Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I May Be Getting Scammed

Nut

Corvette
Vette-less for now
I need some good old CAC help from the LT4 experts. My son is looking at (what is being billed as) a 96 CE coupe. So I pulled out my Corvette Black Book (CBB) and I already have a couple issues.

1. The car is an automatic. - according to the CBB, the CE's were ONLY 6-spd tranny's. Question? Could a regular 96 be ordered with the LT4 option engine and...... an automatic?

2. Does the CE edition have any other badges interior or exterior that should be plainly visible but not easily faked? The seats definitely had the stitched lettering but anyone could have bought those from Al KnocK and replaced them.

3. Anything else we should look for?

No money has exchanged hands, but my "Spider Senses" are up. Some things seem amiss. Does everyone agree?

Thanks folks.........

........ nut

...1. The car is an automatic. - according to the CBB, the CE's were ONLY 6-spd tranny's. Question? Could a regular 96 be ordered with the LT4 option engine and...... an automatic?

Sounds like you are right to worry...

That car is not an LT4.

Thanks Dark. I agree. I've talked to a couple folks including Elaine (GS Diva) and she's pretty much convinced me it's likely a nice CE, but definitely not a LT4 engine. Either way I'm a little bummed about the seller, and I'm going to take another look tomorrow just to be sure my (over eager) son didn't read into the window sticker incorrectly.

nut

Yep, your'e right...should be a manual tranny.

There is a kit sold to convert the LT1 to Lt4 by GM performance parts; its all the parts that are different in the LT4 from the LT1; one of these days I'm going to put it in my Wifes Impala SS ;)

How about the VIN? 8th digit is 5 for the LT4, P for the LT1

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c4/1996/96specs.html

From what I know the 96 CE came 2 ways. LT1 w/4speed auto or LT4 w/6 speed manual. I believe the chart indicates that as well.

From what I read on it, perhaps you need to re-examine that chart.

Standard only with Grand Sport, standard with LT4, NA with LT1 engine Standard with Coupe, Convertible & Collector Edition, standard with LT1 engine, NA with LT4 engine
4-Speed 4L6-E Electronic Automatic

There is a kit sold to convert the LT1 to Lt4 by GM performance parts; its all the parts that are different in the LT4 from the LT1; one of these days I'm going to put it in my Wifes Impala SS ;)

The conversion kit does not include the red spark plug wires, LT4s have 'em.

Check the RPO numbers on the sticker in compartment behind the passenger seat. CE is Z15. CE should have CE emblems, Sebring Silver paint (code 13) and silver painted ZR1 style wheels. As mentioned, LT4s were not mated to AT from factory.

From what I read on it, perhaps you need to re-examine that chart.

Standard only with Grand Sport, standard with LT4, NA with LT1 engine Standard with Coupe, Convertible & Collector Edition, standard with LT1 engine, NA with LT4 engine
4-Speed 4L6-E Electronic Automatic

The 1996 Collector Edition most definitely came with both LT1 automatic or an LT4 6-speed which was an option.

Elaine

How about the VIN? 8th digit is 5 for the LT4, P for the LT1

It's a "P". I'm satisfied it is a nice 96CE. Now I just have to get the seller down another $1K an d I think we have a deal.

Thanks to all with your excellent comments and support.

regards........ nut :D

You know there are about 100 of the 20 original 67 L88's surviving so its not to far out of line to assume cloning of the more desirable C4's for profit.
The prices of the Big Block C3's are on the rise, soon there will be more of them then GM produced. ;LOL

The CE's (RPO Z15) included the five spoke ZR1 type wheels (silver), black brake calipers with "Corvette" lettering Sebring Silver and special emblems and sport seats. Like has been said above, it was available with the LT1 w/auto or LT4 w/6spd. Check out the RPO codes. They should all show Z15 (Collector Edition), LT1 MX0 M30 (LT1 w/Auto)or LT4 MN6 ( LT4 w/6spd), AG1 (power driver seat) AG3 (power pass seat) AQ9 (sport seats).

The first Corvette I looked at when I started my search was a CE with red interior and LT1 with auto (over-priced piece of junk). Good luck with working the guy down and acquiring the CE.

Thanks Tom.... I think if the guy wants to make a (dead winter) sale he'll come down another $500 bones. I took another look at the car this morning without junior walking around foaming at the mouth. I've done a fair amount of concours judging, mostly C3's but some C4's too from the Corvette Club I belong to and she seems very clean. The carfax report was clean in all categories and a lengthy look today showed no nose or tail damage. Rims are not nicked, albeit a bit dirty on the inner sides. All in all I think we'll have a purchase next week.

Also, in a previous post we had thought this car was being advertised as a LT4. It is NOT. Dealer window sticker says CE only. Once again I think Jr. got a little to wound up and made an assumption. Not a LT4 car.

Once again, my thanks to all that responded.

Bob (nut)

That is what the chart says. Right?

It does appear to say that. However, it isn't correct. What can I say!:confused

Elaine

It does appear to say that. However, it isn't correct. What can I say!:confused

Elaine

You and I are saying the same thing.

The chart says a LT1/auto and LT4/6speed were available, but not a LT4/auto.

I have a 96 CE LT4 I ordered new. GM felt the 700R4 transmission would not support 330 flywheel horsepower. Actually, all LT4s were pushing much more HP than that. You can do a search here and find out all kinds of cool things about the LT4.

There is ONE LT4 Vette that was built with an automatic transmission. It was built like that for a Bowling Green employee. I believe the original owner still has the Vette. I read a story about it some time ago.

SAVE THE :w

Thanks lt4man. My son will be more than happy with the LT1. Picks up the car tomorrow morning. He can barely contain himself. And to make it even better it's supposed to be 70 degrees (in mid-January) on the east coast and I'm sure the top will be out too.

......... Nut :D

:upthumbs
We'll need photos of course, and be sure to give him a link to the CAC so he can join the ranks of Corvette brethren.

Tammy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom