Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

hurray My Barry Grant six shooter is finally in

Well here it is.

With the air cleaner in place I am a 1/2" too tall to fit under my hood.

Tomorow I will order a 67 trip power lid and filter element and then make up a new base for it to adapt it to the barry grant set up

Looks like the ignition sheilding will be able to stay on the car, I also have to exstend the thermostat neck another inch or so ,so I can still use my cool flex radiator hose.

I am still waiting on my new TV cable for the kick down.

I will keep you guys posted

pebkac.jpg

Well here it is.

SOMEONE GET ME A TOWEL.......:_rock

is that square port? do they make a round port intake?

...from the looks of the manifold, it appears taller than mine (the runners are not as squished as my later 68/69 manifold).............lookin good.!

Kid

They make the round and the retangular ones , What motor do you want to put it on? If its your 440 engine it should bolt right on.

I will take a picture down the throats tonight

Larry

beautiful set-up! :)

you don't need clearance for the hood, just do what you did last year and a cut a hole in the hood. :D

Larry

beautiful set-up! :)

you don't need clearance for the hood, just do what you did last year and a cut a hole in the hood. :D

You know Barry I am in a different mindset this year, Last year I would have done anything to get the car there to the show(cut a hole in the hood, arrive with no seat covers) but this year I am more relaxed. I have my hands full just trying to get the new TV kit installed and adjusted, Getting another 1 1/4" welded onto the aluminum thermostat housing. I may not attempt to even install this set before Carlisle. I just don't want any more stress this year. We will see what happens I am waiting on the new air cleaner lid and filter element so I can fabricate a new carb base for the air cleaner. (I would go with out an air cleaner)

I was real excited about getting the tri power set up but with my new found information on the TV kit I am absolutely thrilled and excited I will get the trans to shift correctly now. The kit come with a real cool cam set up for the throttle linkage that gets set and adjusted in every gear with a pressure gauge. Looks like an all week end job to get the tv set then a couple of hours for the intake swap out

Larry
you know i was only kidding I hope :)

the car is beautiful the way she is already. don't try to rush things. If you don't have enough time to get it installed bring the car as she already is and worry about it after the show. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know well more than I do when I say take your time and do it right the first time rather than trying to rush it for the show and having to go back afterwards and do it all over again to correct stuff that isn't "just right" because you were in a hurry.

We are all going to drool over your beautiful car anyway seeing it again regardless of the intake/carb set-up you have on it this year. :beer:

IH2LOSE:

I have the zz440 with the aluminum oval ports heads.

VNV is trying to get me to spend even more of money on the BG setup for the bb but I'm not so sure. I'm first going to see how the vortech hairdryer works on the sb, then I make my decision. Either I go back to the tripower setup or go the vortech route, not sure.

I have all the original tripower equipment but I'm just not all that sure about the very restricitve low rise manifold that I have...which is why I would really appreciate your photos. Knowing me, I'll probably stick with my manifold since it it low rise but go with new Holly's. They're cheap enough and I don't have the problems that others do with this brand of carbs. Another interesting point on the factory manifold is the difference in size for the carb bores. If memory serves me correctly, the center carb bores are larger than the ends but it looks like the ends have enough meat to be opened up. Of course, the ME's in the crowd would say why open up the top end if your manifold is so restrictive anyway. So' I'm not sure what I'll do if I eventually go back to the tripower.

I assume you know that K&N sells the triangular air filter for the tripower? Pack your wallet, though.

Keep us informed.

I assume you know that K&N sells the triangular air filter for the tripower? Pack your wallet, though.

Nope I never thought about it,certainley would have been cheaper then the original stlyle with the wrapper on it.

I live and learn.

I will take some photos tonight and post them

Larry...here 'ya go:

E-1970 Product Specifications
Product Style: Triangle Air Filter
Height: 1.75 in (44 mm)
Inside Length: 14 in (356 mm)
Outside Length: 16.25 in (413 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.03 oz (30 ml)
Inner Wire: No
Top Material/Finish: None
Top Style: Open
Weight: 2.7 lb (1.2 kg)
Product Box Length: 16.25 in (413 mm)
Product Box Width: 16.25 in (413 mm)
Product Box Height: 4.75 in (121 mm)

Which reminds me. I've always viewed the factory air cleaner/filter assemblies to be somewhat restrictive. The tripower even more so. What I did was fabricate a custom air cleaner top from 1/16" (I think) stainless steel. I then located the center and cut out a hole large enough to accommodate a 9" round K&N. It sits directly above the center carb.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

The dimensions are simple. I had the scrap yard punch out 17" equilateral triangles from scrap stock and then I put the factory air cleaner on top and traced the outline. BEFORE I trimmed it, I located the true center and marked it with a punch. Much easier to do that with the end points in place. After trimming, I then free-handed the center cut and modified it to fit. Finally, I powder coated it. You could have it polished to look really cool.

"WTF, do what you want, it's your car"
VNV, after only one Martini

And That's Only after one....Can't repeat what I said after Two...:D

Heh Kid.. Check Vinnie Boombat's email......

Larry,

It seems to me that the custom Barry Grant air cleaner was more than likely sized to a stock catalog air filter element from a common source. I think that for Barry Grant it would be cheaper to cnc a custom air cleaner assembly than to have a major air filter company tool up to make a few hundred special sized elements.

With that said I would think that there would also be a filter element available someplace with the same specifications only shorter. From the picture it looks like a 4" tall filter. I'd bet that whoever makes it also has it in a 3" and even 2" tall. I've even seen guys remove the top of the element and cut the filter material down, then glue the top back on. It would be some work but nothing you can't do. Then you would still be able to use that trick looking filter assm.

Did you ask BG if they could supply a shorter element?

That BG air filter is very cool and matches the theme of your car. A stock '67 tri-poer filter is going to look way out of place on your car and I think breathing will suffer.

breathing will suffer with the stock unit, i totally agree

IH2LOSE:

I have the zz440 with the aluminum oval ports heads.

VNV is trying to get me to spend even more of money on the BG setup for the bb but I'm not so sure. I'm first going to see how the vortech hairdryer works on the sb, then I make my decision. Either I go back to the tripower setup or go the vortech route, not sure.

I have all the original tripower equipment but I'm just not all that sure about the very restricitve low rise manifold that I have...which is why I would really appreciate your photos. Knowing me, I'll probably stick with my manifold since it it low rise but go with new Holly's. They're cheap enough and I don't have the problems that others do with this brand of carbs. Another interesting point on the factory manifold is the difference in size for the carb bores. If memory serves me correctly, the center carb bores are larger than the ends but it looks like the ends have enough meat to be opened up. Of course, the ME's in the crowd would say why open up the top end if your manifold is so restrictive anyway. So' I'm not sure what I'll do if I eventually go back to the tripower.

Keep us informed.

I have a 67 Oval port 3x2. I have been thinking of getting it cleaned up by one of the professionals who do that stuff. What are these things worth these days?

I have a 67 Oval port 3x2. I have been thinking of getting it cleaned up by one of the professionals who do that stuff. What are these things worth these days?

Got your shorts on..... I Hear..(now I may be wrong so don't all you experts jump in and Flame me...).. Original Matching parts complete anywhere from $5000.00 to $7500.00 Restored..

I got this $ number from a Vette restorer friend of mine. He did a 427/435 car and that the owner had paid $7500.00 for the correct unit restored. And that was less the complete Air Cleaner.!

Holy ..S_ _ T..!!

well you know there are more 427-435's running around today then back in the 60's ;) and they have to get parts somewhere. you know that old supply vs demand thing :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom