Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I Don't Get It

Rowdy1

Corvette
1962 CORVETTE-SOLD 2004 Z16 Z06 CE
From the day I bought my 62, I've always felt it sat low in the back. This past year, I actually bottomed out a couple times on a really bad bump so I decided it was time for new rear springs. The ones I took out were 4 leaf, didn't match and in sad shape. I got a NEW set of 5 leaf heavy duty from a supplier who I won't mention but the car sat EXACTLY the same. I'm sending them back for a full refund, just losing time and I ordered a set from Eaton Spring with an extra inch in them. I have access to 4 other 62's and every one of them sits almost two inches higher and I along with others have gone over every inch of my frame, hangers, crossmember and can find no difference anywhere. I'll know when the Eaton's get bolted in I "hope". Any thoughts? John Z?

Way back when we were young I had that problem with my 60 I went to Mercer Spring outside of Trenton and they rebuilt and re arched them to raise it up. I don't remember if I took the whole car there or just the springs though. :crazy
there is probably a place like that near you specialized in truck springs.

Give Joe V a call at Perth Amboy Spring Works. He did a couple of pairs for me a few years back.

Leaf springs are a tough one. There are really only two manufacturers - Eaton Spring, and John R. Spring (both in the Detroit area), plus God knows who else makes them offshore. The grooved SAE 5160 strip stock hasn't been available from any mill for over 20 years, so nobody's reproduction spring will LOOK correct, but Eaton Spring generally does a good job getting the height and load rate right. If they don't meet your expectations, call Mike at Eaton and talk to him about it.

:beer

Thanks.........

Leaf springs are a tough one. There are really only two manufacturers - Eaton Spring, and John R. Spring (both in the Detroit area), plus God knows who else makes them offshore. The grooved SAE 5160 strip stock hasn't been available from any mill for over 20 years, so nobody's reproduction spring will LOOK correct, but Eaton Spring generally does a good job getting the height and load rate right. If they don't meet your expectations, call Mike at Eaton and talk to him about it.

:beer

jjmish, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I see you're a "joisey" boy also, we need to get together down at the "joisey" shore, read the post on the Muncie from other "joisey" boyz. JohnZ, that's the reply I was hoping for from you, I thank you. I have the Eaton 5 leaf with an inch added to their stock spring on the way along with Mike's guarantee, "if" I need more he'll do it for no extra charge. I have to bolt them up, set it on the ground and if it's NOT what I want, ship them back with how much I want added/deleted. Thanks again, I'll post when it hits the ground with the results.

From the day I bought my 62, I've always felt it sat low in the back. This past year, I actually bottomed out a couple times on a really bad bump so I decided it was time for new rear springs. The ones I took out were 4 leaf, didn't match and in sad shape. I got a NEW set of 5 leaf heavy duty from a supplier who I won't mention but the car sat EXACTLY the same. I'm sending them back for a full refund, just losing time and I ordered a set from Eaton Spring with an extra inch in them. I have access to 4 other 62's and every one of them sits almost two inches higher and I along with others have gone over every inch of my frame, hangers, crossmember and can find no difference anywhere. I'll know when the Eaton's get bolted in I "hope". Any thoughts? John Z?

The 5 leaf springs with CalTracks are what I'm using .....It's a little stiffer ride but there is no squatting!!

Guilty As Charged

If tires were solid, I would accuse you of burning inches off the radius.:lou

I can't deny doing a:lou John.

tsarbar, what are CalTracks?:confused

lou

Did you ever think of having them made locally ?

There is a place on rt 17 south called Hakensack universal joint and spring, they are by the meadow lands.

I have them do our vans and we drop them off loaded and he replaces the leafs and adds leifs as the trucks need them to level them off. I normally drop them off the night before and pick them up the next day so far every one he has done has been perfect

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom