Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: How many Square Foot of Sound Deadening do I need?

Bolisk

Corvette
1972 LS5 Convertible PS, PB, A/C
So, I've seen a bunch of links on the forums regarding sound deadening mat (i.e. Dynamat etc). If anyone else is looking for the correct product for this type of project. . .you HAVE to go to this web site:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

This was a VERY good write up about comparing all the different sound deadening matt products out there.

At any rate, the question I have is, how many square feet (sq / ft) do I need to cover the floors, transmission tunnel, the wall behind the seats, rear area, and wheel wells? Does anyone know or remember from previous projects?

As of right now I do not plan to do the outer door skins, or the A / B pillers, or the T-Tops. (but if I did, how much sq / ft would I need for the entire interior as well?)

BTW: I will only be doing one layer of sound deadener.

So, I've seen a bunch of links on the forums regarding sound deadening mat (i.e. Dynamat etc). If anyone else is looking for the correct product for this type of project. . .you HAVE to go to this web site:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

This was a VERY good write up about comparing all the different sound deadening matt products out there.

At any rate, the question I have is, how many square feet (sq / ft) do I need to cover the floors, transmission tunnel, the wall behind the seats, rear area, and wheel wells? Does anyone know or remember from previous projects?

As of right now I do not plan to do the outer door skins, or the A / B pillers, or the T-Tops. (but if I did, how much sq / ft would I need for the entire interior as well?)

BTW: I will only be doing one layer of sound deadener.

I used Reflectix from Lowe's and foil tape. It works great for sound and as a heat barrier. One roll should take care of the cabin area... at approx $28 per roll, it's much less than Dynamat.

Ralph

I wasn't planning on using Dynamat. WAY too expensive. I had actually settled on Damplifier. . .as it seemed to out perform all the others. . .including Dynamat. . .and was far cheeper.

I've thought of using reflextix. . .saw that alot of people used it on this forum. However, I think i'm going to still go with a Byutal material.

Do you remember appoximatly how may square feet was in the Reflectix roll at Lowes?

I wasn't planning on using Dynamat. WAY too expensive. I had actually settled on Damplifier. . .as it seemed to out perform all the others. . .including Dynamat. . .and was far cheeper.

I've thought of using reflextix. . .saw that alot of people used it on this forum. However, I think i'm going to still go with a Byutal material.

Do you remember appoximatly how may square feet was in the Reflectix roll at Lowes?

50 sq ft. The roll is 2' x 25'.

I also used reflextix but I wanted it more as a heat barrier. I drive with the T Tops off and the rear window removed most of the time so the sound of the exhaust and the wind are ever present. I don't think a sound deadener would be of much use in a Corvette as it is a top down wind in your face kind of car. And probably one of the most satisfying things about owning a Corvette is to listen to a finely tuned exhaust. More important to me was to reduce the heat in the driver compartment.

The guy who wrote up that article had a Honda Civic EX and most important to him was to listen to his stereo and talk on the cell phone. It all depends on what your goal is.

I turn my cell phone off when driving the Corvette. First because I don't want to be bothered. Second because I can't hear or be heard with the tops off.

Has anyone used lizard skin or something similar? I saw it being used on the Horsepower TV show. Was wondering if it really works. It would be thinner and easier than cutting and gluing pieces. I need something that works for that oven I have to sit in.

It runs about 189 a bucket and I think I would probably need 2 buckets to do inside and out.

http://www.lizardskin.com/

I agree with you Red70Vette. The point is to have the windows down, rear window out. . .and your foot down. However, I was wondering if a sound deadener would help reduce other road noise.. .that may detract from the sound of the exhaust. After all, I do want to install a set of Flowmaster Delta 40's. :D

Regards
Bolisk

I think you'll be ok with the flow masters and no sound proofing. Mine over ride all other sounds that the car makes LOL.

LOL!!! Yeah. . .I would hope so!

My only concern is my wifes ability to stand the noise. If she doesn't like it. . .I will be riding solo for most of the cruises. So my logic was that the sound dampening might reduce the interiour resonace a bit. . .while keeping major exhaust sound outside the car to the rear.

If no one thinks that something like "dynomax" would help reduce the interior resonance. . .then perhaps I will pass on it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom