Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I just got back from the Dyno and Track. I am ****ed.

69myway= Where is Orange Park? I will be heading to Melbourne in late Oct.

True Duals=The guy across from the air station is Brian. He is the one who put the engine together for me. He does not have a Dyno. Wayne does, he can only do air/fuel. Right now it is set at 44 for the pressure and I have a steady 13.0-13.5 all the way across.

Vettelt193=I have a Hypertech PPIII. Can I use that with the computer from Ed Wright to change the rpm settings? I can get the resonator removed and have a Flowmaster cat back made from a a local guy. Would that help?

I just dumped about $5000 into the engine. I was really expecting something closer to 12.2-12.5.

My $.02

the 58mm TB is Overkill.. use the 52mm.

The 30# injectors should be fine, this is assuming the PCM has been programmed for it.

You need to get a OBDII scanner for it and hook it up. If the PCM tune is off the BLMS will be either way rich or lean (I am betting the BLMs are rich)

Also what was the temp/barometer reading for that day at the track? this makes a difference in the #'s

my L98 miniram motor is at 301 RWHP and I was running 12.8@110 with a 2.0 60'. granted I have a 6spd and 3.45 gears, but I also had the L98 restrictive MAF ECM too.

I would honestly do the Scanning and datalog it, save it and send the data along with the PCM for Ed Wright to retune it. Maybe depending on the funds get a52mm TB first before doing the datalogging.

UB2SLOW........Brian has done all of my work as well. My best time has been 12:79 in the 1/4. Wayne and his Dyno has broken my hart 293/305 torque on the first run and 291.5/302.3 torque on the second run

Interesting dicussion. Ive been going Thru some of the tuning with mine as of late. I have a high idle problem and I cant find reason. No vac leaks. I have a 383, AFR190 fully ported heads, TPIS , plentum big tube runners and BIg mouth manifold, 58mm TB, 24lb Accel injectors. CompCams Hydaulic cam, 268/274 ..224 int/230exh. .488/.495 lift on 112. roller rockers. Tpis Coated headers. It runs very strong. I'm at about 42psi fuel. The idle thing is driving me nuts . I set the initial timing @ 6btdc and the idle goes to about 1100 rpm. Then when I Plug in the est, after resetting it, and it goes to 1800rpm . Tpis burn the chip . Its thier stage 5. I sent it back with theiradvice to redo some things . Havent got it back as of yet. Any Idea's? I have no codes and the scans come back good and with in all perimeters. Ive adjusted the TB all over the place and its not sticking and the IAC is funtioning properly. :confused And I even put the stock chip back in, same thing.

I dont know about your Idle problem. Mine was low. I would have recommended adjusting theTB. Or the IAC. You got me.

UB2 SLOW said:

We are just south west of Jacksonville, which is North East Florida.

Melbourne is approx 2 hours south of me by traveling South I-95 to the I-4 area.

Let me know if you plan on doing the dyno while you are down.

UB2 SLOW said:
I dont know about your Idle problem. Mine was low. I would have recommended adjusting theTB. Or the IAC. You got me.

you need to set minimum air through the blades of the Throttle Body

Jeff, Thats right, knew I was forgeting something. I had to open mine up to raise the flow. On my throttle boyd I had to turn the screw towards the Passenger side of the car.

69myway, I was stationed in Kings Bay GA for 3 years. I used to go to Jacksonville all the time. Me and my Father in law go to Ecklers every year. He has a 88 Vert. VERY NICE. It was in Corvette Fever. When we come through I will try to look you up.

J'ville ? another jar head huh? I was stationed at New River a few times. Ah, those were the days....Semper Fi Marine!!!!

Once a Marine always a Marine. OOOHHHHRRRAAAHHHH. Now that the formalities are out of the way. What are you up to since you left? Swamp Lejeune never changes.

I've adjusted the throttle blades from all the way shut to partly open and to the setting that TPIS had suggested. still too high. Its time to look deeper. There has got to be air coming in somewhere.......Thanks guys

Sorry we couldnt help. I really cant think of anything else, unless you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Is the throttle body stock?

No problem, you never know what you may learn......When ya start adding horspower you add new challenges:D......The TB is a TPIS 58mm.......

UB2 SLOW said:

Vettelt193=I have a Hypertech PPIII. Can I use that with the computer from Ed Wright to change the rpm settings? I can get the resonator removed and have a Flowmaster cat back made from a a local guy. Would that help?

I just dumped about $5000 into the engine. I was really expecting something closer to 12.2-12.5.

I would ask ed wright if you can use it to bump up the shift points... I am not sure, and you don't want to lose his programming...

Once you get things worked out, mid 12's can be obtained, I would bet on a 12.8 very soon with minor tuning. Get a new exhaust, but make sure the tubing is large enough... if a local guy is making it, it probably won't be mandrel bent, so you need to use a size bigger to make up for the bends

UB2SLOW, what are you doing in Melbourne in October? Are you planning on bringing the 'vette when you come down?

Gee, I have a used, unneeded pair of Flowmasters in my garage!

What does TPIS day your idle speed is ECM controlled to? Should do fine at about 900.

My 406 is similar and idled above 1600, due to the ECM desperately trying to figure out what was up. The idle mixture was so rich that a lower idle was impossible until my car was 'chipped', in person, and loads of fuel were taken out.

The car pulls strongly to redline w/ 52mm throttle body.

:w

1984 Z-51 Corvette (white/carmine) 406 cid four bolt, forged crank; 11:1 with aluminum Dart Pro-1 heads
FMS injectors- 30pph @45 psi; BBK 52mm Lingenfelter Superram plenum, runners & base
Comp hydr. roller- 230 intake; 236 exh @.050 (Grind CS XR282HR-10)
TPIS long tubes feed 3" system through new, stock '84 Vette cat to Flowmasters

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom