Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I just can't do it !

jackfit

Corvette
66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle
Hi, as many of you know , I am preparing my car for a 48 state trip this summer, just driving and visiting long time car owners.

My 66 L79 Roadster ( owned for 40 years ) is in the final stage of restoration, and is being painted now.

The car was Milano Maroon, and 37 years ago, I changed it to a dark British Racing Green. It has a saddle interior, leather seats, tan cloth top.

Well, for this trip, and my 40th year of ownership, I decided to paint it back to 988 Milano Maroon. I did not want to explain why it was not original color to everyone on this trip.

Well , I got a call from my painter and he said I should come over and see if I like the color.

I have posted some pictures of the car , and after seeing it , I have decided to go back to BRG. I never liked the color (maroon) and since I have to drive the car every day and live with it for I hope many years, back it goes to my favorite color.

Just thought I would share this with you. I should have the car back in two weeks, and back goes all the parts that I took out to paint.

I have a full gallon of Spies Hecker base coat if some one wants great paint for their Milano Maroon paint job #988 trim

Look forward to seeing all of you in August.

Jack

Update today's pictures Sat 5/05

Just got back from painter. Car in booth and going green.

Will be done next weekend

Can't wait . Here are some pictures, painter has new booth and wanted to show it off.

Jack

GreenColorJune52010004.jpg

GreenColorJune52010006.jpg

GreenColorJune52010003.jpg

MarooncolorcorvetteMay31004.jpg

MarooncolorcorvetteMay31003.jpg

MarooncolorcorvetteMay31006.jpg

I love Milano maroon, but you're the guy who has to live with the color (BRG is nice, too). My '63 was silver blue, but I painted it '67 Lynnwood Blue in 1968 and never went back.

I agree... you're the one paying for it so it should be your favorite color. Not mine. :L I like the reds, particularly the dark reds, but that's just me. Looks as though it's coming along nicely, Jack.

Thanks for sharing the process and pix.
:wJane Ann

I will stop by

If it's ready stop by OOB next Sunday am and show her off.

I don't think it will be ready, but I will come to OOB. Is it SAT and Sunday or just Sunday at the Galley?

Hope the spring has gone well for you.

See you next week

Jack

I don't think it will be ready, but I will come to OOB. Is it SAT and Sunday or just Sunday at the Galley?

Hope the spring has gone well for you.

See you next week

Jack

Hi,

There will be Corvettes at the Captain's Galley on Saturday morning (until noon). That's when the "Red Hot Divas" will be making their favorite Corvette selection.

Elaine

That would really be Saturday morning when the Corvettes gather for the "Red Hot Divas" to make their favorite selection.

Elaine

But I'll be at the Captains Galley Sunday am for coffee and bonding with friends.:D

That's good, and so will many others be there. However, a lot of us take off early on Sunday. The big display is on Saturday morning.

Elaine

That's good, and so will many others be there. However, a lot of us take off early on Sunday. The big display is on Saturday morning.

Elaine
Ah hah ,I read the schedule :bash And you are very correct ,Saturday am is the time to be there .I think reading the schedule would have been prudent on my part .:ugh

Ah hah ,I read the schedule :bash And you are very correct ,Saturday am is the time to be there .I think reading the schedule would have been prudent on my part .:ugh

Not a problem at all. Come on by Saturday morning. I'm one of the Divas and will be out scouting for a favorite Corvette with my two fellow Divas! :)

Elaine

Just got back from painter

I just got back from Painter. The car has been painted with base coat. Just 2 hours old. Lighting is bad in booth , but I wanted to post today's pictures.

Sat. he will do the clear coat. I will take pictures then. I will get the car back mid-week and start to put the interior back in and bumpers, lights etc.

Should have it on the road in two weeks. See you Sat at OOB

Jack
GreenPaintCorvette001.jpg

GreenPaintCorvette002.jpg

GreenPaintCorvette008.jpg

GreenPaintCorvette004.jpg

GreenPaintCorvette010.jpg

Just got back from painter

Looks good! I can't wait to see pix of it after the clear coat. :thumb

Just got back from painter. These are photos of car with clear coat. Those are not distortions in paint but reflections of ceiling and side walls of paint booth. Car comes home on Wednesday

Jack

GreenPaintCorvetteclearcoat011.jpg

GreenPaintCorvetteclearcoat007.jpg

GreenPaintCorvetteclearcoat009.jpg

The color looks great. :w Be careful putting everything back on.

Brings Back Memories

Jack....the green is a great choice. My first Corvette was a 1965 Glen Green L78 roadster.
Remo:cool

I know

The color looks great. :w Be careful putting everything back on.

It was easy taking it apart. Putting in the vent windows, side windows, bumpers , grill, headlights, tail lights , tire carrier,

My head is starting to spin. But , after about two weeks all I will have to do is just drive it. All the mechanical stuff is done and it will be ready to hit the road.

You can't worry about rocks and rain, since I have done this three times in the last 40 years. I drive it till it drops and start over.

Aug 2 can't come fast enough. Fill up the tank, pack the tent and laptop, turn on the gps, and off we go

Bumpers are the most difficult to line up and not scratch the paint. I am using the rubber cushions between bumper and body , not original but, saves the paint.

Thanks for the comment

Jack

Re: I just can't do it ! I did do it!

Looks good! I can't wait to see pix of it after the clear coat. :thumb

Hi to all who have show an interest in my paint job. Well I picked the car up today.. 5 pm. Put on trailer and followed it home.

Here is what it looks like without any make up. Happy fella in last picture going into garage. Has not been this good looking in 30 years

Thanks all for your help. Oh by the way, since I was the guy who used sandpaper to polish my bumper, what do you suggest for polishing the trim, hubcap bases , windshield trim etc.

Thought I would ask first this time

Jack

GreenPaintCorvetteclearcoathomec-2.jpg

GreenPaintCorvetteclearcoathomec-1.jpg

GreenPaintCorvetteclearcoathomec-3.jpg

GreenPaintCorvetteclearcoathomec-4.jpg

GreenPaintCorvetteclearcoathomec-5.jpg

GreenPaintCorvetteclearcoathomecomi.jpg

Jim
I would suggest someone that buffs trim pieces professionally, I had my windshield trim done by a local guy and it still looks great 5-6 years later. In my way of thinking it was money well spent.
Your car looks great and I can see the smile on your face as you are pulling it into the garage (even though all we can see is the back of your head). Love GREEN!!

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom