Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How smooth is smooth

cash's90

Corvette
1990 Charcoal Metallic Coupe
Still getting used to my '90.
How smooth is the feel of the idle, typically, in these cars.
Smooth in a Lexus is no indication of a running engine.
Smooth in my '97 Suburban (w/454 & owned since new) lets you know the engine is turning over by slight irregular vibration.
My '90 has a similar but more pronounced irregular vibration at idle. No sign of a miss and actually smoother with A/C running. It feels like the engine is bolted directly to the frame with no dampening.
It's not bothersome but is it normal?
:duh

My 95 is smooth as glass, but my 90, since gone, was a little bouncy, but ran like a top. Might be time for a tune up.

:w

Mine idles with just alittle "lumpy" feel, which I like. It's letting me know that I'm not driving my old Buick Riviera anymore!!!!!:beer :beer :L

Yes, if you want "smooth" you're driving the wrong car. To begin with the basic engine design is now over 45 years old, no computer aided design, no balance shafts and with a Vette "smooth" was not at the top of the design goal list.

My $0.02,

smooth idle

I've only had my 90 for a month now. Did complete tuneup, cap, rotor, wires (fun job), plugs. It runs very nice but not a real smooth idle. True that it wasn't designed with smooth as a priority but it has a very mild cam etc. so I'm also surprised. Some wierd noises also. Some is clutch noise, (push in and viola...it goes away), but not the quiet engine rumbly exhaust I expected. the tuneup really made a difference in smoothness and power driving. Anyone have suggestions for an aftermarket cat back that won't drive you out of the car with resonance at 1800 - 2200 RPM?
It's a great car, good brakes, great handling (FX3). I think I'll have fun improving it and it is a blast to drive.
:beer

90coupe,
I did the same thing to mine shortly after purchase i.e., new ignition parts, to fix a persistent miss at idle and under acceleration. The plug wires were the problem.
I asked the question to try to establish a baseline as my other toys are MGs. My 6 cylinder 1968 "C" is very smooth while my 4 cylinder 1974 "B" is, well, a 4 cylinder.
Your answer, and the and the responses that proceeded yours, convince me that my '90 is perfectly normal.
Cheers
:beer

My 88 idle

Is slightly lumpy...... just a gentile shake.. and it hunts between 550 & 600 rpm....

Vig!

My '95 is very smooth too! Very very slight vibes at idle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom