Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to find previous owner

rohard

Corvette
2014 Z51 Coupe and 08 Cooksey ZO6
I am trying to find the previous owner (the guy that did the restoration) of a 1965 Nassau Blue 396 Roadster, VIN 194675S122541. I can trace the car back to Florida, in 2003. He says he bought it from an Auction, thinks the seller was in either NC or SC.
Is there a way to access the DMV records, to trace owners on the basis of VIN numbers? I sure would like to know more about the car, particularly the engine, which has the casting numbers ground off, and the pad overstamped with the correct VIN. (Don't worry, the guy I bought it from told me in was not a numbers matching car, but he has no idea what engine is in it.) The engine is correct on the outside, all the way.
Any ideas on how to trace previous owners (I have already emailed every Corvette Club in the Carolina's) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:confused

Yes, you have to inquire per state at the DMV (or equivalent). I traced my 76 I bought in Missouri back to being brought there in 1981 via a sale from Mississippi. Missouri charged $10.50 for the report, but because I am not law enforcement or an investigator, I only got Title numbers, dates, mileage. Mississippi on the other hand was $4.00 per printout and they traced it to the original date of sale right outside of Jackson Mississippi. They would have sent me a copy of the original for the $4.00. I didn't send the money but kind of liked hearing it where Ruby came from. It was sold in jackson only a week after it's build date in St Louis.

In Ohio the BMV has a website and it will show all the title transfers for the VIN since 1993. If the owner was a business it will show the names, otherwise "private individual" is all you get. Maybe those states have a similar website and you can save the wait.

I can also fill out paper forms and get more information - as long as I sign that I am not going to use the information for commercial purposes.

Good thought. I will go "google" for the sites in each state. It is a wonder there is not a main site. I am pretty sure the car came from NC.

The Ohio BMV report came back in the mail today. Sadly it contained little more than the info they carry online, though it did show the state of the prior title. As fate would have it, my 75 was titled in North Carolina before Ohio.

What is becoming clear is that a federal law was put into effect in 1994 that protects privacy of drivers, meaning you can't just get the names and addresses. Both Ohio and North Carolina forms indicate this. The good news is that there are exceptions where the info will be provided. My favorites are "for use in matters of motor vehicle or driver safety and theft" and "for use by private investigators or licensed security service".

I think my car was wrecked in the front so I might be able to convince them it is a matter of safety to contact prior owners, or maybe I can find a private investigator to check it out for me.

BTW the North Carolina DMV website is www.ncdot.org

Well, I emailed the NC DOT tonight, we will see what they say. If they confirm the car was ever registered in NC, then I will go the Private Eye route. Good advice, thanks.

Update: I sent in my forms and today the NC DMV called me because I did not fill out the form correctly. I told them I did not think I qualified for any of the exemptions, but the lady on the phone said my situation qualified for exemption #2. I am expecting the info back in a few days.

Let me know what you find out. I bought mine from Northwest Corvette in Canton. They would not give me any info on the previous owner. Ohio BMV shows title transfer twice in the last 11 years and what the mileage was at the time but no name.

Joe

North Carolina DMV

Was most helpful. They even looked in their Microfilm records for me. Unfortunatley, my car has never been registered in NC. The guy (2 owners ago) told me it had a NC tag when he bought it, but apparently there is some mistake. I have written every Corvette Club in NC and SC trying to find out. Not sure what to do now?

Don't overlook some of the tips available in the Owners Research Center right here on the CAC. There may be something usefull to you there.

Well well! Today I got a certified copy of my Vette's title history from N. Carolina DMV. It was first titled in Charlotte on 2/12/75 - female owner. It went through several owners, moved from Charlotte to Lexington. the last time it was titled in N. Carolina was 1988. At that time it had 94,000 miles. Today it has 99,000.

rohard - I would try the DMV of some of the nearby states. I would certainly check Florida since you know it was there once. There are only 50 and it had to be titled somewhere!

I do not know how much work you have done to the car - is there any evidence where it might have lived? On mine I found mud wasp nests on it and sandy dirt in the frame. Also the entire exhaust sytem was welded. Some states require this and I could have used that to narrow the search if needed.

Maybe under the seats or stuck in the console is an old registration or a business card from a prior owner that might give you a clue. Or if the car ever had any junkyard parts maybe a tag on them or junkyard paint (the radio, side window glass (on the part you cannot see inside the door), transmission, who knows?)

In mine I found a quarter with red overspray on it - the same color as the car. The quarter was dated 1997, so it is likely that it was painted once since then.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom