Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I hope I'm not bothersome, but.....

M

MNHoosier

I have more questions.

Beginning in 1981, the Corvettes were offered in 2 tone combinations. However, according to the production information on this site, it lists N/A for the number of units built. Well, we all know that they buit some, but why are amounts not known?

This question relates to numbers. Where exactly do you look on a corvette engine to find the number and to what part (all or some) of the VIN does it match. I have been poking around hoping to find an illistration of exactly where to look because I am not as versed in moving around an engine as I am my DSS. :eek

I would also like to thank Robert Kirk for his offer yesterday. I may take him up on it, but I was looking to get down there Thursday night or early Friday. I'm at a quandry with regards to a particular vette because it's at a dealer and he has no documentation. I ran a carfax trying to document the mileage, but nothing came up. Any suggestions on figuring out how I can make sure the mileage is true as is advertised? I asked the dealer to have the previous owner call me, but so far he has not heard back from her.

Thanks guys and gals.

The two-tone paint #s are not avalible at least I couldn't any. as for the miles, I would look at the car and then at the miles and see if they match. A 10K vette shouldn't have worn seats, look at the carpet, i think there is site here somewhere on what to look for when you buy a vette.
I would take someone with me if I didn't know what to look for, most people who own a vette will be happy to go with you and give it the once or twice over.
tom

It's only 1200 miles away, :s and I want it NOW. Well, maybe not this second, but soon. I'm free this weekend and it appears to be a good price. Not a great deal, but I'm not looking for a great deal. I'm looking for a good car. I don't know if it being at a Vette dealer is a good thing or a bad thing. Like I said before, my biggest dillema is trying to verify the authenticity of the odometer.

Thanks.

Here is a place you may find a little more information on the L81 Corvette ;)

L81Specs

In this day and age of email and digital photography you could ask the dealer/seller to take some pictures of not only the car but the VIN tags and engine number as well. The engine number is stamped on a pad on the block in front of the passenger side cylinder head and the VIN tag will be visible on the piller through the windscreen, there is another tag inside on the door piller which will give trim and paint details. At the very least ask the dealer to write it down and fax or email it to you. There is no good reason I can think of for a genuine seller not to willingly give you this information.

A part of the engine number will match a part of the VIN tag number, although even this is not an absolute gaurantee it is correct. If there is no paperwork or maintanence records supporting the mileage treat it as unknown and pay accordingly.
Unfortunately Vettes are one of the few cars that due to their fibreglass body can with little work look great but hide a horror story underneath.

I suggest that rather than travel 1200 miles and be disappointed you get an inspection done by someone that is impartial and knows what they are looking at and have the report faxed to you and then make a decision to travel. I notice that EBAY are now offering this service. It might seem like a waste of money but if it turns out to be a bad car think of what it will save you.

IMHO a good vette is worth waiting for and paying a bit more for unless you are after something that you want to fix up as time goes by. Good Luck

J.

MNHoosier,
where is the vette located at? I'm in WI if it's close I don't mind looking at it for or with you.
tom

I recently purchased my 78 (not SA) w/ org 27,000 miles from a Vette dealer in CA, I live in OKC. It was owned by one family and had all paperwork and title history. The dealer sent me about 30 digital pics of the entire car, inside, outside, engine, documentation and even the smallest blemishes so I would not be surprised when it showed up. I thought the deal was GOOD FOR ME at under $13,000.00 and they paid for 1/2 the shipping. I had looked all around the local area including Dallas/Ft. Worth. No matter what, who, where and when you talk with people ultimately you have to feel your paying the right price for what you're getting. The Vette you're describing sounds like a pretty good deal with a relatively small amount of clean-up work to get it the way you desire. Have fun and once your mind is made up feel good about it. Good Luck!!!!:D

Sorry, FNG posted on the wrong thread!!!Blast me I'm ready!! :bash

Silver, Thanks. We are neighbors so it's not close to you. If it was, I'd just road trip it like I am going to do this weekend on another car.

Paul, seems under 13k is a pretty good price. Congrats. I'll let everybody know what happens in the next couple weeks.

MN-
Listen to JHL about being impartial ! I always look at a car for sale as being not worthy for purchase, and everything I see and check (including documents and owner) has to convince me it is worthy of purchase & price. The dealer should send you photos, etc of car. He should work a little for his $$!
Here's some links to info to print out and execute on your inspection:
http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/c3/dpg/part1.htm

http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/c3/dpg/part2.htm

http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/c3/dpg/part3.htm

Just remember, buyer beware! Don't want to see you get taken!
Best of Luck -Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom