Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How Hard?

Spiderman

Corvette
Gorgeous White '91 Coupe
I want to replace the front rotors and pads on my '91. I have done this before on a couple other vehicles but I have never even had the rims off the Vette.

Is there anything special or unique about the brakes on the front of my car (such as being four piston calipers) that would prevent a couple of "Weekend Warriors" from knocking this out in a day?

I would love to know what your thoughts are on this. :) Thanks.
Spiderman :w

Hey Spidey

It's cake

Jack up car

Remove tire(s)

Unbolt 2 bolts holding caliper to Knuckle

Rotors FALL off ( well maybe a little tug )

Clean everything up........

Replace pads

Put new rotors on

Reinstall calipers

Bada Bing

Your done
1 Hr MAX per side

Vig!

Place the ignition key on what I call, the "service" mode. Turn off the radio just in case. This should not turn the lights on the dash...or you went to far! You want to retract the the steering lock is all. This way, you can swing the wheels either way, without getting back in the car and possibly soiling the interior. If the suspension (knuckle) needs to be moved one way or the other, grab a wheel and swing it in the desired direction. Wear surgical gloves. Grease comes off these gloves better, if you need to wipe your hands.
The easiest way, is to elevate both front wheels off the ground. Removing the caliper bolts are a lot easier to remove and install now.
Remember for the next step, you are now going to push the pistons back in it's caliper. This will refill the master cylinder as this happens. If at one time, you topped off the M/C for a low level, (pad wear), now is the time capture any over flow of brake fluid.
Retract the caliper pistons if you have the correct tool. If not, try this. Since the rotors and old brakes are wasted (?), place a large flat blade screwdriver in between the brake pad and rotor. Push the pistons back inside the caliper. Don't cock the pistons at an angle but 90 degrees! Take it slow and careful. Use a shim for the one side you just retracted. Take the screwdriver to the other side, and do the same thing. If you don't shim the one side, the already retracted piston (s) will sometimes, "walk out" as you force the other pistons from the other side. Now send all the pistons "home." They should be flush with the caliper.
Clean the rotor carrier if there is rust build-up, or road grit. When installing the rotor, make sure both contact surfaces are debris free. This will make good contact for heat transfer, and the rotor should run "true" on the carrier housing.
The new pads should slide right in, and over the new rotor when installing the caliper back on the carrier housing. Remember to: "Torque" the caliper bolts to the proper specs!
Use brake clean to degrease the rotors. You know the rest of the assembly drill.
Burnish the brakes, and the job should be complete.

How hard

Whew! I didn't realize there was that many steps to it! I read vig's list and was saying, "yep, yep, yep, that's the way you do it." Then I read the next post. Very detailed and correct.

All I can do is offer encouragement, "piece of cake," as Vig said. Done it many times.
Funny I never had sense enough to unlock the steering wheel first. :)

The hardest part of this job is getting the front wheels of a Vette up off the ground. Many floor jacks don't fit under the cross memeber. I finally found one that did. Fortunately it don't go scooting down the driveway like those front wheel drive cars do.
Oh come on, you've all done that to a Toyota or something! Anyway you are safe with a Vette.

The trickest part is to not run fluid out of the master cylinder when you are depressing the pistons. But nothing about this job even approaches being difficult.

Good luck with it.............

An hour per side????

What were you using... just one hand?????;worship

Does anyone bother to remove the rusty rings around the edges of the disks? They stay unless you resurface. Is there a special tool for the home mech?
:t

When retracting the pistons, I use a large C-clamp against the old pad on one side and the caliper housing on the other. If you have multiple pistons then use two clamps. Real easy.
[RICHR]

One Hour per side

15 minutes work
30 minutes of next door neighbor tellin ya how to do it ( While your cleaning parts )
7.5 minutes drinking beer
7.5 minutes finishing that side

Vig!

7.5 minutes drinking beer??????

What were you using??? A straw?

Guess I may have to come out there and show you Calif. boys how to consume mass quantities while performing main-tain-ance.:_rock

Remomber

Dinking & Wenchin' r a bad ting

Speculishy wen your woikin on ur breakes

Do I do not rekomend dinking & twisting....

Unless SHE really HOT!

Uknow..It might cause Dain Brammage!

Vig!

Friends do not let friends work on their cars HAMMERED!

Drinkin' and wrenchin'.
Hmmm...maybe in my 20's.Not now.Used to have a 12 pack a night.
I don't think I've had 12 beers this year.Didn't stop for any reason,I just kinda lost interest.:puke

Brake jobs on a C-4 is a snap.Brake job on my old C-3 is a bad memory.Replacing my fuel pump on my C-3 is a bad memory.Come to think of it,my C-3 is a bad memory.It made me swear off GM for almost 15 years.

They made a complete turnaround,thank goodness.The C-4 is a breeze to work on.Welllllll,for the most part.

Oh,wait!I got laid more with the C-3. So it did have a good side.:J

But officer

Weave...hell I can't even knit!

----------Robin Willams

Vig!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom