for a short ride, it was great. I asked him "Are you kind of excited?" "A little," he said, "but Teddy is really having a good time."

Once we got back the two boys couldn't stop talking about their ride and mom and dad were all smiles and thanks. "You really made two boys very happy today." I think I got as much out of it as they did.

IMG_20120812_122626.jpg

Couldn't legally do that in Indiana...

Well done Tom!
That's 2 very happy little boys in your photo. . . and they'll likely someday post the story themselves, all about their first Corvette ride!

This is a story I related a few years ago about my encounter with a 10 year old Corvette enthusiast:

Thanks Zora: A Kid's First Corvette Ride!

I ran into a childhood friend this afternoon, a woman that I probably haven't seen in 35 years! Sylvia was a few years older than me, and she occasionally sat with us - myself, my brother and my sisters - when my mom and dad would go out for dinner or other social events on weekends, and before I was old enough to take over babysitting duties.

The years have been kind to her, she's as sweet and pretty as I remember. And her fondness for children obviously remains the same as she was accompanied by her nephew, a boy of about 10 or 11. He was a very nice young man. Actually, he was a breath of fresh air with his "pleased to meet you, ma'am," when we were finally introduced.

Sylvia and I were both rushed in the parking lot of the doctor's office, and though we spoke, we did not initially recognize each other. Of course, part of that may be due to the fact that we were both enjoying HIS enthusiasm so much that we paid little attention to anything else.

When she stopped her vehicle, the boy absolutely bounded out of the truck and raced around to see my car. He had borrowed her cell phone and was dialing his mother, then proceeded to describe in great detail to her the really "cool" Corvette he was looking at. He was rapid firing questions at me and relaying them to his mother about the model year, color, body style, etc.

I answered his questions, then went into the doctor's office to sign in for my appointment. At that time, I finally got a good look at his Aunt and realized who she was. We sat and talked and when her nephew came in, he was even more thrilled to be personally introduced to the lady that owned the Corvette! No kidding! Brandon sat and talked to us about cars and although it was obvious his knowledge was somewhat limited, his enthusiasm more than made up for it.

I asked him, IF it was okay with his Aunt, and they could wait until I was finished with my appointment, would he like to go for a ride? I wouldn't have thought his grin could get any bigger but it did, and especially when she said "Oh yes, I think you should!"

By the time I was through with my appointment, everyone in the office was aware that this young man was going for his first Corvette ride, even my doctor, who told me that he thought the boy was sitting in front of the door to make sure I didn't forget him. And I couldn't have forgotten him if I wanted to, because his enthusiasm was infectious.

So we made our travel plans, Sylvia and I exchanged cell phone numbers just in case, and I told her I would meet her about 8 miles up the highway at a gas station we both knew. Even though it was full dark by then, we dropped the top since it was only about 63 degrees and he absolutely HAD to have the top down. Then we plugged Joe Cocker into the CD player for some cruisin' music and hit the highway. I put her through her paces with some spirited acceleration, but was mindful of the speed limit and the precious cargo I was carrying and never went over 70 mph. It didn't matter anyway - he loved the takeoffs - he was very vocal and appreciative, and so excited that I don't think he was looking at the speedometer.

We were sitting at the station when his Aunt Sylvia arrived to pick him up. I was taking his photo with my camera phone, mentally beating myself up that I didn't put the digital camera back in my car after I used it this morning. Any other time it would have been in there!

Sylvia and I exchanged email addresses and I promised to send her copies of the photos if I can do anything with them. He gave me the best hug I've had since Christmas, the best Corvette grin I've seen yet, and a Corvette memory to last a lifetime.

Thanks to all of you for reading this and letting me share it with you. I hope you enjoy the story half as much as Sylvia and Brandon and I enjoyed writing it for you.

And thanks Zora.

Gotta pass it on!
:wJane Ann

"Corvette Fever" has NO age boundaries !:v

Andy :w

I was 15 or 16 when I saw my first Corvette, a 53-55 model and immediately loved it. Then the 56 model came out and I was hooked for good. Previous to the Corvette, I thought that a red jeed CJ-5 was the vehicle to own, but the vette changed all that. In 1960, I purchased a red '56 (all I could afford, but really wanted a 1960 model) and had it through my last several years in college plus the one year of graduate school. Traded it for a used white SWC in 1964 and went to Alaska as my first tour of duty. From then on it was Corvettes, as I purchased a 66-427 roadster upon my transfer from Alaska to Washington DC (yes I wish I still owned all three). Been in them ever since and my love for Corvettes grows as I age. Joined Corvette clubs, am lifetime member of NCM and NCCC, member of 2 Corvette clubs in Colorado plus the RMCSC. Yesterday went on a 500 mile mystery meal cruise with the Down the Road Corvette Club to the Rawlings Territorial State Prison (I was allowed one phone call - my wife said she was glad I finally found a place to call home), and still participate in the CAC as a supporting member. I find that the Corvette experience is a life long passion. Friends I haven't seen in years ask me if I still drive Corvettes (seems they all associate my Corvettes with me, as it should be), of course I say yes. Life could have been a lot less happier without a Corvette or 2 or 3 in it. I am grateful for all of the friends I have made due to Corvettes - we share a common interest that cannot be surpassed. As LT4man says, save the wave and I do.
Barrett

Couldn't legally do that in Indiana...

Theres alot of things that happen in a Vette that are pushing/exceeding the limits of the law.........:w

Odd that my first memorable encounter with a Vette was at my dad's funeral.

Well done dude.:upthumbs

I was 15 or 16 when I saw my first Corvette, a 53-55 model and immediately loved it. Then the 56 model came out and I was hooked for good. Previous to the Corvette, I thought that a red jeed CJ-5 was the vehicle to own, but the vette changed all that. In 1960, I purchased a red '56 (all I could afford, but really wanted a 1960 model) and had it through my last several years in college plus the one year of graduate school. Traded it for a used white SWC in 1964 and went to Alaska as my first tour of duty. From then on it was Corvettes, as I purchased a 66-427 roadster upon my transfer from Alaska to Washington DC (yes I wish I still owned all three). Been in them ever since and my love for Corvettes grows as I age. Joined Corvette clubs, am lifetime member of NCM and NCCC, member of 2 Corvette clubs in Colorado plus the RMCSC. Yesterday went on a 500 mile mystery meal cruise with the Down the Road Corvette Club to the Rawlings Territorial State Prison (I was allowed one phone call - my wife said she was glad I finally found a place to call home), and still participate in the CAC as a supporting member. I find that the Corvette experience is a life long passion. Friends I haven't seen in years ask me if I still drive Corvettes (seems they all associate my Corvettes with me, as it should be), of course I say yes. Life could have been a lot less happier without a Corvette or 2 or 3 in it. I am grateful for all of the friends I have made due to Corvettes - we share a common interest that cannot be surpassed. As LT4man says, save the wave and I do.
Barrett
:werd:
When I was 12 or 13, my cousin married a guy that had a 57, and as soon as I saw it I was hooked. Never had the chance to get one, and by the time I was 23 I was stationed at Ft. Devens, MA, where one of my buddies had a 69 that he bought new when he came home from Vietnam. I had gotten a 69 SS396 Chevelle when I got home, but still loved the Vettes. Fast forward thru marriage, a house, 3 kids, more animals than I care to count, and I found myself at 58 and looking seriously, this time, for a Vette. Found one that "I could live with" :L in 2006 just after I turned 60. I'm the 3rd owner, and will probably pass this one on to my daughter if she wants it. I don't think my son or other daughter has any interest in it, so 1 out of 3 makes my decision easier. I let the kids look at it when I'm out in it, and since it's a driver, it really doesn't matter if they get it a little messy.........it cleans up very well, unlike me :D! Seeing the smiles on the faces of the kids MORE than makes up for any additional time I have to spend cleaning it.:thumb And by the way, RedVette, I was stationed at Ft. Carson in 67-68, and LOVE Colorado Springs and the area.
Andy :w

My vette bug

my, dad ,RIP ,WOULD GO 2 A ESSO station for gas& repairs. Iwas 13 , the owner RAY COMPYON,aka "POPA CORVETTE" had a white 61 or 62, with fuel injection. instant addiction!!! few years later I worked there, pumped gas or sweeped floor. ESSO REG 00.13 GAL , EXTRA00.15 GAL. I started saving money ! RAY bought a 66coupe, 327///365hp. Iwould wax it for free. Senior year,I really talked up VETTE to DAD. Older brother was in drafted into 9th INFANTRY DIV. Then OCS, then RVN. :pat told DAD,former WW2, 8th AAF, :pat Icould die in RVN & never have a VETTE!!! IT worked a 59 c1 283 3speed !! sold that went 2 RVN, came home bought 70 ss 402. Sold that bought a 69 coupe 350/300hp auto w ac c3.then a 74 ta .married 2kids .longgggggeeeeddddd for another. finally 4 years ago bought a 00coupe silver auto C-5 aka carlc1c3c5--now w 373 HP@tyres.. now saving for a c-6 gs coupe auto w a supercharger!! IT DOESN T end :v :happyanim: LIFE IS SHORT,,ENJOY THE RIDE!!! in a VETTE,the only AMERICAN made SPORTS CAR !!! :upthumbs

The Addiction

When I was about 10 or so and we went to a little country Chevrolet dealer in Iowa. The only car in the show room was a brand new Vette, it was about a '61 or '62. From that day, I said one day I would own one. A few years later, a friend of my dad offered me a ride home; it was a Vette! That just set the desire in concrete. About 5 years ago on my birthday, my wife looked at me and said that is was time to seriously look for a Vette. I found my baby a couple of months later and I still have trouble getting the smile off of my face when I am driving it. My grandsons make sure that everyone in their neighborhood that their grandpa has a Vette, so I think the seed has been planted.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom