Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How much should I ask for my Corvette? Going to sell it locally or ebay.

tntcorvette

See my sig. for the car specs. It has new paint and new tires etc. Motor has under 1K on it.

Im selling the car because I believe the transmission is shot. The car stalls when I put it in gear and i've got the car on jackstands now. When I start the car on jackstands and put it in gear it comes down to ~650 rpms and then comes to ~850 rpm its idle speed but the wheels never stop turning. The car has completely new everything when it comes to brakes so I know it is not the brake system. I've been told by alot of people that the torque converter is not unlocking thus why the wheels wont stop spinning and the stall when put in gear on the ground.

Im looking to get ~$8K for the car in its current state with the current issue.

I lost the title when I moved about a year ago but the state is sending me a duplicate as they cashed my $65 check to cover the duplicate title fee last week so it should be here any day.

After that its for sale. I could part out the car and get more than $8K but I dont want to.

Thanks for the input.

I'm not sure you're gonna get 8 grand for a Vette with a shot transmission. I certainly wouldn't pay that seeing as how an '85 without a transmission problem can be picked up for what you're asking or a little less. You cut your asking price down--say, around $4800 to $6 grand and you might get some takers. You say the engine has less than 1K on it----is it new, rebuilt or a low-mileage trailer queen?
My advice, get the transmission fixed. Put some more mileage on the car and then sell it if you want.

if that is the case i'll take the time and part the car out. I can get more that way then a outright sell.

TNT before condeming the car you should have it diagnosed. The problem you describe is common to GM OD trans especially the FWD cars. The torque converter lockup solenoid in the side of the trans is probably stuck open. Any decent Tranny shop can replace it for around 275 bucks. I did have an 87 Caprice that did the same thing you are describing and thats what it was and I have had a bunch of FWD GM cars that had the same problem. I wouldn't write the car off yet.

:beer

MoeJr said:
TNT before condeming the car you should have it diagnosed. The problem you describe is common to GM OD trans especially the FWD cars. The torque converter lockup solenoid in the side of the trans is probably stuck open. Any decent Tranny shop can replace it for around 275 bucks. I did have an 87 Caprice that did the same thing you are describing and thats what it was and I have had a bunch of FWD GM cars that had the same problem. I wouldn't write the car off yet.

:beer

Thanks for the feedback. I've considered that but I dont want something else to be or go wrong with the transmission then im out $275 plus more repairs.

Break out the wrenches....

'cause there's no way you'll get near 8K for a 1985 with transmission problems. You're likely not to get near that parting it out either. If you have a ton of money wrapped up in the engine, you're likely going to have to take a loss as nobody cares what you did to it, or how much you spent..it's a used engine to them, period. I don't know what kind of shape your interior, etc is in, so it's hard to say what you'll get out of that.

Bottom line... either sell it cheaper and take the hit, or fix it. In any case, heat up the bathwater, 'cause you're taking one (sorry). True market value for "project" Vettes (any sold with major mechanical issues are considered projects) of that year go for between $2500-$4000 tops.

I have never had a customer come back with Trans probs after having been diagnosed with a stuck lockup solenoid.

As cruel as it may sound Advanced is right. You are gonna either have to fix the tranny or take a huge bath on the car to sell it. I am sure the car is great but 8k for an 85 with a possible bad tranny is next to impossible. I can sell you a beautiful 85 that has had everything rebuilt and is done up nice for 7500. Just my .02

:bar

Fix it or at least get an expert opinion.

Seems like a couple hundred isn't all that much after all thats been done...Hard to imagine the parts market for 80s is that strong to warrant wrenching it apart and trying to make the $ there...at the end of the day they are all used parts and most if not all avail new so where's the upside. Sounds like it was a pretty nice ride unless all those goodies were done half-assed...can you duplicate the ride for a few hundred...and didn't it say it had a rebuilt trans...I'd be speaking with the folks that did that work about the problem... Course if you bought it all goodied up then perhaps no one to turn to. Shame to dump it for relatively small change.. Just my $.02.
Papa :w

there was a 1989 vert with a buy it now price of $7K with 144K miles, so i e-mail the seller and ask if he would trade it for my 1986 with 86K miles and hes like yeah i'll give you $4K for yours?? i was expecting to put some cash in but really only $4K?? guess i'll keep my coupe longer!!!

If you do decide the part the car out I see several parts that I would be very interested in taking off your hands. Particularly the Miniram II, the throttle body and the AFR heads (with rockers). I would certainly pay top dollar assuming the parts are all in good working order.

TNT,

I hope you just fix it, drive it and enjoy it. I'm here in Chicago, if you need help, let me know and I'll provide an extra set of hands. Don't know if I can provide much knowledge but I can lift heavy stuff. :L:L:L

But if you do decide to part it out, please let me know as I could come pick things up and save you the shipping hassle.

guys that part out a vette that has not been wrecked just don't get it, what a vette is!

well im going to take the plunge and get the selonoid replaced in the transmission and see what happens.

Im still want to sell the car because nobody in the Chicago area does any kind of dyno tuning with the L98 cars. Only LT1, LS1 & D.F.I. and im not in the mood to drop $1500 for dfi, plus another $600 for a tranny controller, plus another $1K for install and tuning....

Thats $3000 + towards another car. I'll keep everyone updated.

BTW, anyone know how to replace a torque converter lockup selonoid?

tntcorvette said:
BTW, anyone know how to replace a torque converter lockup selonoid?

Let me ask my buddy... If so, we can come over and do some work... you buy the chow and beer.

I don't know if it will work on the Vette or not. But when the torque converter solenoid stuck on my daughter's '88 Pontiac 6000 I just unplugged the wires going to the transmission. It has now run and shifted fine ever since then - the only thing I loose is the lockup on the torque converter - everything else has worked fine in the year and a half since I did it.

Kevin

tntcorvette said:
well im going to take the plunge and get the selonoid replaced in the transmission and see what happens.

Im still want to sell the car because nobody in the Chicago area does any kind of dyno tuning with the L98 cars. Only LT1, LS1 & D.F.I. and im not in the mood to drop $1500 for dfi, plus another $600 for a tranny controller, plus another $1K for install and tuning....

Thats $3000 + towards another car. I'll keep everyone updated.

man you give up way to easy. got a laptop? if so spend 300 bucks and do the data logging yourself then look up www.PCMforLess.com or www.AzzatoChips.com and send them your data logs and your done. you don't need a dyno tune for these cars.

buck up, do your research, and finish the car!

Beat me to it

I'm with ya there, Mad Mic....

74bigblock said:
Let me ask my buddy... If so, we can come over and do some work... you buy the chow and beer.

Thanks for the offer! Please keep me posted.

Karl

Mad-Mic said:
man you give up way to easy. got a laptop? if so spend 300 bucks and do the data logging yourself then look up www.PCMforLess.com or www.AzzatoChips.com and send them your data logs and your done. you don't need a dyno tune for these cars.

buck up, do your research, and finish the car!

nah, not giving up. The car runs fine, except for torque converter problem. It has a fastchip in the car now and runs very strong.

But im in the mood for another car, especially a 6 speed. I have not driven the car in about 8 months. its just sitting on jack stands under the car cover.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom