Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: I have a '95 Coupe with a whining transmission ...

Low drag - High speed

Corvette
1995 and 1984 Red Coupes and grey 2007 GMC Sierra
... and a friend gave me a good, used 4L60E from a '97 Camaro Z28 that threw a rod. So, my question is whether or not this is a bolt-in swap once I put on the Corvette tailshaft, dipstick tube, cooling lines and possibly the shift lever. The electronic shift connector looks the same on the outside.

I bet so. But, to be sure, you need either to get a trial online subscription to Mitchell's, or AllData, both of which will tell you FOR SURE. In the meantime, you DO have FSM for your '95??? (half of the info is right there)

I usually, but don"t, have a factory service manual.

All I have is a Chilton's and a Hanes, but they are the same thing and both, essentially, worthless. Only the Helm's gets into the fine details, but I can't spring for the $100.00 + just now.

So ... since the trans needs work anyway, I'll just jerk it out and put the two side-by-side and make a decision ... replace or rebuild. If the answer is to rebuild, of course I'll spring for the FSM, but only if there's no other option. I've built plenty of automatics, but I'm the guy who needs an FSM to do it just right.

If the two cases match up just right, I'm good with the Camaro gearbox.

Chilton's and Haynes WORTHLESS???

I beg to differ. Read a page, tear, wipe, repeat as necessary, flush (and 'krinkle', between 'tear', and 'wipe', if your tender in the hindquarters). :L

All I have is a Chilton's and a Hanes, but they are the same thing and both, essentially, worthless. Only the Helm's gets into the fine details, but I can't spring for the $100.00 + just now.

So ... since the trans needs work anyway, I'll just jerk it out and put the two side-by-side and make a decision ... replace or rebuild. If the answer is to rebuild, of course I'll spring for the FSM, but only if there's no other option. I've built plenty of automatics, but I'm the guy who needs an FSM to do it just right.

If the two cases match up just right, I'm good with the Camaro gearbox.

Last edited:
It took me a moment to get it,

but it came to me in the end ... LMAOPMP!

I put the '95 on jackstands and did a close in-car inspection of the two and saw no differfences. The Camaro box even has the overhead bolt holes all tapped, threaded and ready. I cleaned it up spotless and dropped the pan. No debris of any kind inside. I thought maybe the previous owner had just serviced it before he threw a rod in the LT1, but the floor magnet had a small layer of sludge on it, so it must have been in service a while since the last fluid change.

It looks almost new and it looks like a good fit. Fingers crossed ...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom