Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I found a 1956 corvette barn find

Mike Terry

Corvette
63 SWC and 67 Coupe F/S 54 Corvette NFS
I found a 1956 Corvette Barn find yesterday about 15 miles from my house, a friend told me about it. I went to see if the information I had gotten on it was real or not and yes it was real. There it set. Up on jack safety stands, in a pole barn covered with old heavy thick blankets. The windshield and frame was missing, the passenger seat was missing, and so was the radiator. But it was so cool. When I started taking off the blankets I found the grill and chrome surround were missing also. All of that could be bought and replaced. Yea it needed restored and the chrome bumpers and other chrome needed re plated along with a total frame off restoration. The 265 with 2x4's were there and I had brought $20,000.00 cash with me just incase this was a true story in hopes of buying a true Barn Find. I talked to the old guy who owned the car, along with about 50 other cars setting outside rusting away and rotting, none were Corvettes. He was old (older then me) with more white hair then me and not sure when the last time he had ever washed his hair or himself. A salt and pepper long dirty beard, dressed in old holely bib overalls, smoking little cigar. After talking to this guy for over an hour I asked what it would take to buy that 1956 Corvette. He said "it is not for sale." We talked a while longer and I asked again how much for the 1956 Corvette that I was interested in buying it and bringing it back to life. He told me that the car was dead and as long as he was alive it would not be sold. After he was dead then his wife or daughter would sell it.
I almost went out to my truck and got my 9MM automatic hand gun and helped him with his wish but I didn't want to go to jail for killing the old guy so I didn't. I told him I have $20,000.00 cash right now. He said no that money was not important to him. At that I said well good day and good luck and walked off, got in my truck and drove home. I will keep an eye on the car, now that I know where it is and maybe someday, just someday it may be mine. We will see how time plays this out. Hell he may live longer then me.

I didn't even think about taking my camera with me. I should keep a camera in my truck all the time. I believe the old guy. I don't think he will ever sell the car. If I hound him I think he will get PO ed and not let me come around. He also has a lot of C1 and C2 parts that I am going to try to buy off of him. He acts like he don't know much about what he has but with a few small things he let slip, I can tell he knows what he has and you are not going to take advantage of him. NO WAY. He is a sharp old dude under the dirty hair and beard and holly bibs.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to buy it and then take it to Carlisle next year? The Chip's Choice Display is going to be "barn finds"!!

You're right...that old duffer knows just what he has and just might get ticked off if you bug him too much. The next time you go, take pix with your cell phone.

Elaine

You could take part of the money and hire a hit person who could make it look like an accident - maybe at a barber shop - and then approach the wife/daughter. I'll bet this guy has had more visitors on the corvette that have been just as mad as you were. I guess it was nice of him to let you look at the car - he could have just run you off. Now you can think twice about purchasing the car and restoring it. I had a 56 and don't think I would want it again after riding around in my C5s and C6s. I guess I am just too old - the 56 was great when I was in college back in the early 60s. Now I like the new stuff. But I wish you the best in obtaining the car.
Barrett

I would bet that Mike Yager will have his Barn Find at Carlisle, it is a 56 also. Only thing is he didn't find it. The guy who had it called Mike and asked if he would be interested in buying it. Barn Find, maybe I guess it depends on how you look at it. I am glad that Mike has it. It is a cool car and he is not going to restor it. just put it in the museum as it is and leave it. That is Ok I am still looking for another 54 project car. If anyone knows of one that is all or almost all there and reasonably please let me know. I have plans for it. As far as pic from my phone. I should have done that but never thought of it. I am not an electronic person. So if I did take a pic of it I would not know how to get it off the phone and sure don't know how to post it on here. I have tryed that before with no luck.

That is an amazing story. I wish I could say that same. Any chance the guy is lonely. From the conversation it doesn't appear that he has any sons, or perhaps he did at one time. I wouldn't think it would hurt to stop and and shoot the bull with the guy. Never know what may happen.

About the pics, I think we can figure out how to get them on here. :)

That is an amazing story. I wish I could say that same. Any chance the guy is lonely. From the conversation it doesn't appear that he has any sons, or perhaps he did at one time. I wouldn't think it would hurt to stop and and shoot the bull with the guy. Never know what may happen.

About the pics, I think we can figure out how to get them on here. :)

I don't know if he had or has any kids. I do know that as I was pulling out, there was a lady in the front yard up by the house. I did give the old guy my card just in case. He did ask if I would be interested in a 63 coupe. He said it has been in some guys garage or barn for sum 30 + years. I told him to see if the guy still has it and that I would be interested if the price was right. We will see if he call or not. If not I will go back in the spring and talk to him again.

They are still out there. I think we will see many more show up as baby boomers begin to expire in larger numbers. I agree that you need to stay in contact and stay friendly with the guy.

He just might have a change of heart sometime.

Tom

56-62 Corvettes For Sale

That 58 was advertised a month back for like 26,500,could of been bought cheaper since it was a desperation sale.

couple of Advanti's for sale in northern NJ,turn key in the 10K range.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom