Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to make my vette a show car?

Bender, one item many people ask me about are the seat harnesses. i have matching 4-point seat belts,which seem to attract everyones eyes.
also,since the movie The Fast and the Furious interior safety equiptment is all the rage. think; harnesses ,fire extinguisher,safety bars,trick gauges. and ,of course the necessary killer audio/dvd system.
allways ask if the awards are people's choice. if so, look at what other award winning cars have done.
personally, after showing my 73 Harley for several years ,i have learned there are no fair judging. you may spend hours/years getting your vehicle "right",then someone will park next to you with latest cool car,with nothing special on it. and they will be carrying the trophy home.

been there,done that.....

ROBIN

re:

I have been showing the vette now for three years at the only two shows that we have localy. The biggest thing that I have learnt at these shows is that most the time it doesn't matter how nice your car looks, what really matters is knowing a lot of the right people at the show. I have lost every show to either a C5 (which I really don't think has much business being at a car show since they are all over the place) or a car that is in worse condition, but the owner is best friends with all the judges, or has a family member involved in the hosting of the event. This is why I stopped even thinking about if I win or lose, I just go to put a smile on a few young faces by letting them sit in my car, and to look at all of the other cars that show up. If I walk away with a trophy it's just a bonus.

As far as things you can do to give you an edge, be sure to clean the car, and then go over it several times, because you most likley missed something. It also helps if you stay close to your car and talk to those who are admiring it, sometimes just being a nice guy will earn you a few votes at public voted shows.

Hope this helps,

-Chris

fire extinguisher,safety bars,trick gauges. and ,of course the necessary killer audio/dvd system

The harness is the most I would do.. Puting any of that other stuff in there would kill my car. I wont even replace the radio.

Easiest way is buy a show vette cheaper in the long run and you can enjoy your daily driver as you are looking for that special show car

fire extinguishers aren't that bad.

Mine came with one bolted to the bottom of the drivers seat. Its low impact on the looks as it seems to tuck under there.

If you want my advice, just wax the thing. The vette is there for your satisfaction, not theirs.

I wax it the time, whats the best wax you can buy in store, but is not to hard to put on. I bought this "Car show turtle wax" and its hard to put on firberglass for some reason, it goes on easier and comes off easier on my friends GTO.

GREETINGS, i can see Jagg and i have had the same expierences. i went to a show put on by the local Rotary club. only two motorcycles entered. my 73 Harley Electra Glide. and a new Indian Chief(still had the temp tag on it).guess who won?
but the worse one was one guy,known to all the rotarians, came away with 5 trophies for one 53 buick. i felt bad for some of the other truly neat cars. i guess it' IS who you know.
i go to local cruises,and occasional shows, i don't open my hood rather, i enjoy the cars and people,knowing i enjoy what i have.

sorry,but this stirs the memories

ROBIN

I dont even think the judges had a point system, they would just write down the names they liked.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom