Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How long can I keep a C6?

Only time will tell!
It's like asking how long are you going to live - my MetLife rep would like to talk to you about that.

I'm working on 13 years on my 92 C4. My grandkids may get is some day. Then again, they may not.

I think there is more to this than meets the eye, first of all any of the worn out parts on older vettes are still made or can be made.

I think the biggest problem is going to be all the circuit boards and electronics that are going to start failing, just look at computers.

As far as the mechanicals goes, the parts should last longer than all the other years, after all the materials should be of higher qualityand the oils and tollerances should make things last longer.

But I work in the tech (computer industry) and we see boards malfuction all the time, one main reason is heat, (there's no heat in the corvette is there?;LOL)

Mart

I don't care what vehicle it is, be it a car, truck, boat, train, plane, anything; if you don't take care of it and perform the required routine maintenance, as well as taking care of the appearance, it won't last long.

There's more to "Pride of Ownership" than just owning the vehicle. One must be either capable of performing the maintenance duties themselves, or have the necessary monies available to have someone else do it for them. ;)

Your absolutly right Ken, But it's gonna be really hard to maintain an electronics board. Just think of the dust and crud that builds up on the back of the radio and other controls in the dash.

And that dust is what blocks the parts from cooling properly, and add a little moisture (humidity) to the dust and ZAP there goes a board.

:beer
Mart

Mart said:
Your absolutly right Ken, But it's gonna be really hard to maintain an electronics board. Just think of the dust and crud that builds up on the back of the radio and other controls in the dash.

And that dust is what blocks the parts from cooling properly, and add a little moisture (humidity) to the dust and ZAP there goes a board.

:beer
Mart

THATS why I'm knot gettin' the GPS, OnStar, or the Heads up display! It cuts cost and you have less to worry about.

Automotive electronics are more robust

Mart said:
I think there is more to this than meets the eye, first of all any of the worn out parts on older vettes are still made or can be made.

I think the biggest problem is going to be all the circuit boards and electronics that are going to start failing, just look at computers.

As far as the mechanicals goes, the parts should last longer than all the other years, after all the materials should be of higher qualityand the oils and tollerances should make things last longer.

But I work in the tech (computer industry) and we see boards malfuction all the time, one main reason is heat, (there's no heat in the corvette is there?;LOL)
Mart
Mart,
The electronics might outlast the rest of the car. The automotive standards are much higher than those for consumer goods. My 82 still has the original ECM. The sensors and actuators will die long before the boards.

I'm sure you could drive it for at least 15 years without any major mechanical issues. I have almost 101K on my 88' and it's still going strong.

I think the better question would be:

"How long do you want to keep it?"

Edmond said:
I think the better question would be:

"How long do you want to keep it?"
Shouldn't the answer to that be until someone pries the key from your cold dead hand?:L

JohnGrawcock said:
Shouldn't the answer to that be until someone pries the key from your cold dead hand?:L

Hmmm, I guess if you were the car type bred with a gun nut type. Wait, that's like half of us in here! ;LOL

C6 Dawg said:
I heard this one guy say that he had hiz C3 for 33 years!!! How long could I keep a C6? Are they like the compact cars that are only good for a phew yrs, r are thay like the older carz that r good 4 many yrs? Thanks,
C6Dawg
Yo Dawg,

Please do me a favor, spell check your posts before you post. If I recall correctly, you're getting ready to go to college. Please recognize that if you hand in term papers and homework with these types of spelling errors, you won't last long in college.

I've had my unrestored, driven, and certainly not pristine 63 Daytona Blue 4spd roadster for 39 years. It is mostly retired now, with most of the work done by the 99 Sebring Silver MN6 Coupe. It has been through 4 years of college, 2 years of military service, many employers, 3 houses, two marriages, three kids, (and dozens of speeding tickets!). During this time, I have had over 20 daily drivers, various pickups & Suburbans, and 10's of boats. I could never sell it as it is a member of the family. I can only wish that all forum members and vette owners could have as rewarding an ownership as I have had. How long can one keep them? Who knows!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom