Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to Shut Off Check Gauges Dash Light?

B/STOCK

Corvette
2000 Magnetic Red Vert & 2015 DSOM Coupe Z51-3LT
I am having the C5 Gas gauge problem and this time it's not going away. Techron is not doing the trick this year. Anyone know how to disable the check gauges light on the cluster? Not check engine, check gauges. Drives me crazy especially at night. Reset shuts off the low fuel light on the HUD but not the cluster. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

You're getting the check gauges light because your gas gauge senders are FUBAR and that makes the ECM think you're running out of gas. I don't think you can "reset" the check gauges warning when it's being shown because of low fuel.

If treating the fuel system with Techron did not work, it's time to replace the senders. Which is not a fun job, especially if the car has an automatic trans.

That said, there is a specific way to use Techron or, even better: Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner, in a C5/6/7 which is having tank sender problems. Use one bottle per fill-up three times. Fill-up, add the cleaner, drive 150-200 miles around town or on the highway. Fill-up again. Add another bottle drive another 150-200 miles then do that a third time. Also, you need to do that in a reasonably short amount of time, say...a couple of weeks.

If that doesn't fix the problem replace the appropriate sender or both senders.

I have been trying Techron in the manner you suggested for years but this time no go. Will try the Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner as you suggested. BTW, it's a manual transmission. Wish me the best and thanks.

You're getting the check gauges light because your gas gauge senders are FUBAR and that makes the ECM think you're running out of gas. I don't think you can "reset" the check gauges warning when it's being shown because of low fuel.

If treating the fuel system with Techron did not work, it's time to replace the senders. Which is not a fun job, especially if the car has an automatic trans.

That said, there is a specific way to use Techron or, even better: Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner, in a C5/6/7 which is having tank sender problems. Use one bottle per fill-up three times. Fill-up, add the cleaner, drive 150-200 miles around town or on the highway. Fill-up again. Add another bottle drive another 150-200 miles then do that a third time. Also, you need to do that in a reasonably short amount of time, say...a couple of weeks.

If that doesn't fix the problem replace the appropriate sender or both senders.

I put a bottle of Red Line in right after reading your reply. The car had approximately 3/4 of a tank in it. Ran it for about 50 miles and filled it up with my usual fuel, Shell 93. Next day driving the gauge went up to just below full. That's been the normal reading for a full tank since this problem started almost 20 years ago. Next fill up the gauge went all the way to full and is reacting like when it was new. After over 20 years of watching that gauge I know when it's acting wanky. So far so good. Really hope it keeps operating. I thought it was DOA this year. I guess it got sick of Techron. BTW, It wasn't filling the tank that made any difference. It used to work 15 years ago but not in the last five. I will keep you informed. Thanks a lot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom