Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How hot does the bell housing area get?

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
I am looking to run my wire harness from the inside of the car for the electronic controls for the motor down through the hump just behind the motor and above the bell housing and before the transmission.

Anyone see any problems with doing that? I am trying to hide the wires as much as possible. This would be one of the best areas.

IMG_0839notes-vi.jpg

Thoughts?

Most GM cars run wiring over the top of the belhousings, including the C4s. I don't seee any problem with it.The distbributor wires come out of that harness.;shrug I would put a plastic shield around it though.

Glenn
:w

Most GM cars run wiring over the top of the belhousings, including the C4s. I don't seee any problem with it.The distbributor wires come out of that harness.;shrug I would put a plastic shield around it though.

Glenn
:w
thanks that is great info to have. I am really trying to keep the wires invisible.....and that area will go a long way to keeping them hidden and out of mind.!!!!

Great!!!

thanks you!!!

Herb I will see if I can get a shot of my car tomorow. I came out in the same spot with a grommet and have had no problem with it, Mine is kinda hidden with the ignition sheilding
that is why I wanted to also see the inside carpet area, where did you take it out relative to the inside and how did it look in the engine bay....I am putting the Accel EMC in the passnegers kick pad area, the coil smarts up under the dash on the passenger side above where the heater used to be and the coil down low between the frame rails just to the right of the starter motor.

Are you saying the coil will be under the car exsposed to the elements?

I mounted my MSD box in the engine bay, down low ,on the passenger side foot well where the passengers foot right foot would be (but in the engine bay) and it was a mistake as it got wet and failed

Are you saying the coil will be under the car exsposed to the elements?

I mounted my MSD box in the engine bay, down low ,on the passenger side foot well where the passengers foot right foot would be (but in the engine bay) and it was a mistake as it got wet and failed

This is what I was going to mount down between the frame rails....is this going to be a problem?
acc-75607_w.jpg

here is the link to it: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ACC-75607&N=700+115&autoview=sku

This I am mounting in the passenger side up above where the heater would have been:
acc-75606_w.jpg

link: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ACC-75606&N=700+115&autoview=sku

And the ECM, the brains I am mounting in the passenger side behind the kick pad. Sorry couldn't find a photo

problems??????

I could not find the installation instructions for that excact coil

But It looks like it would be a problem if it got wet, One of the coils I did find instructions for said it must be mounted so the maximum lentgh of the coil wire is no longer then 24"

I could not find the installation instructions for that excact coil

But It looks like it would be a problem if it got wet, One of the coils I did find instructions for said it must be mounted so the maximum lentgh of the coil wire is no longer then 24"
yup, length is a problem, and getting wet will be a problem from the view point of shorting out. I will find a location to mount it, I am just trying to stay off the firewall. I do not want to put any holes or mount anything that doesn't absolutely have to go there because there is no other spot.

I will have to check for above the bellhousing.....I will find a place....only problem is that the best place is on the firewall from an ease of location....I am not giving up just yet! Perhaps I can make a bracket of some sort and hand it off the back of the intake manifold but above the bell housing......sigh.....:puke

What about in the car, on the firewall just behind the distributor,
the problem will be with the length of the wire that goes to the distributor. I believe there is a lnegth restriction on how far you can go......it owuld have to go down and then back up as I am hiding any wires coming out.....

If you mounted the coil inside the firewall as suggested and ran the coil wire through about where the arrow points in your photo do you think anyone would ever notice it. I'm imagining that photo with the distributor installed and the plug wires on.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom