Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to change shifter boot?????????

nelson84

Corvette
84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black
I have an 85 vette auto, that needs the shifter boot replaced. How do you get the shifter knob off? Do you take the button off somehow and then unscrew the knob?:confused

The center plastic cap comes off by gently prying with a tiny screwdriver. Once thats off you will see a "c" springlock washer. Carefully take that out and you are in business.

The center plastic cap comes off by gently prying with a tiny screwdriver. Once thats off you will see a "c" springlock washer. Carefully take that out and you are in business.
That 'C' washer is easy to lose and tuff to get back on.
Don't ask me how I know. :D

I have an 85 vette auto, that needs the shifter boot replaced. How do you get the shifter knob off? Do you take the button off somehow and then unscrew the knob?:confused
The push button will just come off if you pry it up with your fingers when you are in neutral. You may also try to gently pry it up with a small screwdriver but be careful not to scratch the push button. Once you do, you will see a small C clip that holds the shifter knob on to the shift lever. There is a small tool designed just for removing C clips so I suggest you buy one. It is not expensive and it will save you a lot of aggravation. Otherwise you will have to try to spread the C clip apart with a screwdriver. It can be done but it is MUCH easier to do if you have the proper tool. It will be just as hard to put the C clip back on after you are finished replacing the knob, which s another reason to use the proper tools. Assuming you get the C clip off, the shifter knob will just pull off. You might have to give it a little twist to break it loose.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom