Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How often do you change your brake fluid

BugMan

Corvette
04 Torch Red Convertible w Black Rag Top & 6 speed
My 2004 C5 convertible was driven out of the showroom in July 2004. Although it only has 12,500 miles it has reached the period by which most mechanics recommend changing the brake fluid since it absorbs water.

I checked my owners manual and did a search here. However I could not find any feedback in either to validate or refute the 2 year periodicity.

So my question is if any of you change your brake fluid every two years or not (regardless of mileage). Thanks.

Yes. 2 years or 30k. All fluids, every vehicle.

LLC5 said:
Yes. 2 years or 30k. All fluids, every vehicle.

LLC5 would you mind expanding on your response? When you say all fluids at 2 years or 30,000 miles do you mean:

-Brake fluid
-Clutch fluid
-Coolant
-Gear lube for the 6 speed manual tranny
-Rear end lube

Coming from other vehicles I can see the brake and clutch fluid since both use a DOT 3 brake fluid which happens to absorb moisture. On the other hand the coolant/tranny/rear end fluids I would have thought 5 years or 60,000 miles.

Again this is my first Vette and I am just plain ignorant on the service intervals. Specially service intervals on a car that does not get a lot of use.

Thanks for your feedback.

Miguel

Yes, all the fluids listed plus power steering fluid. No fluid can be too clean. The longer service intervals are there to help sell cars, not make them last longer. The more expensive the component, the cleaner I want the fluid to be.

Honestly,I never change anything except the air filter and oil changes @ 50-60%. I also sell the cars at about 40,000 miles or four years. If I we're to keep the car it would be a good investment.After having said that we have company vehicles that get only minor care as needed.Many of those have no problems after 200,000miles.

GM's theory is a lot longer than that. It is in your owners manual. The original question was what are we doing.

LLC5 said:
GM's theory is a lot longer than that. It is in your owners manual. The original question was what are we doing.

i know what the original question was and what the owners manual says. my question is why? i.e.: the owners manual states the oil change requirements but when you go to the dealer to have your oil changed they put a sticker on your windshield that says bring the car back in 3 months or 3,000 miles. their "theory" is different for financial reasons only. i.e.: some people take their cars in to have their tires rotated and balanced every 5-6,000 miles even if they are wearing fine and are not out of balance. whats the point? why not wait a few more thousand miles? you can argue the point that you can't do this stuff to often but whats the point? that all i was asking is why are you doing what you doing. sorry that i didn't answer the original question.

Wow.... I've been driving for 40 years, 25K average, that's 1 million miles.

Never changed the brake fluid and never had a problem stopping even with vehicles that went way over 200,000 miles.

So I guess I won't start changing it now.

r2d2nate said:
Wow.... I've been driving for 40 years, 25K average, that's 1 million miles.

Never changed the brake fluid and never had a problem stopping even with vehicles that went way over 200,000 miles.

So I guess I won't start changing it now.
I'm not saying your right ,but I agree.Are the fluids in a Vett so much Inferior to those used in say a Geo ? I think your point has merrit and I love my car.

Hi vette boy

i'm not saying it's right to not change the brake fluid.... it's just what i've done. i should do alot of things to my cars....

the Vette will get added attention though.

Hey ,if your car was born on Jan 2nd or 3rd of 2003 I may have been the one to put the brake fluid in.I only used the special stuff ,good for life ! Enjoy

Power Steering

How do you change the power steering fluid? Do you suction it out and refill??

Change the brake fluid every 30,000 miles? Power steering fluid too? You've got to be pulling my leg!

BugMan said:
My 2004 C5 convertible was driven out of the showroom in July 2004. Although it only has 12,500 miles it has reached the period by which most mechanics recommend changing the brake fluid since it absorbs water.

I checked my owners manual and did a search here. However I could not find any feedback in either to validate or refute the 2 year periodicity.

So my question is if any of you change your brake fluid every two years or not (regardless of mileage). Thanks.

I do not change my brake fluid on vehicles. However when I put on new pads or work on brakes I open the bleeder valve to compress the caliper cylinder and I always do bleed out a bit to check for air in the system. I will usually have to add a little bit back to the system.

I do look at the brake fluid for discoloration fairly regularly. I live in a dry climate, I drive my cars all the time. I peridicaly operate the ABS system to circulate that fluid. I don't race.

outwest said:
Change the brake fluid every 30,000 miles? Power steering fluid too? You've got to be pulling my leg!
I do it yearly

The factory Service Manual offers no guidance on how often to change the fluid. It only tells you how to do it.

Typically, I change or flush the brake system every two years. With cars having ABS/TCS/AH it's important for the lift of the EBCM.

I have the brake fluid changed every 2 years on the 'vett. and about every 4 or 5 years with my other cars. I believe that in a high performance car it is very important to maintain it to a higher degree in case you are pushing the envelope when you are driving it. I only drive my 'vette around 5k a year and it is garaged. I do drive it year round and there is a lot of moisture here in Seattle. I change the other fluids about every 4 years.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom