Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hub and bearing absasr warning lights.

D

davrober

Help. I shipped a lt1 up to NY and when it got here the ab-sasr lights would not go out. I discovered the shipper crushed a wire to the rear sensors and had it fixed, but they are still lit. The shop cleared the codes but code 27 keeps coming up. He says hes not getting any abs data fromt the left front abs and I need to replace the front hub and bearing assembly. I cant see how a car on a flatbed could wind up with a bad bearing or bad sensor, but Im not exactly a hot shot mechanic either. I cant see anything wrong from inspection visually, Im wondering is it possible I just have a bad sensor and dont need the whole unit. Id appreciate any help. Also if anyone knows how much should one of these hub assemblies go for and is the sensor extra? Thanks for any help.

davrober said:
The shop cleared the codes but code 27 keeps coming up. He says hes not getting any abs data fromt the left front abs and I need to replace the front hub and bearing assembly.

If it was mine, I'd take it to another mechanic for a second opinion. ;)

Then I'd go after the transport company! :mad

Ive thought about going after him but hes a small independant in and lives in Pa, i dont know if it would cost me more than its worth. Ive gotten an estimate of $750-1000 to fix it but Im still not sure its the whole hub. That code 27 shows when no data is recorded standing still, so I need to find out if I can just rplace the sensor, and Ive since heard from another forum about cleaning the sensors. They apparantly get dirty inside which can short em out. Thanks for the input.; Dave

cleaning sensors

any other info on HOW to clean the sensors?

Im not sure how to clean them either I was hoping someone on the forum would know.

well if it dose come down to replaceing the bearing I just replaced mine last week. Its not too hard of a job just time consumeing and i did it all for less then 200$ (only to find out that the problem was relly those Mother &^%*(* Universal joints.) I took digi cam pics of the step by step removal so If needed i can post that for you.

But try and be happy.... you still have a corvette!

Ok Ill keep it in mind, its a good option. Your right I have a corvette <ggggggggg>

The hub and bearing shouldn't cause the problem. All it has is a toothed ring. You can check the sensor with an ohm meter and compare it to the other sensor. The sensor on an 87 is held in by a single bolt. It's only a coil of wire. If you had one wiring problem you might have another one.

JS

Thats what I think. He says he wasnt getting any output from the sensor, I assume he meant voltage, question is can the sensor be replaced by itself. Another mechanic friend said he had a similar problem on his blazer and it was because the toothed ring you mentioned became glogged with rust and grime and grounded the connection. My neighbor has a 93 , same as mine only 3 years earlier, Im checking his shop manual to see if I can get the unit apart to clean it. Thanks for your help

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom