Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How often do you change your brake fluid

The vette uses DOT 3 type brake fluid. It absorbs moisture, that moisture will cause corrosion in your brake parts. That is why I change the brake fluid in all my cars every two years. I was wondering what you guys did. Thanks.

I use synthetic brake (not to be confused with silicone) fluid in all of my vehicles and still change it every 2 years or so.

I started using the synth on my old Grand Am when it was nearly brand new and swithced my Monte at the same time with about 85k on the clock. I have since changed the fluid twice on the Monte and the synth is far cleaner after 2 years than the conventional ever was.

Hi there!
I want to change the brake fluid too.
Can anybody tell me how much I have to fill in?
What is the fluid capacity of the brake system?
I cannot find any further information. :confused

Thanks in advance!

Greetz from Gemany :w

Markus

Last year on the 99, we replaced the rotors and in the process, replaced all the brake fluid. The car had only 36k miles on it, but I have never seen such nasty fluid. It was :puke

That was when we decided to have every fluid in the car replaced. Like LLC5 said, "No fluid can be too clean". In the future, I think I would probably go with the 2 year rule.

Last year on the 99, we replaced the rotors and in the process, replaced all the brake fluid. The car had only 36k miles on it, but I have never seen such nasty fluid. It was :puke

That was when we decided to have every fluid in the car replaced. Like LLC5 said, "No fluid can be too clean". In the future, I think I would probably go with the 2 year rule.

I had the same experience. I just changed the fluid in my 99 FRC and that has 127k miles on it. It was some seriously foul fluid. For HPDE events the fluid needs to be changed regularly and no longer than 90 days before an event. The fluid change will need to be done again since there was no way to activate the ABS system to flush the ABS control unit, so that unit still had the nasty fluid in it.

I will likely be changing the fluid annually and flushing the lines regularly. The last thing I want to happen is my brakes failing in a high performance environment due to my inability to keep the fluid clean.

Leon

Even before I read this thread I told my wife that the first maintenance action after I find my C5 will be a trip to a local mechanic for a cooling system flush and brake system flush (and an oil/filter change, of course). Although the soon-to-be PO may have maintained it meticulously, I'll be sure it's all fresh.

ZO6 Brakes

Can you replace stock 2004 C5 breaks with 2008 ZO6 breaks if you have the proper big break wheels?

If you decide to change the fluid use the type of driving you do as an interval guide, not a time frame. Brake system is a closed system with no air so there rely is no way moisture can get there (no air space no condensation ). Heat however heat is something that will brake down any fluid and hard stooping generates lots of burning heat inside the calipers. If you track the car change fluid often if not there should not be a need to change it. Often the most neglected fluid in a C5 is the clutch fluid which should be monitored more than brake.

HI there,
I personally believe that we are ALL missing one point here.
Everyones needs differ with how they drive their vehicles, and so then, the maintenance needs change as well.
Lets go through this.

Oil, well, we all know about that.

Differential, all c5 are using synthetics, but the frictional modifier in c5 is a conventional oil that will break down over time, depending on driving style and STRESSES put on the driveline. This being dragstrip or autocross usage. So in this particular area, following your owners manual for this OR when you hear a noise on tight turns in a parking lot is when it would be recommended to change it.

Transmission, depending on driving stresses and the lubricant that is installed, will necessitate when to change it. 88861800 is the latest fluid usage for T56 and Dexron 6 for automatics. They key is NOT that the fluid breaks down, it is the suspension of particles and contamination that need to be REMOVED so that it does NOT create issues with the valve body in an automatic or a syncronizer frictional surface in a manual.

Cooling system, this can be tested using a refractometer and a voltmeter to determine when it should be changes. Just remember, Dexcool states up to 5 years/100,000 miles based on driving conditions and other factors. That does NOT mean you do NOT TEST the coolant.

As for brake/clutch fluid, lets address clutch first. GM recently issued a TSB on clutch fluid, 07.07.31.001 for c6 to note the following.
This bulletin is being issued to provide dealers with additional information on servicing the clutch hydraulic system. Please also advise customers of this new maintenance information.

Some cases have been found where the vehicle's clutch hydraulic system was contaminated with water. Higher than expected levels of water in the clutch fluid greater than 2% may cause the clutch fluid to boil. The presence of water in the fluid lowers the boiling point significantly; when this occurs, the driver may lose customary clutch pedal feel and performance.

To eliminate the opportunity for moisture to enter the clutch hydraulic system:

• The clutch fluid level inspection should be a VISUAL inspection only. Look through the transparent reservoir and observe the fluid level. Avoid removing the cap. DO NOT remove the cap just to top-off clutch fluid. Leave the system closed and sealed. During PDI inspection or routine service, the cap should not be opened for just an inspection.

• Open containers of DOT 4 clutch fluid have a two week shelf life. DO NOT use fluid if the container opening date is unknown or older than two weeks. DO NOT mix or re-use old fluid. Current service information already covers the issue of reuse.

• To provide the best clutch operation, it is recommended that the owner change the clutch fluid every two years. Please flush and replace with P/N 88958860 (P/N 88901244 in Canada) or equivalent DOT 4.

As for the braking system, the fluid is very similar and remember, the more you open the master cylinder, the more moisture you allow in.
There is a simple test strip that can be purchased at any autoparts store to CHECK for moisture contamination. Simply type in "brake fluid test strip" into any search engine and you can find a local distributor of these test strips. There are a few different types.
Personally, I like to change fluid ever 2 years/24000 miles, however that is my personal preference.
Allthebest, c4c5

I'm getting ready to replace/upgrade to Z06 calipers on my 97. Is there any special procedure to get all of the old fluid out of a system that has ABS, or can you do it with two people just like a non-ABS system. Is DOT3 the standard fluid? are Synthetics available? other options pros & cons?

:confused:confused:confused

I'm getting ready to replace/upgrade to Z06 calipers on my 97. Is there any special procedure to get all of the old fluid out of a system that has ABS, or can you do it with two people just like a non-ABS system. Is DOT3 the standard fluid? are Synthetics available? other options pros & cons?

:confused:confused:confused

Has anybody got any suggestions?

Can you replace stock 2004 C5 breaks with 2008 ZO6 breaks if you have the proper big break wheels?

I believe you will need a new caliper bracket as well but otherwise they will swap as long as you use C6 wheels.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom