Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How far would u drive to a show?

Andy

Corvette
1976 Millenium Yellow / 1979 Greenwood Daytona
Just curious..How far would you normally travel to go to a car show? I know, many factors involved...but generally....Is 100 miles one way too far?

Andy

I've driven 100 miles one way to a show. I don't think I'd drive much more than that, unless it was a major event like Carlisle, etc

The furthest I've driven (one way) to a show was around 2600 miles, Montreal QC to Galveston Island TX.

My avatar on the left is a picture of the car outside the host hotel. :beer

Vettehead Mikey said:
The furthest I've driven (one way) to a show was around 2600 miles, Montreal QC to Galveston Island TX.
Did you win the "long distance" award at that show?

I have not yet taken my Vette to a show but I go to Carlisle about every year - and that is 300 miles from here. Hope to take the Vette next year.

I do believe, if need be, GSDiva would put pontoons on her Corvette to get to a show. :L

Andy said:
Just curious..How far would you normally travel to go to a car show? I know, many factors involved...but generally....Is 100 miles one way too far?

Andy

Depends on what you mean by a show. In the Pittsburgh, PA area, a cruise or show is a bunch of guys sitting around on lawn chairs behind their classic/antique cars with the hood propped up and the crowds looking at their car. :crazy

If you mean a fun time where you can drive, cruise and enjoy the company of like minded car nuts, then I am in that group. I drove over 700 miles from Pittsburgh, PA to Atlanta for an NCRS Regional meet. Way too much fun! I drove in a mini-caravan of four Corvettes down to Asheville, NC (around 300 miles or so) for another Regional meet. Caravaning was the best way to go by far.

If you are talking the proverbial B O R I N G park-your-car-and-pop-your-hood cruise then the limit is about 20 miles.

Gary

GaryS said:
Depends on what you mean by a show. In the Pittsburgh, PA area, a cruise or show is a bunch of guys sitting around on lawn chairs behind their classic/antique cars with the hood propped up and the crowds looking at their car. :crazy

If you mean a fun time where you can drive, cruise and enjoy the company of like minded car nuts, then I am in that group. I drove over 700 miles from Pittsburgh, PA to Atlanta for an NCRS Regional meet. Way too much fun! I drove in a mini-caravan of four Corvettes down to Asheville, NC (around 300 miles or so) for another Regional meet. Caravaning was the best way to go by far.

If you are talking the proverbial B O R I N G park-your-car-and-pop-your-hood cruise then the limit is about 20 miles.

Gary

Gary, I'm curious, what did you do at the end of 700 miles?

Back to the orginal question, I don't generally leave my coupe out overnite, so my shows are limited to places I can drive to and back in one or two hours. From my home I could be in Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, or Maryland, Not to mention central Pennsylvania. Each area has a little different flavor and different cars. You never know, you might even pick up a little tin in the process, which is always good for the ego.

Enjoy................

I drove to Auburn from Detroit....

about 280 miles i think....and came home smiling all the way....It was well worth the trip to meet the folks here at the CAC's first cruise fest....and i brought home a trophy for Ladie's choice...and was a close second in the peoples choice as well.No trip is too far if there are good people at it.

Right Bud? Right GerryLP? :D

Chas :beer

Hey Andy,
100 miles isn't too far if your headlights work :D By the way, thats about how far it is from Kennett Square to Sunbury PA - are you going to pay us a visit at the show this Sunday??
I have NO expectations other than spending the afternoon with the other guys in the club, and having my car out. I'll be sittin in a lawn chair with my hood closed, enjoying the day.

Craig

Hey Craig....Going to a place called Wheaton Village , also known as Vettes in Glasstown in Millville, New Jersey. Sunbury PA.is where???

Andy

craig32 said:
Hey Andy,
100 miles isn't too far if your headlights work :D By the way, thats about how far it is from Kennett Square to Sunbury PA - are you going to pay us a visit at the show this Sunday??
I have NO expectations other than spending the afternoon with the other guys in the club, and having my car out. I'll be sittin in a lawn chair with my hood closed, enjoying the day.

Craig

Andy said:
Sunbury PA.is where???

Andy
It's about 60 miles north of Carlisle on Rte. 15, then across the river. Sunday is a benefit car show for a stem cell transplant for a friend of the Mrs. There are 20 catagories, 2 of which are Corvettes. So our whole group will be in just one group. . . you get the picture!

Craig

Grizzly said:
Gary, I'm curious, what did you do at the end of 700 miles?

Back to the orginal question, I don't generally leave my coupe out overnite, so my shows are limited to places I can drive to and back in one or two hours. From my home I could be in Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, or Maryland, Not to mention central Pennsylvania. Each area has a little different flavor and different cars. You never know, you might even pick up a little tin in the process, which is always good for the ego.

Enjoy................

This was an NCRS judged show. You know, originality and all. I drove there, parked my car in the alloted location and it didn't move for two days. I judged and had the car judged. We have a security guard so that the cars insurance is protected. Many classic car insurance companies don't insure the car if it is unguarded or not garaged.
Gary

Chas said:
about 280 miles i think....and came home smiling all the way....It was well worth the trip to meet the folks here at the CAC's first cruise fest....and i brought home a trophy for Ladie's choice...and was a close second in the peoples choice as well.No trip is too far if there are good people at it.

Right Bud? Right GerryLP? :D

Chas :beer
For me it's not about chasing points or winning, it's about meeting old friends and making new ones ;) Having a good time with great folks and the experience of driving Rare to and from the event. Now that we've moved to Texas I doubt there are are many 5000 mile roundtrips ;LOL

Bud

Carlisle is about 150 miles one way from here. I've done that a couple of times. If I could have gotten away from work back in June, I would have driven to the CAC cruisefest in Bowling Green. Nothing like taking a cruise in your vette on the open road. :Steer

I've been around 150 one way to a show. It also happened to be in the same town I grew up in, my in-laws live there - free room/board, it was the same show that 1 year earlier I first saw my vette - I purchased it after the show and was invited back by the club throwing the event.

Other than that, any more than 40 or so miles and I don't usually consider it.

Funfest is close enought from STL that Im making that one too, within an hour and a half drive probably.

hey guys

I did limerock show this past labor day, about 2 hrs from me
maybe 100 miles..... what a great time soooo many different cars including vettes

and ended up with 3rd in class to boot.....
it was a long shot i emailed and asked if i could show and two days later i get a reply OK on the vette disrgard the cut off date

Just spoke with the guy's at the Greater Moncton Corvette club the other day. They just drove a 14 hour drive to get to the Carlisle car show. The Moncton corvette club and the nova-scotia corvette club drove together, about 15 Cars in Total. That's a long drive.

I'm gonna be joining them next year. Those car are meant for driving, not sitting in a garage or travel in trailers.

I typically end up driving around 150-200 miles one way to go to shows in the New England area. There are a FEW die hard Corvette shows in my area but they can't seem to get their act together and judge the car, NOT the owner.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom