Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I added Marvel Mystery oil to my 85 and mpg seems to have increased

Ruby Fan

Corvette
1985 Black Beauty Coupe, 93 Ruby, 96 CE vert
When I got my 85 a few years ago, only 41K on her, inside the valve covers looked black and gunky. I always change my oil way under the recommended miles. Recently I decided to put in some Marvel, prior to changing my oil, figured it would clean up some gunk and I also added some for the current oil change. I took a highway trip and my new/improved mileage is around 25mpg. I use to get about 22.5mpg. So maybe MM oil did something. I also added a bit to the gas once, but not on a regular basis. I also use WalMart Syn-this year does not call for GM approved syn. Just sharing here.

When I got my 85 a few years ago, only 41K on her, inside the valve covers looked black and gunky. I always change my oil way under the recommended miles. Recently I decided to put in some Marvel, prior to changing my oil, figured it would clean up some gunk and I also added some for the current oil change. I took a highway trip and my new/improved mileage is around 25mpg. I use to get about 22.5mpg. So maybe MM oil did something. I also added a bit to the gas once, but not on a regular basis. I also use WalMart Syn-this year does not call for GM approved syn. Just sharing here.

I use MM on a regular basis. Its excellent top end lube, it helps to free rings and sticky valves, disolve gunk and I would swear that my engine seems to run better with a dose in the gas. I also add it to oil a couple hundred miles prior to oil change. I would not advocate using more than a few oz in the gas if you still have cats.
The stuff works.:beer

You get 25MPG on the highway? How fast do you drive? Heck, I get 21MPG in my normal driving around home and my foot is through the headlights at least once or twice. I got 32MPG on mine. Different engine I know but still. I don't know about Marvel Mystery oil, but I can recommend BG products MOA oil additive and their 44K fuel system treatment. It works.

If you switched to synthetic oil since you last checked it that could be where your extra mileage comes from. Did you change where you get your gas ?
I pretty much use Shell gas and get 24 + mgp all around driving.. 12 to 15 mile runs each way.
Couple weeks ago I was in a situation where I needed gas and no shell station around.. filled it with Sinclare ... lost 2miles per gal. Next tank back to Shell gained the 2 back.
Cheap gas costs.
Don't get me wrong , I am not knocking MMO

Glenn
:w

If you switched to synthetic oil since you last checked it that could be where your extra mileage comes from. Did you change where you get your gas ?
I pretty much use Shell gas and get 24 + mgp all around driving.. 12 to 15 mile runs each way.
Couple weeks ago I was in a situation where I needed gas and no shell station around.. filled it with Sinclare ... lost 2miles per gal. Next tank back to Shell gained the 2 back.
Cheap gas costs.
Don't get me wrong , I am not knocking MMO

Glenn
:w

Its a FACT that the various blended gasolines produce less thermal energy, so it takes more to go the same distance...which equals less distance for the same amount of fuel used.

You know why a corn farmers ball cap has the front rounded don;t ya?

so it'll fit in the mailbox looking for that gov ethanol subsidy check... !;LOL

MMO will negate the effects of ethanol- methanol in pump gas the formula for engines equipped with ox sensors ..is 2 ounces per 5 gallons. prevents drying of rubber seals and provides increase in octane rating, along with cleaning injectors combustion deposits etc.
bobistheoilguy.com provides good petrochemical engineer analysis.

MMO will negate the effects of ethanol- methanol in pump gas the formula for engines equipped with ox sensors ..is 2 ounces per 5 gallons. prevents drying of rubber seals and provides increase in octane rating, along with cleaning injectors combustion deposits etc.
bobistheoilguy.com provides good petrochemical engineer analysis.

so there is real science to support my claim that it feels like its runs better? I would swear that it does...:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom