Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! How to Release Parking Brake without Linkage?

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
Another genius move of mine! I have the body off the frame, but forgot to release the parking brake.

The brakes are 'loose' enough to roll the chassis, but too tight to rotate the rear wheels by hand when on jack stands. Yes, these needed to be adjusted beforehand - but I never did it.

I rebuilt the rear brakes some 5 years ago with stainless steel, so there's no rust or anything... (I do recall it was a major PIA to do!).

If someone would please let me know how to release the parking brakes manually, I would deeply appreciate it.... now I gotta go back out there and continue with this prep.

Thank you.

Ralph

Remove the rear wheel. There will be two holes through the rotor 'hat' housing the parking brake ass'y. Turn the rotor so that one hole is at BDC then turn the adjuster inside with a flat bladed screw driver. This will allow the shoes to retract.

Get the rear tires off and use a long prybar, locked in two wheel studs to turn the rear rotors such that the adjustment holes line up with the p-brake adjusters, then back off the adjustment.

Thanks

Mike and Hib,

Thank you -- that did the trick!

Ralph

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom