Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! How to tell HD cooling or Std.

jwmagnusson

Corvette
1981 Two Tone Coupe
Looking to replace radiator. Looking at direct fit units, copper and brass or Aluminum, but each ask if I have HD cooling. Cannot determine. Any suggestions? Is there a spec code or other indication? Car is stock and prefer to keep it that way, but see major advantages to Aluminium replacement units...but pricey...$495...versus $212 for Copper and Brass OEM.

Ideas? Thanks. John :confused

How do you determine if you have HD cooling??

Not sure if I have heavy duty cooling. Anyone know how to tell? Want to replace radiator and other related items, and all parts ask if I have heavy duty cooling. Cannot tell. Help??

Why are you replacing the radiator?

If the brass/copper radiator was keeping the engine cool, then I'd get the OEM replacement.

If the car was overheating with brass/copper, I'd go aluminum.

Good Luck!!!

HD cooling

Looking to replace radiator. Looking at direct fit units, copper and brass or Aluminum, but each ask if I have HD cooling. Cannot determine. Any suggestions? Is there a spec code or other indication? Car is stock and prefer to keep it that way, but see major advantages to Aluminium replacement units...but pricey...$495...versus $212 for Copper and Brass OEM.

Ideas? Thanks. John :confused

Food for thought. My 81 had standard cooling. The radiator was a three row. I replaced it with a direct fit four row for under $300.00. There was no modifications necessary, dropped right in. Also, I bought a seven blade HD fan and clutch on ebay for 75.00, again no mods necessary. I do not want to mislead you, in my opinion the swap is somewhat of a challenge. The shroud is a booger to get out. Take your time and it will work.
While I was at it, I replaced the water pump with a Stewart high flow, again a direct fit. The car runs cool at all times.
Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom