Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I know it is a 1979 but...

DCShark

It looks like I'm in for a total rebuild on my L48. It is the original engine and the lifters are worn out and the value guides are worn as well. The most cost effective way is to rebuild the whole engine. But in doing so I imagine the block will have to deck to square everything off, resulting in the numbers to be wiped off. It's just nice to have the original numbered engine. I'm not going to restore it to NCRS standards and I'm sure it'll never be worth the dollars the C2 will bring but this will probably effect the resell value and appraised value. Correct?

I will ask the rebuilder to let me know if the block is going to be deck. So, should I worry about this. Or just look forward to a nice running engine. I will be rebuilding it back to stock. I just enjoy going for a Sunday cruise with the kids. Anything I should ask the rebuilder before I hand over the keys. He has rebuilt my Transports 3400 and did a great job.

Here's my previous post about only rebuilding only the top end
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=530281#post530281

Consider the price of a crate motor v. rebuilding. I don't have the info with me but you can get a GMPP crate motor with stock hp for about $1,400. I think it is complete but you may have to swap the intake, distributor and a couple of other minor parts. Comes with a 3 year warranty.

If I ever have to replace mine, I'm looking at a 290 hp crate motor that you definitely have to add these parts for about $1,700.

Bob Chadwick said:
Consider the price of a crate motor v. rebuilding. I don't have the info with me but you can get a GMPP crate motor with stock hp for about $1,400. I think it is complete but you may have to swap the intake, distributor and a couple of other minor parts. Comes with a 3 year warranty.

If I ever have to replace mine, I'm looking at a 290 hp crate motor that you definitely have to add these parts for about $1,700.

I'd go with the crate motor as well, even if they don't have to deck the block.
I'd spend the $$$ on the crate motor now, hang on to the original motor, and have that rebuilt whenever it's feasible. Just my two cents worth.

-John

The crate motors rock, I drive my car to much to try to keep numbers matching. I put in the ZZ383 from the GM catalog, I don't think you could build this motor yourself for the catalog price.

Kenny and I rebuilt our engine for the 78 last year. Twice. :eek:

We only did the top end first, had continued problems and yanked it all out and rebuilt it completely. If we had to do it over again...? GM Crate engine, all the way!
Heidi

...if you LIKE rebuilding your own...go for it. We enjoyed the process and I learned quite a lot, but in retrospect, we'd rather have a warrantied engine ready to drop in and not spend so much time in the garage...even though we spent it in the company of good friends!
h.

Decking a block for a standard rebuild is hardly ever absolutely necessary, but most rebuilders do it anyway as a matter of course to create a fresh, dead-flat surface to ensure a good seal with the production-type steel shim head gaskets (which are designed for freshly-machined surfaces). Unless there's more than .003" variation from flat across the corners, Fel-Pro composition head gaskets (more expensive than steel shim gaskets) will seal it just fine.
:beer

I will look into the crate motors, the LM1 and 290 hp versions, seem like a great deal. However, I would like to have the original motor rebuilt.

johnz, I will mention the felpro gaskets to my rebuilder.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom