Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How soon to apply wax

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
Hey anyone know of any reason to not wax the 08 right away? I remember back in the old days everyone said to wait a month or more to wax a new car but that can't be right any more, is it?

You can apply wax right away.

It is a hobby of mine trying different waxes and sealants and I have tried just about every one out there and found that Zaino is one of the best IMHO. Give it a try. :thumb

Thanks will do it this weekend.

With new cars, there does not appear to be any required waiting time before waxing.

I am currently using C-Magic on all my cars and I'm very happy with it. It's available at the NCM store.

anyone used RejeX - have heard it is supposed to be great product to use instead of wax

anyone used RejeX - have heard it is supposed to be great product to use instead of wax
tried rejex this summer. Really easy to use. not difficult to rub out. Quality of shine? I couldn't tell the difference between this and any other I have used

I have been fighting it for 6 years but I finally bought in to the Zaino hype and I purchased the All In One product and the Z6. Since I got my '08 JSB in July I have had 3M Clearbra added as well as the Pipedreams splash guards. I decide since I have a new car and I have the opportunity to keep the paint close to perfect that I would go all out.

I have not had the chance to try try Zaino yet but I will soon. Since my car was built on May 29th I assume that applying Zaino is ok since the car is actually over three months old.:thumb

no matter what wax you use the first thing i always do is use a good harsh soap like original dawn dish soap to strip off the minimum wage car detailers use at the dealer the day you pick your car up..... then apply a good coat of wax... i tried zaino myself this year and i gotta admit it the stuff works awesome....:thumb

I went to a auto detailer seminar last Saturday. Learned that there is no such thing as subsequent coats of wax as the following coat of wax will strip off the previous coat of wax. Polishes and clear coat protectants are not included in the "multiple coat" farce.

Another thing~ Waxes only last from 3 to 6 months max.

To the OP~ you can wax your car when you take delivery as it was painted 15-20 days before.
GM uses a "high heat" curing process that is not as good as letting it cure naturally, but they don't have the time to wait for it to cure so the high heat (speedy) cure is what we get.

I use REJEX polymer, BTW.

what are your impresssions of RejeX? you are the only one who responded that you used it - have heard use this and no need to wax

what are your impresssions of RejeX? you are the only one who responded that you used it - have heard use this and no need to wax
I've used REJEX on my car since 2006. I have applied it twice since the car was new. REJEX seems to last about a year or so. (It's do again now.) 1 bottle lasts 8 cars. It is a polmer and not a carnauba wax product. I think this is why it lasts so long. I drive my car almost everyday. I still looks decent, but it is due for a coat of Rejex again. My car color is "Sunset Orange." I do not use a "car wash" as the workers there don't care/know about damaging painted surfaces. I use BMW's (Auto Shampoo") and it works very well. We have extremely hard water in SoCal, so deposits are brutal on finishes. I use Rejex in place of wax. It goes on like wax and removes like wax. You CAN do subsequent coats of Rejex but you must wait 24 hours between coats for the polymers to "set." Hope this helps. Here's a pic of a filthy car!~
08AUG2008PALOMAR008.jpg

thanks - kind of input I was looking for - need to order some RejeX

thanks - kind of input I was looking for - need to order some RejeX

I've used Rejex on my C5 and continued to use it on my C6. It's a great product.

However, I recently switched to 5 Star Shine ( www.5starshine.com )simply because Rejex does not have any uv protection. And, since all my vettes have been daily drivers they sit in the sun all day when I'm at work.

You won't be disappointed with either one you choose.

I did mine yesterday and used Maguire's carnauba wax it looks great and that product is very easy to install.
Bonnell I would love to see some close up pics of your clear plastic protection and also your splash guards.
I put on the GM Z06 type splash guards on and they look great blend right in with the existing trim and very easy to install, did require 4 holes on each side in the read and removing the rear tires for access but it only took a hour to get all four installed.
Thanks

thanks for the info on 5-star;

Bonnell - question on the mud flaps - are they contoured to the body, like the new ones GM and others have come out with> or, or they just the flat style mud flaps? like the contoured ones, but don't want to be drilling holes, etc. which all seem to require - can't someone produce something that uses current mounting screws, bolts, etc.

C5 the front on the GM ones do use the existing mount holes its just rear that require drilling holes (4 per side). I was not to excited about drilling holes in my 5 day old car but the holes just go into the inter fender well and not into the actual body panel so that made it a little easier to stomach. They went on easy and look great.

You can apply wax right away.

It is a hobby of mine trying different waxes and sealants and I have tried just about every one out there and found that Zaino is one of the best IMHO. Give it a try. :thumb

I agree. I recently did the full Zaino program: wash with Dawn, Zaino AIO for a base, 2 coats of Z-5 Pro with ZFX, 1 coat of Z-2 Pro with ZFX, Z-6 detail in between, and a final spray with Z-8 Grand Finale Spray. I will do 3 or 4 more coats of Z-2 Pro over the next few weeks, then ZCS Clear Seal, and finish with Z-8 Grand Finale. See what you think below.

Rick
:w Always Wave!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:upthumbs

I waxed my new 08 the day after I bought it. I told the dealer when I bought it that they didn't have to detail it for me, I would do it myself. I'm never quite happy with the way other people wax my car, they usually get wax on the exterior plastic parts such as the a pillar or underside of the rear bumper, and you can never get wax off those parts.

I have heard a lot about Zaino and it was recommended to me that before I apply this I should clay bar the entire car even though its only a month old, comments?
Also if Zaino is such a good product why does it take so many coats, everyone that talks about it says "I have 3, 4 even 5 coats" on the car, how many does it take?

I have heard a lot about Zaino and it was recommended to me that before I apply this I should clay bar the entire car even though its only a month old, comments?
Also if Zaino is such a good product why does it take so many coats, everyone that talks about it says "I have 3, 4 even 5 coats" on the car, how many does it take?

76Okie,
There's a useful thread on using clay bar in our Care & Detailing Forum. Click HERE. Clay bar treatments are good things to do once, perhaps twice a year, as it removed impurities on the surface. Many folks are astonished at the difference before and after a clay bar treatment.

As for the various Zaino polishes, you really only need to do one. But there's a logic that says if one coat of the various polishes is good, multiple coats are even better. It comes down to how much "zen time" you want to spend with your Corvette.

:w
-Patrick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom