Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How hot does your c4 run?

E

Eyerock

My baby will run at 200-205 driving down road and will hit 230 in stop and go traffic. Sometimes with the air on it will reach 235! Both fans are working properly and im told this is Normal for LT1 corvette to run this temp.
How bout the rest of you?

185 down the highway...195 max in traffic..all withthe help of a manual turn on switch for the "puller " fan.

My 88

Cruising highway A/C blasting 68 mph 2Krpm
( 100 degree ambient air) 200-205

Stop & Go same conditions 230......

@235 ( Stop & GO ) I shut the A/C off ( 120 ambient air )

I get chicken...

The the car drops back to 220.. and holds

70% Water 25% antifreeze 5% water wetter.

Main fan on @ 175 Aux fan on @ 200 195 Stat

That's the story from sunny So Cal

Vig!

I think it's pretty unnerving how hot these motors can climb. The ECM is set to kick on the fans at 228 degrees, and shut them down at 217. Right now, that's exactly what my car does although I'm not that crazy about it. Within the next few weeks I'd like to put a 160 thermostat in as well as the chip to make the fans come on sooner.

I recently called to order both items, and they were backordered.:duh I'll try again this week.

Yea thats exactly what I get also. My car tends to run in the 195-200 range at 80 degrees outside and moving about 45mph. Mine too will go to 228 before the fans turn on and usually reaches 230 before going downward to 217 to the fan cutoff. Ususlly the a/c being on makes the car run cooler because this forces the fans in the high speed mode. The way Im told the system works is, Fans go on at 228 at low speed if the air is off. The fans will switch to high speed if the water temp reaches 235 and low speed is not enough. Fans always run at high with a/c on. Fans turn off around 217 degrees. The "Low" speed was added in 1995 because people were complaining the fan was too noisy.

my 94 usually runs between 180-185 on warm days.
Installing a 160 deg Tstat & reprogramming the fans made a huge difference.

Keep in mind

The radiator temp is proportional to the outside temp.

So we who live in warmer climates have bigger problems keepin our babies cool.

Vig!

Amen to that. On an average day here, car sitting on the asphalt in the sun, it's almost warmed up before I start it.

Cruisin at 75MPH 185 deg in 95 ambient temp with A/C on. In stop and go ; same ambient she can climb to 240 at times with A/C running.:eek
I only have the single fan in the 85. If I add the pusher she will come down a bunch. I'm running 160 stat. , stage II chip. Fan on at 174 deg. With the exception of extreme heat days down here she will never exceed 220 deg.
I'm going with a lighter anti-freeze mix sometime this month 75/25. That should help a bit. Then install the fan.

Carlo

My physics professor told us that water has a high thermal inertia. I guess he meant that water doesn't change temperature easily.

I don't mix any water in with my coolant and I'm here in the Chicago area. We went through a recent hot spell and when I started the car up, the coolant was already 110+ degree's.

My coolant usually runs in the mid 190's. I'm looking into a chip to turn the fans on earlier though, possibly Ed Wright.

Wow Edmond, I thought running straight anti-freeze was a big no-no. At least that's what I've always been told. :confused

How hot does your C4 run?

I have an after market fan switch that turns on at 207 and off at 180 degrees. Unfortunately I still have the 190 degree thermostat installed.
We have been having unusually hot weather here in Portland reaching 105 degrees. I know that isn't hot for some of you guys but it is horribly hot for us!
Anyway my '85 never goes above 210 degreees with this setup. The down side is that once the fans come on they never go off. That costs me about one mile to a gallon. I need to get the 180 stat installed ASAP. But I am happy for the performance this summer. Glad I made the change. I used to watch that temp go up to 230 and cringe.

I too was made to understand that the best solution was a 50/50 mix of antifreeze to water. Am I mistaken about that?

. CLEAN BETWEEN YOUR RADIATORS...you will not believe what is between them. I have seen a pound of sand, leaves, plastic bags, cigarette butts, and old lottery tickets. I have also seen people clean the radiator well and get back 40 degrees in temperature

http://www.gulicks.com/vette/projects/radiator/5.jpg

Edmond said:
My physics professor told us that water has a high thermal inertia. I guess he meant that water doesn't change temperature easily.

I don't mix any water in with my coolant and I'm here in the Chicago area. We went through a recent hot spell and when I started the car up, the coolant was already 110+ degree's.

My coolant usually runs in the mid 190's. I'm looking into a chip to turn the fans on earlier though, possibly Ed Wright.

Edmond, If you are looking for your fans to turn on earlier, I can do that for you if you are interested.. My prices are a lot cheaper then Ed Wright's too.

Considering we are both in the Chicago area, you can come over and I can burn the PROM with the fans set lower..

Let mw know.. 89ZZ4 on the forum has one of my PROMs in his car right now.

Mine used to run like that too. I did not like the temps that high (even if they are supposed to be) Here's what I did:

1) CLEAN the RADIATOR, mine had a few leaves but was loaded with beach sand that you could not see untill it was removed.
2) Install a 160 stat.
3) Do a TB bypass while coolant is out.
4) Reprogram chip to turn both fans on at 180 and off at 170.

Now my temp gauage never makes it to halfway (there is only a min and max number on a 91 gauage) even in 90+ outside temps with the A/C on.

Works great and I feel much better driving it too.

Hmmm

I'm suprised to see all the C4s that are running so hot. I start to really pay attention to my coolant temp when it starts to read about 205 sitting in traffic with the A/C cranked and its 95 degrees outside and hotter.
I usually see a stable 197 regardless of outside temperatures or speed as long as I'm moving...sitting still I've seen it hit 207 and I was getting worried. That however was a 105+ degree day on the highway and sitting for 30 minutes in traffic without movement. The radiator was just getting hot air off the pavement and the big trucks around me. My coolant system is 100% stock original. I run about a 50/50 mixture of Prestone GM Dex-Cool. Its my daily driver and as far as I know, there isn't anything in the way of the radiator...though I haven't taken anything apart to verify that it is clean since I bought the car last December. I guess I won't be too concerned anymore seeing temps rise to 200-207.
:)

Just got back from show in Danbury, CT, outside temp was around 94, my 86 ran around 147 in stop and go traffic and around 140 on the open road, with ac running full tilt.

I dont have one. Its been like this since I bought the car, two months ago. I have never seen it run over 160 even when it sat in the shop getting its emissions checked and it was hot that day, in the 90's. Maybe my sensor is off, I know the fan kicks in somewhere around the 140 range. I had the radiator flushed, thats about it for the cooling. My oil temp runs around 240 when the water is at 150

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom