Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How much do you drive your C1- C2?

I dont drive my '59 during the winter anymore, used to back in the 60-70's when it was my only car. I try to drive every weekend during the rest of the year. The 283 has been in since 1967 without a rebuild yet, its still as much fun to drive as it was back in 67.

I try to get out on weekends to "Old Town" or an area restaurant :beer with my car when it's not to hot. No A.C. down here in Florida is like not having a heater in the North :D

wiscane said:
No A.C. down here in Florida is like not having a heater in the North :D

Same here, prefer to drive in the winter, but pretty much year round driving at least once every weekend.

Took it to work today. It was nice out (65F).

Doug

Doug,
It was just a little warmer here in Orlando 71. I spent the day waxing the car. The NCRS convention starts here tomorrow in Kissimmee (OldTown). I'm not showing my car....but I want it to look nice when I drive it there.
I was thinking about putting in an aftermarket AC unit. The unit costs about $1300. but I need to find someone to put it in. I don't mind tearing my engine apart... but AC like my home plumbing is something I don't do :crazy
....Ed

Up here in Mass we have been lucky this winter..so the driving season is a bit longer..I drive my 67 bb every chance i can,,,it goes to all the new england states each year, with the catskills in NY each spring...Carlisle in august and every cruise night or weekend show i can find....since i got the car i average about 7800 miles each year....actually more but i had one year that kept me near home....so it brought the average down...most i did one summer was 10,034 miles.....if it breaks or crashes you fix the damn thing...its a car. so now you see why i wouldnt go near the ncrs....hahahaha they would shred my car to pieces....but ...i really dont care...i have one hell of a time driving it and seeing the peoples reactions to it.....loud pipes rule....

midyearroadster427 said:
Up here in Mass we have been lucky this winter..so the driving season is a bit longer..I drive my 67 bb every chance i can,,,it goes to all the new england states each year, with the catskills in NY each spring...Carlisle in august and every cruise night or weekend show i can find....since i got the car i average about 7800 miles each year....actually more but i had one year that kept me near home....so it brought the average down...most i did one summer was 10,034 miles.....if it breaks or crashes you fix the damn thing...its a car. so now you see why i wouldnt go near the ncrs....hahahaha they would shred my car to pieces....but ...i really dont care...i have one hell of a time driving it and seeing the peoples reactions to it.....loud pipes rule....

:eek

Wow!!

Now that is enjoying your mid-year!

These cars are so much fun to drive...not refined but they sure make you smile!! :)

I agree wholeheartedly with the loud pipes. They are great for setting off car alarms!

Thanks for all of the responses.

Please keep them coming!

Here's a :w from South Florida..

Pedro

Like the rest up here in the Northeast I drive only when the roads are clear. The winter here on Long Island has been relatively mild so far ( great, now that I have said that it will turn to crap ) anyway, been driving about 1-2 times a week. From Sring to Fall I usually do about 3 runs a week. About 2500-3000 miles per year. With a BB, side pipes, 4 speed and 4:11 gears most runs usually last about an hour and/or 60 miles. Love those side pipes but after an hour or so I need to get out and shake it off. With 4:11 gears the highway miles are limited - I can almost see the gas gauge move. Yep, setting off those car alarms is quite a thrill. It still amazes how these things came from the factory this way - got to love the muscle car era. Steve

I have never driven my '63 Sting Ray since I bought it over 10 years ago !

...but that's only because I bought it in boxes and still haven't gotten around to rebuilding it yet :(

But I am working on it now --although slowly-- I intend to have it on the road before Christmas 2006 !!!

Then I'll drive it a minumum of 10,000 miles a year to make up for lost time. :beer

srthom13 said:
Like the rest up here in the Northeast I drive only when the roads are clear. The winter here on Long Island has been relatively mild so far ( great, now that I have said that it will turn to crap ) anyway, been driving about 1-2 times a week. From Sring to Fall I usually do about 3 runs a week. About 2500-3000 miles per year. With a BB, side pipes, 4 speed and 4:11 gears most runs usually last about an hour and/or 60 miles. Love those side pipes but after an hour or so I need to get out and shake it off. With 4:11 gears the highway miles are limited - I can almost see the gas gauge move. Yep, setting off those car alarms is quite a thrill. It still amazes how these things came from the factory this way - got to love the muscle car era. Steve

Steve,
Those BBs sound especially nice through the sidepipes!!:upthumbs

srthom13 said:
Yep, setting off those car alarms is quite a thrill. Steve
I enjoy doing this. Setting off car alarms is fun.
Sometimes I'll back up just to "make sure" that no one is really breaking into the cars and it was my sidepipes setting them off! :D
My wife says it's the kid in me.
I'm 54 years young.

Thanks for the reply!!

Seaside63 said:
I have never driven my '63 Sting Ray since I bought it over 10 years ago !

...but that's only because I bought it in boxes and still haven't gotten around to rebuilding it yet :(

But I am working on it now --although slowly-- I intend to have it on the road before Christmas 2006 !!!

Then I'll drive it a minumum of 10,000 miles a year to make up for lost time. :beer
Wow!!
That's way too long..

These cars are just too beautiful to be sitting in boxes!!
Put it together and drive it.
We'll be waiting to see your car... and hear how much you love driving it!

Here's to your start..:beer

Pedro

I just got back from three hours in Heaven. ;) I love seeing the expressions on people's faces when they see a car like this in late January in the Great White North. :eek

I've been driving it one or two days a week all winter. Dry roads......sunny days. This is winter? ;shrug

I'll soon have 8,000 miles on it since the rebuild. :upthumbs Life is good.

I guess I'm one that has fallen a little from grace. Have had a lot of other things going so the vette sits in the garage covered up. Put 38 miles on it last year. Walk by it every day but that's about it. Oh well, If i relocate to the sunny South maybe that will change. Right now my wife refers to it's side of the garage as building 64 because it doesn't move often.

Thanks for all the replies.

It's interesting to me the very different lives that our old cars "live'.

A lot is determined by geography and our schedules , but none the less it is good reading!

Please keep the responses coming!!

Pedro:w

jimbo64 said:
I guess I'm one that has fallen a little from grace. Have had a lot of other things going so the vette sits in the garage covered up. Put 38 miles on it last year. Walk by it every day but that's about it. Oh well, If i relocate to the sunny South maybe that will change.

Mine has been driven approximately five times since my father and I got it painted and running again (some mechanical difficulties arose) last September. The problem is that the car is at my parents place (800 miles from me) for now. It'll be a little while longer before I can get the car up here (should be getting a place with a garage this summer). Then it'll be a few more things to replace on it and I'll be looking forward to cruising around the Michigan area. Who knows, maybe a cruise in, too.

In 32 years of ownership of my '67 I have put 138K miles on it. I drive it year round, once or twice a week in dry weather. It never gets stored and I am pushing past 199K right now. More miles of smiles. Dennis

Drove my '67 coupe very seldom in Washington because of the weather (rain). Moved to Surprise, Arizona a few months ago and am racking up the miles now!!

bandito said:
Drove my '67 coupe very seldom in Washington because of the weather (rain). Moved to Surprise, Arizona a few months ago and am racking up the miles now!!

Bandito,

First of all, welcome to the site and enjoy your '67!

Nice choice of year and model vette :D .

Got any more pics?

Pedro

Well not to sound like a fool.But it seams like I never have time to drive mine.

My 62 was completed for carlisle last year and i probably have about 600 miles on it. this summer I was so busy building the 62 I never got to really drive the 66, (I wont even bring up how much we drove our 67 DeVille or the wife's 02 C5)

Now this coming car season I plan on taking the 62 to cruise fest ,And also trying to drive it to every NCRS event to display it in sportsman class.

I have 2 nice gentleman that want me to sell them the 66 because I dont drive it enough. I have a retaliative that also want to buy the 66 because of the same reason. The only reason i don sell it is because I purchased it wright and in today's market I could never afford to replace it.

I am in the north east.about 40 minutes from NYC and we have beautiful days during the winter but the problem is our roads are so salted it ruins a car. The roads are not normally clear until the April showers are done.

The truth be known Id rather build a car them drive it to shows,I have a hard time sitting still in the car or at a show.

In September of this year on a chilly raining day I was pulling into a local wallmart,A middle aged fellow was fighting with a set of wiper blades on his car. A 63 or a 64 I showed him why they wouldn't work and me and him jumped in my truck and picked up a set of refills at an auto parts store.

So I ask him why you have the car out today,He said to-days no different then any other day. he explained recently divorced,recently retired,recently moved into a town house ,and this is his new to him Daley driver. He wife took almost every thing he owned. he has to start over and this is his dailey driver.Once I got his wipers on he was going to get a set of snow tires for the rear. He also asked me to show him how to turn on the defrosters as his windows are getting all fogged up. I have seen this guy probably 3 or 4 times since then so it really seams this is his new driver.

Every body is a little different I suppose.

I have never felt my are garage queens as i let my kids wash or wipe them down.I dont freak if people touch them or get inside them,But i guess if I dont drive them more then what I am ,they really are turning into garage queen

I have a '61, love it. I drive it daily, however I am retired and the long trip are to show and events, about 1- 2 hrs. max. About 2-3,000 mile a year.
I enjoy working tinker with it.

Driving your c1/c2

I have a 61' that's been on the road 3 years this coming May. 25,000 miles so far. I live in Virginia Beach, Va. and drive it EVERY day if it's not raining (not that I care if it gets wet - it just leaks like a seive "just like its supposed to!"). I take it on about two major road trips a year, back to Ky. and Ohio. Took it drag racing last Nov. in Richmond, Va. (13:67 best time with an open rear end-3:55). Putting a 4:11 posi in it tomorrow and am going to the races in the National Corvette Challenge in Aiken, Ga. in two weeks ( for ME, not to beat anyone else). Going to Bowling Green toward the end of May and hope to drag it there. My entire objective with this car was " I'm going to wake up dead some day and won't be able to drive it then". It looks fantastic and has taken a number of trophies in the "shows" and that's great but what is better are the daily comments I get on it. To quote a variation on the song: " I LOVE this car!". Bert Wells.

I put about 1000-1500 miles on my '66 last year. It would be more, but it shared pleasure driving duties with my '71 LT-1 (which I just sold) and my '64 GTO. If it was my only classic, it would have been easily been 3,000.

Rich

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom