Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How well is the C-5 bult, is as reliable as....

F

Future vetter

Say a Volvo which is a very relible car and I use that as a bench mark for I have little faith in american cars(Corvette not included)
I have heard alot of great things in the automotive press about the C-5 Corvette. This is important being I ntend to drive the hell out of it. :bu

I think American cars get a bum rap. The C5 is VERY reliable. It is a fast Chevy, but it is still a Chevy with many proven Chevy(GM) parts. GM did not design it to be less reliable than a Chevy Lumina. Have you heards of a rash of reliability problems with other GM products?

The problems you hear about on the Forums are from a small fraction of C5 drivers, the type who might obsess over minor things(myself included). Also, the problems you read about on the Forum are often the type of problems that would not terribly bother a Volvo or Lumina driver.

I have owned Mercedes since the dark days of GM in the late 70s and early 80s. I can say that Mercedes, especially their dealer attitude, is very good, but I can also say that the C5 is every bit as reliable. In fact, the C5 is every bit as tight as the Mercedes.

The C5's only real comings are a few cheap feeling interior pieces, and a pretty junky dealer support network.

Hi Future Vetter-i am one of those drivers that drive their corvette,it doesn't sit in the garage where i can go out and dust it off for the first sunny non-rainy day.Any time the first thing seems suspect i check it out and if further ,and more informative educated, answers are needed i head off to the dealer.i admit i'm picky about my baby and EXPECT it to run and perform as advertised.It usually does.The main thing to think about is what if i have a problem?-you will -everyone does- what am i going to do ?Well the answer is go to a good dealer ,with a good CORVETTE mechanic.First i found a good mechanic,by asking two local corvette clubs,then i bought the car from that dealership where he works.I get treated very well by both they know me on a first name basis and have even called me to make sure everything was done to my satisfaction,not just a card in the mail.I hope this info helps you.If yopu want a nice '99 mines up for grabs.

You know, this touches on a subject that I've discussed with a co-worker just today. I told him that too many people slam American cars in general. People just think that American cars are lower quality than their European and Japanese counterparts because the America cars are cheaper.

I'm tired of people implying that just because Porsche's, Ferrari's and the other European cars cost more than our Corvette and Viper, those Euro cars will just wipe the road with the Vette'/Viper.

The Corvette is as fine as a car you will come across, period. There is just so much pride and tradition that they won't just put any product out there. A cars that has survived 50 years can't be all that bad.

Of course, there will be individual cars that come with problems, but that happens with all makes and models of cars.

Bull, i agree w/ you...

But, the one thing that i've always heard about some of those high dolla Euro cars, is that they're very "tweeky" maybe not so much the newer ones, but some of the older ones need a lot of care, and if you dont maintain them right, then they'll sh*t on you big time...

Also, like anything else, if you treat it right, it'll be reliable...unless you're dealing w/ Ford (just kidding). My chevy truck is a 91 and has almost 105k on it, and has only seen one major engine problem, and that was a leak along one of the heads. And it's nothing special, but on occasion i treat it like a vette lol. Most people who say american cars are unreliable are only buying into someone elses hype about a vehicle usually...they've never really owned one themselves, or they just get a bad one from the factory, so that turns them off forever. But, from what i've experienced w/ my dads 91 L-98, it's damn reliable...only had the alternator and starter go in 11 years, and a speaker went ka-putz too.

Treat it right, and it wont bite you in the ass later. Thats all i'll say

Future vetter:I have heard alot of great things in the automotive press about the C-5 Corvette. This is important being I ntend to drive the hell out of it.

Like the others before me, I feel the American auto maker is taking a bad rap.(Except Ford hehehehe) We have come a long way from what the older members remember so well. My last American sedan was the 99 300M and I've got to tell you it was a great car with never a problem and some giddy-up too. When the lease ran out I would have purchased it if it weren't for my Co. car which wasa perk. I feel the reliability factor and overall quality of all American cars is on equal footing with most imports. The only exceptions being Benz, Ferrari and some custom European makers. Comparing apples to apples there isn't a true sports car out there that can match up to the vette dollar for dollar, mile for mile. As far as dependability, I know first hand that my C4 has been the most dependable car I've ever owned and I've owned each of those imports at one time or another in my life. My advice is to take a look at what's out there. I think you'll find the fit of the C5 is well within spec of these imports. And if you drive the H**L out of it you can bet that import will be on jackstands long before your vette.
Just my .02

Also remember that the number of American cars built far out number the imports. Not many nameplates have been on the market for 50 years,.

I have always wondered why some ass wipe in a Mercedes will think its Ok to wait 2 weeks for a $375 water pump and make fun of the plastic wood in the Chevy that drove him to the shop to pick up his German wunder car 2 weeks later and 500 bucks lighter in the wallet.

And last, the real shame is older imports still break down even when driven slow and carefully ( not that there is any chioce about slow) and its takes a pretty serious beating to break a Corvette.

I feel so good about what I'm hearing. I relize in the past The Corvette was slammed for quality issues but now the Corvette is a force to be reconed with.
I read in Edmunde that American Engineers were turning to forein desings for cost savings, for example ford want's to buld tre ford 500 wich will be a modified Swedish Volvo S80.
I love the fact that the C-5 Corvette is on the same quality level as the Volvo for this is a selling point for the wife who isen't at all interested in cars.
When I have the means I will get a C-5, but for now I'll just hang out here an learn all that I can from you guys.
I like how frendley everyone is even though I don't have my dream car yet, you guys are fun to hang out with and learn from.
I am a dihard Corvett freak so I guess I fit right in.

In all my years of driving, I have never seen a Corvette, Viper, or any of the F-bodies broken down on the side of the road. That might not say much, but I have seen quite a few Mustangs broken down on the side of the road. It's not a knock on Mustangs, but since more Mustangs are sold, the chances of one breaking down are much greater.

All cars will have their problems, regardless if it's a domestic or import. I used to have a Toyota pickup that I drove almost 247,000 miles until the motor blew. If I had just maintained the vehicle, I'd still be driving it.

That's funny my Jeep Cherokee has 247,000 on it and still running strong.

At this years Birthday Bash Dave Hill gave a presentation. In part of it he discussed the quality of the C5. I found it interesting that the C5 was considered best in class but had a problems per 100 of 115.

Corvette Junkie said:
I found it interesting that the C5 was considered best in class but had a problems per 100 of 115.

I'm from down South and don't think too fast. Could you explain that last sentence to me?

I have a 93 cavalier with 350,000 km's on it. Runs like new and still has all its power. I also have a 87 Astro van, well when my buddys ford's and european cars break down they call me to go tow them back home.

I also have a 77 corvette that i drive like crazy and it never skips a beat.

Never had any problems with an american car dont see why i woudnt buy another one. Hopefully a brand new Z06 lololololol

The number of Warranty claims to judge the quality of an automobile can be decieving, some people come in during the early part of ownership to have things adjusted under the warranty, usually nothing serious.... it could be anything from a window alignment, to a wheel balance, to a windshield wiper blade, to something more serious like oil consumption. This just means that the Big Three Auto makers know that there will always be room for improvement when you mass produce any vehicle. So they allow for warranty claim adjustments. Adjustments like that should be expected when there is a car rolling off the assembly line every minute or less depending on the make and model. Even the Space Shuttle and the Intl. Space Station is not 100% perfect. Try to get all those parts needed to build any vehicle perfect, and to work with one another for hours on end through a very large environmental range.
The final check just prior to delivery is one of the most important quality control checks that can be made to any vehicle short of the actual customer. That's why some dealers have fewer adjustment issues after the sale than other dealers. They might be doing a much more thorough pre-delivery check.
vettepilot

pilot,

What you're basically saying is that warranty claims are really vague. Did I interpret you correctly?

Hey, GM could hand build Corvette's just like the European guys, but the car would probably end up costing $300,000 and there won't be too many to get around.

I think the C5 is very reliable. I drive mine almost everyday. I have had some minor things like the Low oil Level, but it was true, the fuel gauge problem, and a couple of other minor issues, yet the Vette still drives just fine. All cars will have minor problems if you drive it. It's called wear and tear and it is normal. I have had several GM cars and A Toyota Camry and Supra. I would and still continue to buy the GM cars and not the Toyota's. I have actually had more problems with Toyota's than with GM cars. The Supra was a Piece of s***. My brother owned a 1995 Camaro Z28 and the car had 95,000 miles before he sold it for a 1998 Z28. He loved the car and that is why he bought the 1998. He had no problems with the car at all. American cars do get a bad rap. Remember if you take car of your car, it will take care of you no matter if it is American or not.

Well said danl. While you mentioned those Toyota's, I currently use a Camry V6 as my daily driver and it's given me no problems so far. I bought it used and have put about 35,000 miles on it so far and nothing has gone wrong. I just maintain it well and pray. But there was an instance when the check engine light came on and I took it to the dealer. He said the car has 3 O2 sensor's and they might need to be changed for $120 each! What ended up happening was that the check engine light turned off, they thought it might've been a dirty sensor or something like that to signal the check engine light.

Danl... ditto to what Bullwinkle said...

Bullwinkle, Yes about the warranty claims being vague. Unless they are collected and compiled into groupings that show the specific areas of warranty claims, sheer numbers are almost usless in determining the quality of any automobile, be it Corvettes, BMWs, or whatever. The reason I say this is because unless a specific trend is identified within one year/model grouping, the actual number of claims tells us nothing. Out of lets just say 35,000 cars built in one model year, lets say there are 10,000 warranty claims, if we just look at the number then one could say wow, that car has a failure rate of 30%... but if they are broken down by the actual problem area, AND those are broken down to only those that actually had a real problem not a percieved problem due to the customer not understanding how a specific system works, then those numbers MIGHT be reduced by as much as 30% (just pulling the numbers out of thin air here).
OK, now we have real numbers to work with, we are now down to approx. 7000 real warranty claims out of 35,000 cars built, that's about 20% of the total built. Remember we are counting all claims at this point, now if we break those 7000 claims down into system areas, and look at those in one particular system, then look for the same problems cropping up in that system on more than one vehicle we have the beginning of a trend for that model year. Lets say we have high oil consumption in some but not all 2001 model year Corvttes built from VIN 00001 thru VIN 14550, (gee now we really have a trend) then that is definately a trend, and the engineers are probably already working on why that is showing up now, and how can it be remedied. What circumstances are causing the high oil consumption in some engines, but not in others. This is why it's so very important to go to the dealer for warranty claim service not your favorite non- dealer tech. The dealer has to document the problem, this provided data on the fleet, and the problem will usually be corrected in future vehicles.
Well this got a bit lengthy, but I wanted to try to smoothly transition out of my thought process.
vettepilot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom