Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Hypertech

jetboat89

Corvette
1989 Convertible
I received a box of stuff from the original owner. Inside was a box marked 16134203 calibration,inside was a Hypertech PT.128 982
I read on line that this is suppose to turn the fan on at 160^ and help gas mileage.Does anyone know if this all it will do?
I new to the Corvette world. I have a 1989 Corvette convert.
Would like to get some more lower end torque out this car.Any ideas?

I read on line that this is suppose to turn the fan on at 160^ and help gas mileage.
Does anyone know if this all it will do??
You have it free so worth trying to see what you think.
It will change the fan on temp ( pointless without a 160 thermostat ) but little else
The fact it is not installed in the car should tell you something :chuckle

Would like to get some more lower end torque out this car.Any ideas?
You have a TPI engine and want more torque???? most owners want more top end from the rev restricted TPI ( 4500 max )
TPI is one of the torquest 350's ever made; more torque than a LT1

.Any ideas?
Read this link ( especially comments at bottom )
Modifications

I doubt that it will help gas mileage.
Also, if you don't install a lower temperature thermostat with it, you'll have the fans fighting the thermostat for control of the engine temperature.

Change your diff ratio to a 3.54 - if you have an auto with a 2.59 it's a completely different more fun car , effectively you *will* "up the torque"....... and shred tyres and get out of shape on the 1-2 and maybe even the 2-3 upshift , you wont be beaten from the stoplights by ricers or eurotrash hot hatches either..

I received a box of stuff from the original owner. Inside was a box marked 16134203 calibration,inside was a Hypertech PT.128 982
The box contains the stock "chip", so if you need to replace the OE calibration you can.
I read on line that this is suppose to turn the fan on at 160^ and help gas mileage.Does anyone know if this all it will do?
It may improve fuel economy slightly. It will not turn on the fan at 160° ECT. What it may do is slightly improve performance. It may reduce the fan-on temperature somewhat, but not as low as 160. A lot of what's posted on the Internet is incorrect or incomplete information. It is possible that Hypertech calibration in your ECM is designed to work with a 160-deg. thermostat. If that's the case, the chip's spark schedule is pretty aggressive for use with a stock thermostat. If that's what's in your engine, I'd put in a 180. You may want to remove the existing 'stat and ID it.
I new to the Corvette world. I have a 1989 Corvette convert.
Would like to get some more lower end torque out this car. Any ideas?

To modestly improve power and torque will require a fair amount of money in bolt-on parts,

To significantly improve power and torque will require the same bolts ons, an engine overhaul if the engine is high-mileage and a camshaft change.

One way you can noticeably improve acceleration performance is change the axle ratio if your existing ratio is the 2.72:1 typical of a lot of convertibles. Go to the 3.07 ratio and you'll gain performance with only a modest hit in fuel mileage.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom