Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to keep your car safe?

bbp

My 66 is about done. I'm a bit worried about it being stolen. I plan on driving it on some trips. I'm afraid some night at a motel it will be gone. Lets face it, thay would be easy to steal. Any thing every one is using to keep them safe? There must be some devices out there to help. Thanks Brent :) :)

I would suggest a simple hidden toggle switch that shuts off the fuel delevery.

The usual ways, I guess... burglar alarm, motion detectors, the Club, fuel or ignition cutoffs.

But they won't deter the determined professional. I watched a program on repossessing autos a few months back... the guy had a specially-rigged truck that he simply backed up to a car in the driveway and a mechanism gripped the tires and lifted and off he went, took perhaps 5 seconds.

Some Corvette thieves even use a battery-powered drill to penetrate the battery through the fender panel from the outside to cause the acid to drain out so the alarm won't sound off when they return to haul it away.

Chain it to a tree? Get a Pit Bull and teach it to bark loud and sleep in the car?

Scary, ain't it? Make sure your insurance is up to date.

My car has an alarm to make noise, an ignition cut out to deter school children, a fuel cut off to surprise hot wire artists and a polished stainless battery shield to keep the drills out of my battery.

Someone who really wants your car will use a flatbed truck. It's the chance you take with any car.

I had a paging alarm on mine for a while. Lojack is good if you live in or visit big cities.

I use a very simple routine. I usually pull the coil wire and take it with me when I put the car away. So unless they're going to tow it, they better have a spare coil wire with them.

Martin

How about Onstar? Can't they find stolen cars? And who would think to look for it in a classic car? If they would let you subscribe.

depend on what your car is.If its going to be a NCRS show car there is just no way to install it and keep it hidden

There are alot of great alarm systems out there now.I just had an auto start sytem installed in my truck that has GPS tracking capeabilities via a web site.It also has a clicker thats called a transponder that actually vibrates and shows you on a display why the alarm went off.

If your not into the NCRS route.I would think the best thing is a hydrylic brake lock and a ignition shut off

Well lit parking space, nose first, wheels cocked w/parking brake, Police Athletic League t-shirt & Glock holster laying in pass. seat, NRA window sticker, fuel and ignition cutoffs, Alarm siren w/ batt backup buried out of reach. Bare minimum of blinking red light on/near dash/console (cell phone charger with a tissue over it). FCC regulated 3 watt max Paging alarms tout up to 1 mile range on a totally flat and unobstructed surface but rarely penetrate malls/parking ramps. Cell alarms (calls your cell phone) offer excellent range and penetration but are relatively unheard of yet on this side of the Atlantic save one crude newcomer; www.bustthem.com. GPS anything is only as good as its obvious antenna...first thing a thief pulls off.

Yea, just over 200$ for this Cell system.
Give it a little more time. Others will come out with better systems.

For now, Get good insurance!

Viking427 said:
Well lit parking space, nose first, wheels cocked w/parking brake, Police Athletic League t-shirt & Glock holster laying in pass. seat, NRA window sticker, fuel and ignition cutoffs, Alarm siren w/ batt backup buried out of reach. Bare minimum of blinking red light on/near dash/console (cell phone charger with a tissue over it). FCC regulated 3 watt max Paging alarms tout up to 1 mile range on a totally flat and unobstructed surface but rarely penetrate malls/parking ramps. Cell alarms (calls your cell phone) offer excellent range and penetration but are relatively unheard of yet on this side of the Atlantic save one crude newcomer; www.bustthem.com. GPS anything is only as good as its obvious antenna...first thing a thief pulls off.

agree about the "any fool with a tow truck can get your car" thing.

as for slowing the usual non-tow-truck driving thieves down, I put the little green knob in my pocket (from my battery cut-off switch) - most small time car thieves won't have the time to figure out whay there ain't no juice, battery otherwise appears to be connected, etc. nor will they be equipped to jumper around it. Plus, it ensures my battery is freshy-fresh in the morning, but the clock is always wrong . . . .

Viking427 - thanks - I like the cellalarm. I told my wife that I want one for my birthday next month. The batteries on the paging alarm didn't last long enough to make it through two week road trips. I always end up shopping for batteries instead of enjoying the scenery.

What new gadget has been added for deterrent. Thread is old, old.
I believe the stolen list is a million a year. :bash
I'm glad you resurrected this, because this is one of my biggest concerns about driving mine. I also want to take it on some over-night travel, but have been hesitant to do so.

I'm still driving my 66 everywhere. If it disappears from a parking lot some night, I will
accept that - knowing I've had 21 years of fantastic fun in it.

The bustthem.com guys quit modifying cell phones years ago, and I see that the link
posted above is being hijacked by a group of lawyers;LOL

PS: I still use the modified cellalarm from bustthem, and of all the stuff on the car to
prevent theft, it's the one that makes me the most comfortable when I'm on the road.
Too bad none of the European or Australian manufacturers of similar cell phone
equipment want to dabble in the USA market.

There is really no sure-fire way to keep your cars safe. If someone wants it badly enough they'll take it. I do have alarms on both of my Corvette's and up-to-date insurance. I also carry a Glock.

a mercury switch tied into a pendelum makes for an interesting switch for what ever you might want to do should the car be jostled or put on an incline onto a flat bed.....hmmm...what would be good to tie to a mercury switch?

One of our well known solid axle gurus, since departed, had a couple hundred thousand miles on his '62 fuelie over the years. He was also well known for the large hardened log chain that he carried in the trunk. His car was always parked next to and chained to a pole, tree ect.

As was said above, the flatbedders can steal anything if it isn't chained down even if they have to hook it and drag it up on the bed. It only take a minute or less. The harder you make it to steal the more likely they will move on to another victim. Time is a car thief's worst enemy.

Tom

My last Corvette - the 67 Elkhart Blue coupe, had power windows and door locks. Don't have them on the 1954 Corvette. But either way a criminal could get either car running in a matter of seconds.

I can't imagine parking either Corvette overnight in a hotel parking lot.
A well alarmed enclosed car hauler may be the best answer to at least slow the theif down. Park the trailer so the rear ramp is up against a wall and have the truck secured to the trailer and all the security you can think of on the truck. And then - good luck.

Alarms

I have a Viper GPS alarm in my NSX. The alarm has a battery backup good for days. The car calls up to 4 devices. Mine calls my cell phone, home phone, pager and email. I can track the car with a laptop computer in realtime. If the car is moved and the alarm is not tripped, the car calls to tell me it is out of its parked zone. I can kill the ignition, remotely, open the trunk, doors or test the alarm through my cell phone. If my main battery is low, I get a call. I can even put a speed warning notification on the car. The unit costs about $8 per month. My wife loves it when my car calls my phone to check in. Got to love technology. Jerry

Reads pretty well..... Cheaper than Rotweiller food.

I can't use my garage since and during my vehicle confiscation. Just discovered Sat that the garage remote that was on the sun visor is gone.
I "try" to remember if I do need to opern the door to turn the electric to the door off. Not sure of the relationship to the stealer, who claims "I didn't steal it", to the one who did as to where all the items that was removed from the car are. May be in a local dumpster, or who knows where or in Pittsburgh. Suks................:bash

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom