Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How Do You Tell Them Apart

S

Skylark

I've been out of the Vette culture for a number of years - my last one was a 74 - so, I've not kept up. What are the subtle differences in appearance of the C-5s from year to year? When I see one one the street, is there any way to tell what year it is?

Thanks;shrug

Les

Model years

The bigger the grin........the newer the Vette. :D Seriously, check out the model years under the Tech center. You might find what you're looking for.

Anniversary badging and the wheals is the only thing I can think of. Also I think the 97 and 98 didn't have Hud but then some newer ones did not have this option either. Basic body was identical through out the C5 line up. The body side moldings were the B84 option and again it was available through out the years.

Hi, Les,
In terms of body styling, in the C5 model run, I'm pretty sure that the only distinctive modification (to differentiate a type of coupe) was the Z06/FRC with the "notch-back" window. If you see one, you'll know that it can't be any older than a '99. Still, even among the FRC design, the only way you'll know it's a true Z06 is the badging on the side.

In terms of year to year styling cues in the Coupe and Convertible, I don't think the C5 model run featured any other than what Zagger pointed out about the 50th Anniversary editions in 2003, with the unique maroon color and badging.

-Patrick

The wheels changed in 2000. The narrow spoked wheels are 2000-04. It's a somewhat common upgrade for the 97-99s though.

Scott

The '01 and up also have chrome exhaust tips from the factory.

Another small but seldom noticed change occurred in 2000 or 2001. Chevrolet removed the lock cylinder from the passengers door. It probably saved a few dollars.

Les, in the event you haven't seen this I thought I'd post a link to the Model Center HERE.

The Model Center Spec page in the CAC Tech Center contains links to each Corvette model year to the present. In those subsections, you can read up on the various specs, options available, production numbers, etc.

Another reference I have in my personal library is a copy of Mike Antonick's Corvette Black Book. I ordered my copy from the NCM. It comes in handy for those times I can't get online, or to carry along at shows.

Enjoy!
:wJane Ann

The Corvette Black Book is a great source of information...I wouldn't be without one. It's really difficult (even for Corvette salespeople! ;)) to be able to say 100% what year these cars are at first glance, especially with all the aftermarket products that are so readily available. Wheels are usually the first thing that new owners of the early C5s change so now it becomes even harder to tell what is a '97 and what is an '02. Then they put on a new exhaust system...and it goes on and on!

Elaine

Les, in the event you haven't seen this I thought I'd post a link to the Model Center HERE.

The Model Center Spec page in the CAC Tech Center contains links to each Corvette model year to the present. In those subsections, you can read up on the various specs, options available, production numbers, etc.

Another reference I have in my personal library is a copy of Mike Antonick's Corvette Black Book. I ordered my copy from the NCM. It comes in handy for those times I can't get online, or to carry along at shows.

Enjoy!
:wJane Ann

Thanks Jane Ann - and everyone.

Both the Model Center and the Corvette Black Book seem like just what I am looking for.

We joined the C5/C6 Registry and they sent us detail sheets on the various years. Our Bowling Green was only available in 00 and 01 and was by far the lowest of any colors produced. Although I like it very much, it wouldn't have been my first choice. But my wife absolutely loves the color and, that works for me.

:cool Les

Don't forget Z16! Big stripes, hard to miss! '04 only!

Hi, Les,
In terms of body styling, in the C5 model run, I'm pretty sure that the only distinctive modification (to differentiate a type of coupe) was the Z06/FRC with the "notch-back" window. If you see one, you'll know that it can't be any older than a '99. Still, even among the FRC design, the only way you'll know it's a true Z06 is the badging on the side.

In terms of year to year styling cues in the Coupe and Convertible, I don't think the C5 model run featured any other than what Zagger pointed out about the 50th Anniversary editions in 2003, with the unique maroon color and badging.

-Patrick

Ummmm........hellooooooo.....04 CE.....:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom