Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HUD Reading way low on gas tank level

hzl6cm

Corvette
1970 Laguna Grey Convert., '04 Z06
I have a friend at work who's sister just bought a new 2008 Corvette. When she filled up the gas tank the guage read full but the display on the HUD only read 1/4 full. After driving it awhile the HUD display went up to 1/2 full but no higher. She took it to the dealer and he told her that was normal that it was just the difference between anolog and digital. I told the guy that I thought the dealer was full of it, but thought I would check here to see if anybody had any words of wisdom.

I don't normally display the guages on the HUD on my '04 Z06 but when I have they agree with the guages in the dash.

I did tell him to let her know about the good resources available here on the CAC.

I have a 2006 C-6 with HUD. It does not have a fuel reading. At least I can't find one. My C-5 had the fuel reading and was dissappointed to not have it up there on the C-6.

MCMLVII

Thanks for the reply. I mention to him how I had read on one of the forums how somebody had there HUD set up to display the wrong guage and was confused as to what he was seeing, but he said that she told him how she could scroll through the different pages on the HUD so he was confident she had it on the correct display. However, after reading your reply I checked the elctronic service manual for the '08 Corvette and found that there is no fuel level display, just the low fuel warning. My guess is that she is seeing the coolant teperature since it is at 1/4 when she filled up and then went up to 1/2 and stayed there.

Coolant temp is what I get. Although very important, I would like to also see the fuel levels.

While on the subject of HUD displays, I find the G force reading useless if not dangerous. When in the middle of a turn where you are pushing it, to look at the G force reading you have to look back to the center of the windshield, not where you are going. First time I tried it it scared the hell out if me.

MCMLVII

Thanks for the reply. I mention to him how I had read on one of the forums how somebody had there HUD set up to display the wrong guage and was confused as to what he was seeing, but he said that she told him how she could scroll through the different pages on the HUD so he was confident she had it on the correct display. However, after reading your reply I checked the elctronic service manual for the '08 Corvette and found that there is no fuel level display, just the low fuel warning. My guess is that she is seeing the coolant teperature since it is at 1/4 when she filled up and then went up to 1/2 and stayed there.

I have an 08' with the same problem, and yes, 08' models brought back the fuel gauge.

I also had the HUD with fuel gauge on my 04' C5.

Interesting since the description of the HUD in the '08 Service Manaul doesn't reference the fuel guage. I heard that she did say that it is the fuel guage that she is seeing and she took it back to the dealer and I haven't heard yet what they had to say.

Interesting since the description of the HUD in the '08 Service Manaul doesn't reference the fuel guage. I heard that she did say that it is the fuel guage that she is seeing and she took it back to the dealer and I haven't heard yet what they had to say.

Oh Boy, Was I wrong! There is no gas gauge!
After reading my owners manual again...I found out that what we thought the "F" in the HUD was for Fuel readings is in fact the Transmission Temperature gauge. The "F" we see in the HUD denotes "FLUID" for transmission fluid temperature. The other readings are Water Temperature - Oil Temperature - Oil Pressure (watch the bar graph rise and lower with engine throttle) and Fluid Transmission temperature. There is also a G meter and Linear or Oval Tachometer setting.
Thanks for the post - this is how we educate ourselves with Chevy's Best and, I learned something new on my 08'.
chris

I just found out that is what the dealer's service department told my friends sister on her car when she took it back in last Friday. She had assumed the same thing about the F. Now if the dealer had tolder her that to start with then should wouldn't have had a problem.

I would gladely trade the HUD fuel level guage on my '04 Z06 for a transmission temperature guage. The car monitors transmission temperature but it only tells you what the temperature is (on the computer display) when it gets too high - I would like to know what it is before then.

While on the subject of HUD displays, I find the G force reading useless if not dangerous. When in the middle of a turn where you are pushing it, to look at the G force reading you have to look back to the center of the windshield, not where you are going. First time I tried it it scared the hell out if me.

MCMLVII
THe "G" Meter" is a fun toy, but you are correct, it is distracting. If you want to see what your "top G loading" was for a certain drive, just hold down the "PAGE" button for 5 seconds prior to shutdown. Once you shutdown it is erased.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom