Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I graduated today.........

regalniz

Corvette
94 Polo Green Convertible w/auto
Sold my 91 hatch and bought myself an automatic 94 convt. Green with tan int. Best part, 28k miles. Am I crazy, or did the L98 have more low end grunt than the LT1. Feels like my old Vette was faster.

you are not crazy.... well, unless i am crazy as well... the fam's 89 feels much quicker than my 96 LT1........

the ole' L98 is a low-end torque monster...

Geof

Welcome To The Corvette Action Center regalniz and Geof180!

Geof180 said:
the ole' L98 is a low-end torque monster...

Geof's got that right, the L-98 has much more grunt on the bottom end than the LT-1, but it also runs out of wind at somewhere a little below five grand. Whereas the LT-1 is a higher-winding engine, and will blow off an L-98 at the top end (both cars being stock and all).

Glad to have you guys with us. :upthumbs

Congrats on the new '94. As others have already mentioned, yes, the L98 does feel as though it has more torque than the LT1.

L98 have much low end torque.. thats why everyone loves the L98 for autocrossing.. but the LT1 has more power at the other end. Congrats on the new vette.

Congrats on the 94 vert. If you want alitttle more low end ummph get a better rear end ratio. That auto rear has no guts.
My 94 auto with 3.73 gears will pin you to the seat. It has a few othe rmods also but the gearing is probably the most dramatic.
If you do a lot of highway driving you might want to think it over as your gas mileage will suffer some.

With all that said

Can we safely say that the L98 could beat an LT1 in short stoplight to stoplight racing taken that both cars are stock? Auto vs. auto?

Does anyone know the 0-60 times of a late L98 and a LT1? Can the L98 outrun a LT1?

I do believe that the late L98 with the 6 speed can do 0-60 in 6 seconds. I'm pretty sure of that. I don't know about the LT1 though.

sheez if i put a 3:73 rear gear in my 87 auto i don't think she'll hold the road from a dead stop :D compared to a lazy 2.59 but on the high end she'll roll! just got to get my bolt ons bolted on to break the 4800 brick wall.....hehe :L today for instance a SS cammy new one got next to me with this beautiful blonde in it so i dropped down in 2nd to mess with her and give a smile well she did the same! :L for 10 miles thru highway down an interstate she couldn't really pull out on me and i think if i had my top in my coupe and windows up like she did i'd been glued on her back bumper :D we both hit the split at 97/100 and we both gave a huge smile and big thumbs up :D :D dang i wish she would of turned down with me to a gas station....hehe

Mad-Mic said:
we both hit the split at 97/100 and we both gave a huge smile and big thumbs up :D :D

I just can't help but ask: what split did you guys hit?:L :L :L Okay, sorry if that was inappropriate.

It is easy to spin the tires from a stop with 3.73 gears so you have to be very gentle with the gas pedal. Takes some gettting use to but not that bad. Its only a problem on dirt or sand. I have 315/35 tires on the rear so that helps.

Maybe you should of follwed her to the gas station,,for a little car talk.

Or at least to check under the hood....
hehehe

My 87 convertible auto would dust anything off the line, then it would (quickly) run out of horsepower... stop light to stop light? how far apart?? I used to run an LT1 6 speed against a friend with an L98 auto... He would blow my doors off at the line, then I would blow by him before the 1/4 mile mark... in my opinion the L98 is a much more usable engine for street driving and every day use... My new LT4 though, blows them both away, it is like the best of both the LT1 and L98 + more....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom