Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I did something naughty yesterday...

I was returning home from my daughters' soccer game and she needed to attend a church event and I needed to get there quicker than normal because the time was close. So when, in a deserted stretch of highway, I bumped it well passed three digits, my daughter was a little concerned. I only stayed there for a moment or two.

The good part of this story is the next week, when my daughter informed me she had to raise her hand in class when the teacher asked students to raise their hands if they had been in a car traveling 100 MPH or more. She did say there were a few more than just her with raised hands.

Yesterday, after a year of ownership, I took my C5 past the century mark. Though I am usually wary of cops and all that, there were several cars going under the speed limit on the interstate (I-25 between Colorado Springs and Denver). I, of course, decided to pass them, yet stay within the +5 mph over the speed limit (75 mph). As I moved into the left lane a large Dodge pick up came zipping up on me and decided to ride my tail....jerk. As soon as I cleared a rise and noticed no cops, I punched it. Within seconds, I was over 100 mph and , of course pulled away fast from the Dodge and passed several cars. I got back into the right lane and slowed down, again, wary of hiding police. This was fun!

Being a frequent traveler of that particular stretch of road...I can definitely understand how that feels "naughty"! (and being guilty of the exact same thing once or twice) There is some serious "I'm king of this road" mentality through there, and its downright dangerous. Plus you just never know when/where the CSP is hiding...just this past Friday I counted at least 5 people pulled over.

Now if you really want some "thrill" driving...join the RMCSC on a drive sometime... :chuckle

....... As I moved into the left lane a large Dodge pick up came zipping up on me and decided to ride my tail....

I find the vast majority of the tailgaters are 4X4's. You look in your mirror and all you see is chrome and bugs. They're easy enough to dust off, mind you, but most times I'm just out for a relaxing cruise. My wife says they're compensating for being shorted on something.
As for 100mph, it's amazing how quickly it arrives.

One of these days... finally cleared the citation for approaching a buck and a quarter in my old Stealth from my record. It takes 3 years here in Miichigan. I'm still a little gun shy thinking there will be an officer somewhere I cant see him.:eek:hnoes

Not a kill but what the heck. At the northern end of I-287 in Jersey just before NY line, it's 3 lanes. Speed limit is 65 and I'm in the left doing just shy of 75 and passing a long center lane of traffic which is a mix of 18 wheelers and such. Kid in a ricer is up my pipes and dodging back and forth just inches off my bumper.

Look, I am a nice guy and when I pass this line I'll gladly move over and let you roar off. And yeah, I'm one of those idiots when I was pulling my boat, used to look for spots to edge right or pull right to let folks go by so I ain't quite a dude with a tude.

Kid in the ricer can't wait so he hits the binders drops way back and heads for the right lane and I know what he has in mind. :chuckle

Shift to third and put the pedal in and am well over the century mark in seconds ..... and ...... am now passing the second line of traffic at about 74. The kid must be questioning his sanity cause when by the time he pops out on the right ... oh well .. he's back on my bumper and does a repeat so once again, I put the pedal in and am passing the next line of traffic. I guess you had to be there? I kind of let him go by after that after blowing him a kiss but ..... damn .... I hate that tailgate and zig-zag crap.

140mph on I-25 b/w 120th ave and 128th. Only 8 "blocks", and down hill....but hanging with the sheep that drive now-a-days just kills me. Plus, the car loved it!

That is super stupid.. Way too much traffic in that section and they monitor it closely. :eek:hnoes

Please consider moving North... that is why God invented Wyoming.;)

Ohhh do NOT get caught speeding in WY with CO plates! I once got pulled over in WY for doing like 3 mph over the speed limit...and just after the sign where the limit dropped. He gave me a long winded speech about being at the speed limit BEFORE crossing the sign. :eyerole They just love to mess with CO folks.

Excellent point Bill. Part of the problem may stem from the hoards of Colorado Vetters that drive up to Spearfish S.D. every year for the Black Hills Corvette Classic. I seem to remember driving over 100 miles on 85 without seeing even as much as a tree. About the only thing noticable is a squashed jack rabbit or road kill of some sort about every hunderd yards or so. I think the varments simply run into the road to commit suscide due to boredom. Couldn't believe it when we drove past the town of Four Corners that had one building and a town sign proudly showing a population of 5.

Hell, shouldn't be a speed limit up there....nothing to run into.;shrug

Is it not obvious that these a$$holes in Dodge trucks think they can fk with anyone at anytime they please? It's this pathetic juvenile mentality from the advertising and obnoxious styling that makes them think they can pull this crap. I've had this observation independently backed multiple times.
(snip)

I've often wondered the same thing and that wonderment was driven home by an incident which happended to me a couple of years ago.

I was driving home one evening from a business appointment in my 95. I was in a suburban area on a four-lane which had a 50 mph limit. I passed through one green light and shortly afterwards a Dodge Ram SRT10--the one with the Viper engine in it--drew along side. He dropped into neutral, reved the motor, then went back in gear, floored it for a double-forced-downshift and away he went. I have to admit, that V10 blowing through some kind of modified, quad-outlet exhaust he had on the truck sounded pretty darn nasty. I, too accelerated, but with that much of a head start, I decided to let him go to the next stoplight which was red.

After that red light was a long, almost straight stretch with no lights or side streets. As I pulled up to the light, I reached out and turned the valet swtch on...oh, did I mention my 95 is a ZR-1 with a 500-hp AutoMasters Streetskinner engine?:boogie

Sheesh, I felt guilty. This was like setting a trap for prey you know had no chance of escape.

The light went green. The SRT10 was off the line like a shot. I left hard but not hard enough to spin the tires but I let him stay out there in front by a couple of cars until I got to about peak torque in second gear.

Then....:chuckle...I floored it.

7000 in second and I banged third gear. I went by that truck at about 5500 in third and he musta thought he'd hit the brakes by mistake.

At the next light which was a little over a mile from the last one. He pulled up again next to me and waited for the green but did not look over. If he would have, he'd have seen the "ZR-1" badge on the hood and have felt like even more of a freakin' moron that he already did.:bash

Now of course:upthumbs there's always another side to every story.

The Dodge RAM diesels which are properly modified can kick a Vette's ass if you're not careful. The guys who really know diesels can build 600hp Cummins with 1000 lbft torque and put street-driven trucks in the 11s.

The lesson is that even we bad-assed Vettsters need to be careful of mod'ed diesels.

i do that very offen.
it keeps my blood moving
billy

I've never gone over 100 with my Vette, but I did get up to about 120 across the Utah desert while driving a friend's 96 LT1 across country for him. No worries though, he was right behind me in his wife's Saturn... at first.

I'm pretty much an "around the speed limit" type of driver, but since I got my Vette, I notice that almost any car whose driver thinks it has a little giddyup (i.e. ricers) just blast off the line when we're at a red light. Hell, a damn Nissan Altima was trying to get me to race the other day! I'm pretty sure this isn't just my imagination since when I'm not in the Vette, I'm driving my truck, a Toyota Tacoma. When I'm in the truck, I keep up with the traffic just fine getting off the line. When I'm driving the Vette, there's always some turd that makes a point of accelerating like a manic once the light goes green. It's *almost* enough to make me actually punch it when I get into 2nd gear.

And the tailgaiters really annoy me. I usually just ignore them and get over when I can (although I will admit to sometimes taking my own sweet time about it) but if they really annoy me, I'll drop down a gear and they get real small in the rear view mirror real quick. It's nice to have accelerating out of any potential problem situation as an option.

:w Save the Wave! :w

I'm So Disappointed

Yes Rick....you've been a very bad boy. You're grounded....now go to your room.
Remo:cool

It's more fun when you have a 6 speed and drop it from 6th to 4th in a Z06. :D

For those of us on the east coast, especially the mid-Atlantic area, why not register with Kerbeck Corvette for their annual "Toys For Tots" Fall get-together. After NJSP closes off the expressway for about 20 miles, those registered can take their car to whatever speed they'd like. Google Kerbeck Corvette and YouTube using Kerbeck Toys For Tots and you can see others blasting down the road. C - 5 - ya, there!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom