Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"How To" Clear Bra Installation (detailed pics)

EHS

Corvette
'00 Triple Black Convertible
History of the Steinschlagschutzhuelle

A little bit of background first. Supposedly, Porsche invented the bra in the late sixties, when the factory still road tested every 911 before it was sent on it's way. Because they used the local roads around the factory, a temporary (back then fabric) bra was put on the car, before the test driver headed out, to protect the brand new paint job.

Notice the "temporary" part. The Porsche factory kept theirs on the cars for about half an hour. Ja?

The bra (the German word is "Steinschlagschutzhuelle" -- stone chip protection covering -- don't you love it) was never intended to be permanent. Why? Because no matter how careful you are, no matter how clean you keep your car, the fabric bra will eventually damage your finish, if you keep it on long enough. Gritty, dirt, sand, and grime will work their way under the covering, and then you have a full time sander on your hood. The wind adds just the right amount of pressure and a wonderful rythmic action to the cover, moving things around no matter how tight you fit.

Enter the "clear bra."

Concept

The clear bra is a plastic film, very thick and virtually indestructible, that is adhered to the car. Custom, laser cut templates are available for virtually all car models, and many parts of the car:

Armorglove_C5.jpg

A number of manufacturers make them. Three that come to mind are:

www.cleartastic.com
www.xpel.com
www.armorglove.com

When considering which to purchase, be sure to ask who makes the film (3M or DuPont), and -- this is important -- whether it will yellow over time. I've been through two bras now in four years (the first had to come off for a repaint recently – a construction truck decided to dump a load of sand and gravel my way in rush hour traffic at 65 mph -- the bra portion was just fine – it was the hood, fenders, and windshield that weren’t so good).

From the research I've done, the 3M film tends to yellow, fade, and cloud more than the DuPont variety, so if you buy one, make sure you ask which brand you are getting.

The advantages of the clear bra are obvious. The bra stays in place, you can cover other delicate sections of the car, like fender wells, and it is virtually invisible. How much you wrap is up to you.

My most recent experience has been with Armorglove of Greenwich, CT. I have absolutely no affiliation with them, the insurance covered the installation (remember the truck), therefore no money changed hands, so other than the fact they let me photograph the installation, there is zero connection. They do protect virtually all of the 24 hour endurance race cars, including Saleen, Ferrari, and Porsche. If you've ever seen those cars race, you know they take a huge amount of abuse from the track, and always manage to look like new the next weekend and the next race. Here are a couple of their customers:

news_2_3.jpg

news_5_1.jpg

You can buy the material from any of the vendors listed above on line, they all have distributors, you can then have regional shops install the stuff, or you can do it yourself. That's where this post come in:

Installation

Prep is important. The surface needs to be absolutely clean and wax free. Not a big deal, just clean it and strip it.

1. The plastic material comes backed on paper and rolled. This is the hood piece:

ArmorGlove_3.jpg

2. First step is to peel it off the backing paper and wet the material profusely (four hands and a six pack help for the larger pieces). Do not apply the beer to the material, if possible:

ArmorGlove_1.jpg

3. Next, place the piece in position -- the wetter the better -- you will have some time to move it around. No different than applying a decal to your model airplane or car, for those old enough to remember when kids did that:

ArmorGlove_4.jpg

4. You will have time to adjust things -- it's very pliable. This is the side "wing" going on:

ArmorGlove_2.jpg

5. When you are happy with the location, start working the material, rubbing and drying, getting any bubbles out. You still have time to lift and fuss with it. Notice one side of the hood is being dried and "in place," the other can still be lifted. A squeegee works well:

ArmorGlove_5.jpg

(continued......)

(continued)……

6. When everything is set, deal with the edges (like here on the hood), and use a blow dryer as necessary (easy on the heat), to help the plastic conform to the curved areas. As you can see, it can be wrapped fairly tightly, like on the hood ends:

ArmorGlove_6.jpg

7. Almost done. When it's completely dry, apply a coat of wax. I took this photograph to intentionally show the line on the hood -- the side "wing" pieces are also on -- as are the headlight covers and front bumper. Look closely:

ArmorGlove_7.jpg

8. Here's the completed job. Armorglove is on the front bumper, front third of the hood, the headlights, the side sections, and the mirrors. Trust me, speaking from experience, those are the areas that get the most hits:

ArmorGlove_8.jpg

Well, hope this helps. If you are considering protection for your car, clear is the way to go.

Hope this helps.
Cheers! :beer

How do you deal with the emblem on the front bumper?
:confused

Vettehead said:
How do you deal with the emblem on the front bumper?
:confused
This is the cool part.

The film is actually die cut in the shape of the emblem and fits around it.

Doesn't get any better than that.

Update on Film Yellowing

Some people asked about yellowing and the different films that are available, so here are some comparison shots.

Other than reducing the photos in size for the forum, they have not been adjusted in any way –– the difference in color is actually much more noticeable in person:

1. This is a test panel with a section of two films. One section has more yellowing, which is even more visible in person than in this somewhat high contrast picture:

ArmorGlove_9.jpg

2. Here is a close-up of the two panel section. Pick the side that has more yellowing:

ArmorGlove_10.jpg

3. The result (and concern) is what exposure to sunlight (UV) and the elements will do to the “clear” bra after a while. Here’s a white Ford van that has had a piece of the 3M film on the front hood for about three years. See if you can spot the piece of film (hint: it’s a long rectangle) –– this was what clinched the deal for me to switch to ArmorGlove:

ArmorGlove_12.jpg

Here’s the back of the test panel. Like in all the photos above, 3M is on the left, ArmorGlove on the right. I understand that ArmorGlove film is patented, made under license by DuPont.

ArmorGlove_11.jpg

Hope you found this update useful.

Cheers! :beer

Thanks for an informative post. With your experience on this product do you have any thoughts on washing and cleaning this covering. I too have a 3M covering, (new) and am reluctant to scrub hard to get bugs, etc off, as I think it might be easily damaged and since it is plastic , worried about some of the cleaner products effects on it. Any thoughts? thanks

You can treat the clear cover like the rest of the car -- wax it and clean it like normal.

I've washed as hard as necessary to get the road grime and dirt off -- if it won't harm the clear coat, it won't harm the plastic.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom