Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 I am about to buy a 96' LT4...need opinions

1996 LT4 Topic
Stinger-

When I purchased my 96 CE a few months back I did a lot of research and noticed that a pristine "96 is around $25K and once the car is past 20,000 mi. the price seems to drop about a grand for every 10K miles. There are better deals but, when you get up close, they're not quite as cherry as the seller would have you believe. At any rate you're probably looking at some bushing issues. Not from wear, just from the age of the orig. rubber. Good luck, post pic's.!!

I just bought a Prestine 96' LT4 Black / Tan Leather, 32K Mi.one owner never driven in the rain. I knew of the original owner.Bought it new and passed away in 97'.It's absolutely flawless.still has the original front GSC's
Paid $21,245.00
Extremely good deal...I think.

Sounds like a nice car..... a bit rare also. As you may know, most people opted for the beige int. with the Polo Grn. There where only 50 LT4 Polo Grn w/blk int. built. Depending on the suspension you have, that number drops again...... only 5 of the above cars had the F45 option !!!!! Enjoy

Stinger !! said:
To: VetteLT193....

You are absolutely correct with this statement...I know you can find this year with LT4 with high miles for much less $$...in the mid teens is common. But I will only drive it for maybe 5000 miles in any given year...You have to look at it this way also...buying a new or newer one will result in thousands and thousands of $$ loss, were with this year and kept in nice shape maybe only a few thousand over a couple of years...your point is well taken and I appreciate your response! Stinger!!

5k a year isn't overly low. If you think about it over 10 years, that will add 50k to the clock, so it would be like buying a 1986 with 80k miles on it. The difference between an '86 with 80k and 100k is hardly any (if any) $$ at all. Just be careful that you don't kill yourself on value. I never liked the feeling that putting miles on the car is going to take $$ out of my pocket.

If you get up NY ways(Long Island) I am thinking of selling my 96 LT4 convertible, has 16K miles , Black/Black,K&N Claw Intake, New Tires and a couple of extras, I am at $24K firm car is excellent.Oh and that LT4 engine is exactly what everyone says about it BEAUTIFUL!!!

Just bought my 2nd Vette....96' LT4 Black with Tan Leather 32K Miles one owner. Immaculate.I love it.A fine sports Car.Paid 21K and some change.

Dennis - CAJUN C4

Mandeville, La

Buy it...Life's too short...My wife bought me mine..What a woman....You won't regret it.

I bought my 96 LT4 coupe, torch red w/ black interior, most options with standard suspension, 32,000 miles for $18,000 in Nov 03. It has 39,000 now with no problems except I put new GY's on it. What a car; I love it!!! And it is not expensive to drive. It is easy to average 26 plus mpg @ 80. The seats fit me like a glove; so comfortable. On and on.

Decipher VIN code

Can someone clear this up from a previous post concerning a recall? What is the VIN code range? I just don't understand.
YEARMODELPLANTCODEFROMTHROUGH1996Y-CarBowling Green"5"T5100052T51111161996Y-CarBowling Green"5"T5600012T5600363

FB REF said:
Can someone clear this up from a previous post concerning a recall? What is the VIN code range? I just don't understand.
YEARMODELPLANTCODEFROMTHROUGH1996Y-CarBowling Green"5"T5100052T51111161996Y-CarBowling Green"5"T5600012T5600363

Just take your VIN to any Chev dealer service dept and they can look up whether or not your vehicle has been serviced on any recall.

jcs44 said:
I think the LT4 engine actually runs smoother than the LT1 ( I had a 95 LT1).

I noticed the same thing, I had a 96 LT1 prior to the LT4 and also a 97 LT1 (Trans Am) and the LT4 idles/runs much smoother than either LT1 did...

FB REF said:

The last eight characters of your VIN form a string that starts with the letter T.

If the seven digits after the T lie within the range 5100052 through 5111116, or within 5600012 through 5600363, your car is included in the campaign.

thinking about a lt4?

Big difference between lt1 and lt4, way more power (different engine) and manual shift only in lt4. So, you will want the CAGS 1-4 bypass switch $18 at Ecklers, search this site for insatlation help. Have your mechanic look at the water pump. When it goes out, the distributor thing gets replaced too. Very expensive. Mine went out at 81k.
Get you some 303 Aerospace Protectant for the rubber anywhere like windows seals and lotsa plastic. But the rubber parts crack and fall apart real easy around the hatch and rear window.
That's the only problems I have had so far. I'm going GA to CA to WA back to GA starting Feb. I should find a few more things along the way.

JC LT4 vs LT1 I was under the impression same engine with bigger valves and ports (and other internals) and a 30 HP gain and about ten more pounds of torque. Have I got it wrong?

How about a triple black LT4 vert with under 33K on the clock and a hardtop for the same price? Superb condition with LTPWS, Goodyear run flats, Bose Gold (works fine), dual power sports seats, standard suspension, auto electronic HVAC. Send me email for pics

JCS44

Sounds good to me !

JCS44

Your deal seems a lot sweeter and the color combo is tops. My mistake was buying the 96 LT1 and not the LT4 so my next move is the C5.

If l had the Lt4 engine l would stay pat.

Also the dk Green doesn't do much for me and the resale is lower then the other colors.

Anyway good luck with whatever you do, because you can't go wrong with any late model vette.

Alan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom