Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to do Side Exhaust Correctly

R

RizzoRat

As of right now, im in the process of redoing EVERYTHING with the front suspension, but thats slowly coming to a finish. The next part is moving to the engine. I really want to add side exhaust back on the vette. What is the best way to go? I do want headers, and ive heard things both good and bad about the Hookers, some say they are great, others say the mufflers too quiet. Also heard about the place Spiral Turbo Specialties. So i want to hear everything , and hopefully i can make a good choice from all the info thank, Joe R.

Joe,

Welcome to CAC.

There are several members here with side exhaust. I prefer the HOOKER version as it looks so aggressive the way it twists out behind the tire. You have a variety of choices on the actual muffler from mild to wild.

You can search the threads here and you will see this topic has come up before. Tom Conners just put some on his 69 convertible.

Sidepipe to OZ

Would anyone have an idea as to the best place for me to buy a set of side pipes or even just the headers and have them shipped over here?
It may turn out to be the easiest and cheapest option than having them made up here. I could only use the LH side headers as is, but the RH pipes would have to be modified to clear the steering box.

Ta

Thanks Ken. I'll do that.
Just called Australian Customs and found out a sneaky way to avoid duty. If I can get parts sent over and have them marked for marine use only the the customs duty is negated.
Now to find a supplier who's willing to play ball.

What? Australia ain't got boats? :L

I'll look around for ya Bob. ;)

_ken :w

Brutus,

Contact TZracer here on the forum. He can get you any part you want. He may very well be able to do what you need.

Ken...there's no place here that has anything I want or need for the Vette regarding headers or side pipes that is "off the shelf".
Because of the RHD conversion everything virtually has to be custom made and as I've discivered, it ani't bloody cheap! :eek As it is even if I buy some headers from the US, I'm still gonna have to get one side of them altered to fit. Life wasn't meant to be easy. :cry

Chris...Thanks for the tip...I'll try to raise him. Sounds hopeful.

Brutus said:
Ken...there's no place here that has anything I want or need for the Vette...

That's what I meant - find somebody there with a marine supply house and have them import the set of headers, or the header kit, as a "marine" application, although both you and he would know that they would be for a car. You'd save the duty to which you referred. ;)

_ken :w

Joe,

I have an 81 with the Hooker sidepipes and love them, they are high maintenance items though. Since you have a 73 I think you could go with the factory type or Hookers and still look good, a friend has factory pipes on a small block car and they sound great. Both are around the same cost, $1000+ I currently have mine apart so I can send them out to Jet-Hot for recoating, 3 years of daily driving wasn't kind to them although they held up well. Now if only I could get the mufflers out of the sidepipes :mad I'm going to order a set of the Spiral Baffles this week.

Ken...I see your point but it's more a matter of having them shipped from their origianl point of purchase as marine parts rather than who receives them. If they come into the country labeled as car parts in any way then the game is over.

Do a search on Hookers web site for side pipes. I seem to recall seeing a set of pipes there that looked like the regular Hookers but only one of the pipes was functional. That would let you use stock manifolds or shorty headers.

" Sidepipes........"

Joe. Besides Hookers, there's also Stahl and Headman aftermarket types. Just saw the Headmans this morning on a Vette I was measuring up for sidepipes and baffles. First time I'd seen them. Besides the primarys being a little small, they are very similar to the Stahl's with the collector UNDER the car. They are a very easy hook up for sidepipes and baffles, even under factory style covers. (3.5" pipes and baffles) The one cover though that would be a problem is the 69 style REAL cover. To much BS behind the cover to hold it together. The regular aftermarket one piece fiberglass has alot more room. If you don't want a cover, then a one piece sidepipe ( plain, chrome,or coated) with the Stahls or Headmans is easy. So there are options for you and your 73. JCL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom