Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How hard should a 84 Z51 automatic shift??

T

topcat_5150

I just had a transmission put in my 84 Z51. It has been back at the shop because it would not shift into overdrive. That seems to be working now, but I have another question. How hard should it shift thru the gears. It seems to shift ok, but 1st to 2nd seems a little soft. 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to OD shifts like BANG. How do the other 84 autos shift? I am wondering if I still need to take it back to the transmission shop and have them look at it.

Thanks.. ..Tim

BANG!!

Mine all shift hard. I like it that way. I think mine has a shift kit in it (that is what the guy I bought it from said--fresh rebuild W/shift kit), but when I nail it, it chirps.
--Drew:w

My stock 700R4 in my 84 with 76,000 on the clock shifts firm when driven normally "what ever that is," and shifts hard and solid through the gears when mashed to the floor from a dead stop. It shifts just like vehicles I have ridden in with shift kits installed when you keep it mashed through all the gears. I have kept up on the maintenance with regular fluid and filter changes and just recently had it flushed. My two cents. 84 CF 91 ZR-1

Thanks. That is what I thought. I guess If the shop is recomended to do vette trannys, it should go BANG in all of them. I will take it back when the owner gets back from Italy on the 21st.
I have owned this car for 11months and it has been in the shop for all of them. Last weekend was the 1st weekend I have actually got to drive it and run the tires off it. I have a new set sitting at the tire store for about 2 months now.

Thanks.. ..Tim

How hard should a 84 Z51 shift

Not sure about an '84 but when my '86 Z51 went "bang" into OD it required a new torque converter to cure it. My '85 shifts pretty easily into all gears even though it has a shift kit in it. Of course if I nail it through the gears it shifts harder but driving normally (again, "whatever that is"!) it slips easily through all of the gears including OD.
BTW the '86 also has a shift kit. I prefer a more solid shift such as the '86 gives me as opposed to the seamless shift that I get from the '85. Both trannys were rebuilt by the same guy but they are worlds apart in performance. They both work okay but have vastly different driving characteristics.

Good luck with it...........

Thanks. I will have to have the guy who built the transmission take it for a drive and see what he thinks. I think it should be consistent thru all gears, except mabey OD. Like I said before 1st to 2nd goes smooth and slow, and 2 to 3 and 3 to OD are pretty stiff.

Thanks.. ..Tim

The tighter the linkage

The harder the shifts... but all my 700 r-4's have been FIRM not BANGERS.

Vig!

How hard should a 84 Z51 automatic shift?

If one attempts to drive a stick in LA traffic, be it Z51 or not, one will quickly realize he/she has made a terrific mistake!

My '86 Z51 came with an auto too.

How hard should a 84 Z51 automatic shift

I think you are thinking of a ZR1............

No, Z51. The ZR1 did not come with the heavy duty susp. Bigger sway bars, power stering cooler, frame reenforcements on 87 up. All four exhaust tips open. Maybe these were on the 87 and up. My documentation that I have states that Z51 came only with the manual and coupe. Maybe the earlier one were different. Anyway you learn somthing new every day.

Obviously your documentation is wrong because several of us own Z51's...:)

I have a magazine from car and driver about the "new" 84 vette. It talks all about them. I believe it said that the Z51 on the '84s was 3.73 rear, stiffer torsion bars, 16" wheels, polyurathane bushings, and 13to1 instead of 15to1 steering ratio. When I get a chance, I will check into it.

..Tim

hmm

u know most of the replys on this topic isn't helping this dude out much, hehe,,,

anyways,, u know if you are idling to high on a auto matic it will shift hard when u put it into gear

what do u idle at in overdrive,,

Well, hmm, anyways,,,, Shadoeeeeeing.....dude......
It does take a genius (or a book) to know that if your idle or your RPM's are high it will shift hard from neutral to any drive gear. duh

topcat_5150,
I highly doubt that the problem is with your idle. Having just replaced my transmission and torque converter last week it does shift a lot smoother. My tranny is actually shifting a little too smooth for my taste. This will be corrected by making an adjustment to the Throttle Valve cable. It affects shift point, shift feel, and downshifts. Granted, I don't own an '84 and therefore I'm not that familiar with the Crossfire Injection I don't know how this is set-up on your engine, any transmission shop (I hope) would know how to do this for you.

Spiderman :w :_rock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom