Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: How to test a switch?

WLS Ruby 93

Corvette
1998 Torch Red Coupe
I have my 98 for 4 years now and from the get go the only thing that does not work are my fog lights. Most annoying.

So far I have ....

1. Check the bulbs they are OK but no current gets to the sockets.
2. Changed the under-hood fuse and relay with new ones.
3. Pulled the nose off and checked the wiring to the fuse box it's OK.

Now I am thinking it's the switch. When I take the switch out there are multiple contacts so how do I determine if the switch is bad?
Which terminals and how to hook them up to a 12v source? A test diagram would help.

Thanks.

Bill :w

Not too sure about your car, but with power disconnected - take a long wire and connect it to the bulb, next take an ohm meter and connect one lead of it to the other end of the wire, the other lead touch it to the wires on the switch to see witch one has continuity.

Once you find the wire then use a volt meter to check the voltages throughout the circuit.

There is also a fuse for the fogs under the passenger side floor in the inside power distribution center,Have you checked it? (#32 Mini 15 amp) :thumb

Double Click the large image,It will open a new window!Then click the magnifying glass in the lower left corner and it will blow the schematic up!:thumb:thumb

Attachments

• C5 Fog Lamp.jpg
    C5 Fog Lamp.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Fog lights

There is also a fuse for the fogs under the passenger side floor in the inside power distribution center,Have you checked it? (#32 Mini 15 amp) :thumb

Double Click the large image,It will open a new window!Then click the magnifying glass in the lower left corner and it will blow the schematic up!:thumb:thumb

GMJunkie,

Last year when I was messing with it for the third time I think I checked that fuse but will do it again.
I just have to wait for a nice day to back out the tractor and other stuff then drop Scarlet down to the floor for a snoop, she's on the rack for winter.

Thanks.

I was going to post, "With a schematic?" :D

Junkman,

If the schematic is different from GMJunkie's please post. I can't have too much information.

Thanks.

No, Jesse posted the exact one you need. Do you know how to read it? Not everyone does so don't feel bad if you don't.

Read

No, Jesse posted the exact one you need. Do you know how to read it? Not everyone does so don't feel bad if you don't.

I'm not too bad figuring out schematics and have two friends that were in the electronics field as backup not to mention my amateur radio club members. A lot of those guys know way more than I do.

My problem is to make the time to check it out.

Thanks J-Man.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom