Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to add manual trans oil?

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
Hello All,

What's the best way to add oil to a Muncie transmission while it's still on the car? Of course, there is limited space while on jack stands, the oil is thick as honey and it does not flow very easily.

Thanks.

Thanks.

I've used a couple of methods, both of which take time and are somewhat cumbersome. I'm sure there's a better way.

1. I have a pump (like a liquid soap pump from the bathroom) that fits on the gear lube bottles, and a clear tube that I feed from the pump into the tranny. It takes more pumps on that crazy thing to fill a tranny than it takes licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop. I think I got the pump in the outboard motor section of wal-mart - it's made for putting oil into outboards.

2. I have also used one of those huge syringes (again with a piece of clear tubing on the end) that are used to measure 2 cycle engine oil. And again, it takes a while.

As I was typing this, I remembered a little mechanical hand pump that I have packed away in the basement somewhere from my high school radio controlled airplane days. It was made for gasoline/alcohol fuel so I don't know how it would handle thicker oils. It is very precise and clean and could be used without hardly spilling a drop.

I also have a pump that fits on an electric hand drill, but the input and output are threaded for garden hoses. I suppose I could sacrifice a hose to cut the lengths I would need and give that a shot. It is much less precise that the mechanical hand pump I mentioned above. It would probably slosh and you would have much less control when you get close to full and would probably end up wearing a pint of oil.

Does anyone else have any bright ideas?

PS - I also work under the car on jackstands without much room.

In the past, we took out the shifter from inside the car and poured it into the top with the drain plug removed.....as soon as it started to flow out the hole , the plug was installed and shifter replaced.
I have no idea if this will work for your tranny, but sometimes a few ideas can lead to an easy solution....And warming the oil helps thin it out too

Chas:_rock

You can get a suction gun at an auto parts store and a 12" piece of clear plastic tubing for filling it - also works to suck out the old lube if you don't have a drain plug. :)

I bought one from AutoZone like John describes and it worked perfectly. Took several fills of the syringe to fill the transmission but no big deal.

It has plenty of suction and will draw the oil out of the bottle.

Thanks Guys,

I found a suction gun at Advance Auto parts. It has a 1 pint capacity and comes with a 12" clear hose that JohnZ described.

I'll give it a try this weekend.

If I can't get the transmission plug unscrewed, is it okay to add the oil via the hole that holds the speedometer cable gear?

Thanks again.

Ralph

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom