Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I hate these C1 bumpers and center grill

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
I hate the front bumpers on my '60 vette......this is the biggest PIA there ever was......I have more than 40 hours in the darn things and they are still not done
toetap05.gif
.....I am not a happy camper!
willy_nilly.gif

I can get the outside bumpers right where I want them, but then there is the problem with the center grill bar. So, I thought I would get real tricky after pulling out what hair I had left and trim the center bar with my die grinder. I know, I shouldn't have to, but holy crap, I have enough time in this thing it should be coming together and I should be moving on. The more I touch things taped or not, the more nicks and marks I put in them....

But I trimmed it too far and now I am getting another center grill bar. My original bar I can see that someone WELDED the end tabs in place, they too must have had enough fun.

I have tried to put these darn things on as a unit as separate pieces....UGH....if you see a '60 vette at Carlisle that looks pretty good, but doesn't have the center grill in place, that is ME!

I am ordering a new grill today (maybe 2 of them) to have another go at it....
eek6.gif

anyone have a dimension of the very front of their center grill bar? Since the bar is tapered, I need the dimension on the very front corners of it.

I am hoping that might provide some insight.:hb

the one i have in the shop now is.
outside-271/8
inside 271/2
outside bolt hole c to c 31 3/8

i will be installing front grille surrounds and bumpers tomorrow. i'll let you know how it goes.

can I call you? I would like to talk to you about the original........PM me your phone number if you can....that would help a lot!!!

thanks, Herb

Herb,

Wait until you are going the fit the fan shroud or, even worse, the windshield wiper cables of these babies. Then you know what real STRESS is about!!!

:mad​

greetings,
Rob.

Herb,

Wait until you are going the fit the fan shroud or, even worse, the windshield wiper cables of these babies. Then you know what real STRESS is about!!!

:mad​

greetings,
Rob.
good news, no cables to stretch or fit! Not using the old wiper system! More good news, not using the old fan shroud! I am using a DeWitt aluminum radiator with electric fan!

Potentially more good, news, the bumpers that I had chromed straightened for my 60 might turn out to be 61/62 bumpers!;shrug If so then that could be the source of my problem! I will find out tonight, a friend is loaning his 50 bumper and bar to me for comparison!

If it isn't one thing, it is something else!

i'll be in the shop all day firstgear. will be working on the 62 most of the day. give me a call if you need to. i'll be glad to do some measuring for you. wipers on these cars are a breeze just like all the tri5's . once you know the trick :D

254 - 728 - 3510 let it ring cause i may be under this thing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom