Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How many lbs. per wheel?

Gator05

Corvette
1964 Convertible
Can someone explain the math behind the tire load index--how to calculate # of lbs per wheel--to figure out the load index when buying new tires?

Will a load index of 81 or 1,019 lbs per wheel/tire work on a mid-year? Thanks.

Hey..a Gator!

Sorry I don't have your answer, but I did want to say welcome to the CAC from a fellow Gator transplanted in Maryland.

I'm sure one of the engineering-types will have your answer for you pretty quick, meanwhile, welcome to the CAC and Gooooo Gators!:upthumbs

Gator05,

Like Dennis said, welcome to the :CAC

Here's some info on........

Load Index
For example, P195/60R15 87S - The load index (87) is the tire size's assigned numerical value used to compare relative load carrying capabilities. In the case of our example the 87 identifies the tire's ability to carry approximately 1,201 pounds.

The higher the tire's load index number, the greater its load carrying capacity.
89 = 1,279 pounds
88 = 1,235 pounds
87 = 1,201 pounds
86 = 1,168 pounds
85 = 1,135 pounds

A tire with a higher load index than that of the Original Equipment tire indicates an increase in load capacity. A tire with a load index equal to that of the Original Equipment tire indicates an equivalent load capacity. A tire with a lower load index than the Original Equipment tire indicates the tire does not equal the load capacity of the original.

Typically, the load indexes of the tires used on passenger cars and light trucks range from 70 to 110.

23r02mq.jpg

Taking into consideration that your midyear probably weighs in at between 3,200 and 3,400 lbs, plus driver, passenger, a tank of gas and some luggage, any tire rated 81 or above should do.

ZRGator said:
Hey..a Gator!

Sorry I don't have your answer, but I did want to say welcome to the CAC from a fellow Gator transplanted in Maryland.

I'm sure one of the engineering-types will have your answer for you pretty quick, meanwhile, welcome to the CAC and Gooooo Gators!:upthumbs

Hey ZRGator--good to hear from you and Go GATORS!

And, 67 Heaven,thanks!
Time to head to Tire Rack for some new treads with your information at hand.

Thanks again!

Static load capacity and dynamic load capacity are two different things; Corvettes are "over-tired" for their weight on purpose, in order to provide a safety margin due to the cornering stresses imposed on the tires. Almost all tires of typical Corvette sizes are load index 90 or more.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom