Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How To: C4 ZF6 Shift Knob Removal

OldCorvetteFan

Corvette
Black 95 6 spd Coupe (Sold); 2011 GS
The rubber coating on my '95's console is showing significant wear, and I also have a new leather boot, knob, and insert.

I've been reading tales of the difficulty of removing the lockpin, and I'd been putting off this project for some time. Well, I had some time this afternoon, and thought I'd at least see if I could get the knob off.

Here's the current shifter knob ...

Step_00.jpg

Step One is to remove the shift pattern insert, which I did by first putting a small flat blade between the top of the insert and the knob.

Step_01.jpg

After loosening it a bit, I then moved the blade to the bottom, and it easily popped out.

Step_02.jpg

Step Two is the removal of the pin that locks the shift knob on the threaded end of the shifter shaft. I had read a variety of ways to remove this, ranging from "I used a set of needle nose, and it came right out" to "I took out the top, locked vise grips on it, and pulled until the pin came out and I hit myself in the testicles with it". I tried the vise grips first, and got nowhere. I'd read where someone recommended a drum brake adjuster tool, and then it occurred to me that I could probably use a mini-pry bar.

Here is the pin after the insert is removed ...

Step_03.jpg

I tried the pry bar on three sides - the first was the top, and I discovered that there wasn't anything to hold. I then tried the pasenger side, and thought I felt the pin move up a bit.

Step_04.jpg

I then put the pry bar on the left side, and the pin slid right out. This pictures also shows how much my leather boot has deteriorated - see the holes? I get a good bit of heat through that as well.

Step_05.jpg

Here are the old knob, insert, and pin on the bench.

Step_06.jpg

This picture shows the detail of how the mini-pry bar and the pin interact with each other.

Step_07.jpg

And this shows how the pin orients in the knob.

Step_08.jpg

All in all, it was pretty straightforward, and went a lot easier than I'd expected - especially after I'd tried it with the vise grips, and wasn't getting anywhere!

Steven

Thanks, guys! I'd been looking up how to do this, and it just seemed to need pictures to truly illustrate what needs to happen to remove the pin.

I was kind of stunned after reading some threads about owners taking out their tops, straddling the frame rails, and then nearly castrating themselves when that stubborn pin finally let go! :)

Steven

I use two prybars, one on either side of the pin. It comes out much faster and more smoothly and is less likely to damage the pin or the shifter. Also, put a cloth between the bars and the leather to keep it from being damaged.

C5 shift knobs work on the C4 shifter and feel and look much, much nicer. I had one laying around after my C6 upgrade on my C5. I'll attach a pic later.

I use two prybars, one on either side of the pin. It comes out much faster and more smoothly and is less likely to damage the pin or the shifter. Also, put a cloth between the bars and the leather to keep it from being damaged.

C5 shift knobs work on the C4 shifter and feel and look much, much nicer. I had one laying around after my C6 upgrade on my C5. I'll attach a pic later.

I have two pry bars, but they're formed in a way that I couldn't use them both.

Compared to how much time I'd have spent trying to use the "remove the top and stand on the frame rail" method, I think using one or two pry bars the clear choice in quick pin removal.

Steven

Thanks! I wish I'd seen this when I took mine apart the first time. I do have a question though...

I recently replaced my shift boot, along with the plastic console piece that surrounds the shifter. How is the shift boot supposed to connect to the plastic console? When I bought my 92, someone had put screws through the top of the console into the 4 holes on the boot (which of course cracked, and looked terrible), so I've never seen the "factory" set-up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom