Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I need advice in purchasing a C-5

Also, when you finaly do go to look at a car, you might want to check the onboard diagnostics to see if any error codes are set in the car.

The "diagnostic display" mode is entered with the following procedure: 1) turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. 2) press the "reset" button to turn off any warning messages 2) press and hold "options" and 4) while holding "options", press "fuel" four times within a 10-second period.

If there are any errors they will display a code (four digit number followed by either H or C...H= history = problem happened in the past but is not currently a problem C = Current = thats a problem now) which you can look up in a bunch of places on the net (including here) and in the car's owners manual if present.

One of the worst things about a C5 is that it has eleven computers in it that have to talk to each other, but then again, one of the best things about the C5 is that they pretty much do it so well ;-) and they make driving one almost effortless. (I mean if you can't drive a C5 fast, you should probably think about not driving fast at all :) ).

I love my car. The only thing I would like that I didnt get is the Selective Ride Control, and the fact that I bought it with 43k miles. If I had it to do over again, I'd wait till I found one with less miles (I just can't stop driving it :) )

Good Luck, and stop back and let us know what you get when you get it.
Based on everyone's unput, I have a lot of research and shopping to do. All of you have given me some real "heads up" as far as what to look for. I think it will take some time to find the right one, but it's an important decision to make and surely worth the time (and money) to do it correctly.

Other than car-fax you may take a few other precautions and if repairs were done by a shop they might not show up in the reports.

Take the car off the dealer lot in the evening and take a look at the paint match under the orange lights that are common in shopping centers. Dealer lighting often hides defects that may stand out under different lighting.

A good and experienced eye can often spot the subtle differences in what appears to be good (undetectable) repair work. Small differences in the type of seam sealer used and some of the hardware ... like screw types will stand out to a good mech.

It's worth the $50 to $100 to have it looked over.
My eyes are neither good or experienced, so I will heed your advice. I have run the Carfax on some inexpensive C5's and body work have been done and I never did see anything wrong. I probably will buy with a vette under 25k miles. Thanks

Bob,
Everyone's advice has been excellent. There's little I can say in addition. Regarding, CarFax, though, I would recommend that you not let CarFax be the sole background check you make on a vehicle. CarFax is only going to be able to report the "big" issues which might be reported to an insurance carrier against the car's VIN, or something that a state Dept. of Motor Vehicles might file about the VIN. But smaller issues may fly under CarFax's radar.

My only significant contribution to your quest, then, is two things. First, see if there are any Corvette Clubs or Associations in your area. They often have websites from which you can email them, or phone numbers to contact them. Find one that seems fairly active, and enquire of the members if they have a recommendation for Corvette knowledgeable mechanics or service departments at local dealerships- very often, the experiences of members in this area is worth more than it's weight in gold to a potential Corvette buyer.

Second, when you have a recommendation on a Dealership in your area from folks experienced with Corvette ownership, start your search for a vehicle in ernest. When you find a few likely candidates, definately obtain a CarFax report on them, but also take their VIN's to that dealership and ask the service manager (you will likely have gotten the name of a service manager Corvette owners in your area like and trust) to pull the service history on the vehicle. The information they have may help to give you a more well-rounded picture of the history of the C5 you're looking at.

Good luck. Please keep us appraised on the success of your search. And when you find that C5 you really like and buy it, make sure you post oodles of pics in one of Remo's limitless "Show Off Those (insert color) C5's" threads.

:w
-Patrick

Bob,
Everyone's advice has been excellent. There's little I can say in addition. Regarding, CarFax, though, I would recommend that you not let CarFax be the sole background check you make on a vehicle. CarFax is only going to be able to report the "big" issues which might be reported to an insurance carrier against the car's VIN, or something that a state Dept. of Motor Vehicles might file about the VIN. But smaller issues may fly under CarFax's radar.

My only significant contribution to your quest, then, is two things. First, see if there are any Corvette Clubs or Associations in your area. They often have websites from which you can email them, or phone numbers to contact them. Find one that seems fairly active, and enquire of the members if they have a recommendation for Corvette knowledgeable mechanics or service departments at local dealerships- very often, the experiences of members in this area is worth more than it's weight in gold to a potential Corvette buyer.

Second, when you have a recommendation on a Dealership in your area from folks experienced with Corvette ownership, start your search for a vehicle in ernest. When you find a few likely candidates, definately obtain a CarFax report on them, but also take their VIN's to that dealership and ask the service manager (you will likely have gotten the name of a service manager Corvette owners in your area like and trust) to pull the service history on the vehicle. The information they have may help to give you a more well-rounded picture of the history of the C5 you're looking at.

Good luck. Please keep us appraised on the success of your search. And when you find that C5 you really like and buy it, make sure you post oodles of pics in one of Remo's limitless "Show Off Those (insert color) C5's" threads.

:w
-Patrick
Thank-you Patrick. There is a good Corvette Club in the area. I almost joined them prior to me selling the 93. I don't there is anyone in the area that is really a great Corvette dealership, but I will contact the association in Myrtle Beach to ask for assistance. I really don't want to start another thread, but I did ask in a previous replay if anyone had ever heard of Roger's Corvette's in the Orlando area. Their cars looks really great. I have not received a reply as of this moment. Thanks so much for your help-Happy New Year!

Thank-you Patrick. There is a good Corvette Club in the area. I almost joined them prior to me selling the 93. I don't there is anyone in the area that is really a great Corvette dealership, but I will contact the association in Myrtle Beach to ask for assistance. I really don't want to start another thread, but I did ask in a previous replay if anyone had ever heard of Roger's Corvette's in the Orlando area. Their cars looks really great. I have not received a reply as of this moment. Thanks so much for your help-Happy New Year!
Bob, I've been to Roger's Corvette, and all I can say is that he has some of the cleanest Corvettes that I've seen! The vast majority of them are low mileage beauties, and if that's what you're looking for, then maybe a trip down there would be worth it. Every car that I saw looked MUCH better in person than it did on the website. They will even arrange for transport if you don't want to drive it home. Nice people!
Andy Anderson

I would avoid local Corvette clubs; mainly because many times the mentality is to suggest "get what I have... because it's the best". :(

On the C5, here are some additional things (added along with the great advice that has already been given):

in 2001, many things happened to the C5; though none of them were cosmetic:

* Active Handling became standard equipment. From 1998 through 2000, AH was an option. If AH is important to you, then buying a 2001 or newer guarentees your C5 will have the feature. Before 2001, it takes a little extra effort to determine if AH was an included option or not.

*Also starting in 2001, the AH and Traction Control software was given a major rewrite. Mainly to make it less intrusive.

* Starting mid year 2001, the LS1 was given the LS6 intake manifold , larger MAF sensor; the LS6 block, and the Z06 beefier torque tube.

Depending on the desired useage of a C5 you'd purchase... none of this may matter any.

I have a 2001, knew about the AH changes (one of the reasons I went for my car over a lower milage spotless 98), but didnt know about the other changes you mentioned.
Usualy when I look for 2001 specific articles it's all about the Z06 stuff which was new for that year....thx

Hey guys, just moved up in classes from C-2. I purchased my 2004 this
summer after having owned several c-2's. I have been stuck in the mid
60's, however, one drive in a C-5, I was hooked. Boy what an awsome machine. However, I may move to a C-6 this summer. Good luck with
the search.

I would avoid local Corvette clubs; mainly because many times the mentality is to suggest "get what I have... because it's the best". :(

On the C5, here are some additional things (added along with the great advice that has already been given):

in 2001, many things happened to the C5; though none of them were cosmetic:

* Active Handling became standard equipment. From 1998 through 2000, AH was an option. If AH is important to you, then buying a 2001 or newer guarentees your C5 will have the feature. Before 2001, it takes a little extra effort to determine if AH was an included option or not.

*Also starting in 2001, the AH and Traction Control software was given a major rewrite. Mainly to make it less intrusive.

* Starting mid year 2001, the LS1 was given the LS6 intake manifold , larger MAF sensor; the LS6 block, and the Z06 beefier torque tube.

Depending on the desired useage of a C5 you'd purchase... none of this may matter any.
Hi Mike and thanks. Your information is extremely important to me. I really need to know the difference between the years since the body is the same. I know there are many options which I really don't care about, like heads up display (I think), but things like the AH are important. That kind of information can mean the difference between a 1997 and a 2001. I am looking at a beautifuly 1997 with under 20k miles, but I prefer the newer wheels, but again is that worth the additional price for a newer vette? Many decisions to make.

Hey, a 1997 can look extremely sharp with newer thin spoke wheels; but AH wasn't introduced until mid 1998 model year (and it was optional until it became standard in 2001)

For those with 2001 C5's wanting to know if their LS1 has the LS6 intake manifold or not; the number on the manifold will be 12561184 if it's the Z06 model; and 12560688 if it's the non Z06 manifold.

Hi Mike and thanks. Your information is extremely important to me. I really need to know the difference between the years since the body is the same. I know there are many options which I really don't care about, like heads up display (I think), but things like the AH are important. That kind of information can mean the difference between a 1997 and a 2001. I am looking at a beautifuly 1997 with under 20k miles, but I prefer the newer wheels, but again is that worth the additional price for a newer vette? Many decisions to make.
Bob, I wasn't looking for HUD either, but since the car I bought has it, I'm hooked on it. Once you get used to it, it really feels right! You don't have to take your eyes off the road to get quick info and if anything goes wrong, CHECK GAUGES flashes on the HUD. You owe it to yourself to at least sit in a HUD equipped Vette, and if at all possible.......drive one. You might just find that you like it. There was a 2 issue article in Corvette Enthusiast magazine (Dec 06 and Jan 07) about retrofitting HUD to an earlier (97-98) Vette, and by the looks of it.......you DON"T want to be doing that! It doesn't look that bad, but you have to cut your dash and THAT would scare me away pretty quick. Anyway, give it lots of thought................
Andy Anderson

Thanks Andy-My wife thinks it would drive her nuts, but she won't drive it much anyway.

I intentionally ordered my 2002 without the HUD (and without the sport seats).

but late this summer I ran into a group purchsed for a HUD upgrade kit. $300 got me a new projector, new wiring harness, new switch/control assembly. I couldn't turn away from that price. It was a nice upgrade to my Corvette; though I still can't say it's a must-have option.

Thanks Andy-My wife thinks it would drive her nuts, but she won't drive it much anyway.
Bob, she's partly correct. It didn't drive me nutz (I am already there!:crazy ), but it DID take some getting used to. I had to mess with the controls to get it to the "right" spot for me and then just had to keep it there till I got used to it. There's a feature built into the unit that senses the light outside and adjusts the HUD brightness accordingly. It's supposed to brighten the display during bright light conditions and dim the display during low light conditions. I have to get used the thing everytime that I get to Florida to drive it. I guess that it's like bi-focals.....when you first get them everything seems crazy but after a week, you can't do without them.
Andy
Save The Wave!:w

I dont know, I'm pretty hooked on the HUD. I keep looking for it when I drive other vehicles.
I find that it helps me keep my speed down. I mean it's right there, you look down, see that little "90".....sigh......and think....oh yeah.....lemme slow down a bit.
Keeps me outta trouble ;-)

I dont know, I'm pretty hooked on the HUD. I keep looking for it when I drive other vehicles.
I find that it helps me keep my speed down. I mean it's right there, you look down, see that little "90".....sigh......and think....oh yeah.....lemme slow down a bit.
Keeps me outta trouble ;-)
Yeah Jistari, you are right, it IS an added benny! I seem to be more aware of how fast I'm going as well. I also like to see the turn signals flashing on it. Makes me remember to shut them off so I dont look like an a$$ going down the road with my left signal on for miles. All in all, I think it's a very worthwhile option to look for in a C5.
Andy Anderson

Nah, you probably dont keep the signal on half as long as you think. It rings a chime if left on for longer than 1/4 mile (had no idea what the heck was going on the first time I heard that :) ). Guess the GM engeneers couldnt have anyone cool enough to be driving a vette look bad in front of the other motorists, so they built in a foolproof (er...idiot proof) system.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom