Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I need some artistic advice

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
So as some of you might know I am working on a new project.And I need some advice on it.

I plan on painting the car millenium yellow
I plan on having a black interiour and black harts convertable top
the plans were to smooth the fire wall and also paint the entire engine bay and bottom of the car yellow.

The car was set up to ride real LOW in the front and just a slightley higher rake to the rear.So the frame will not be so visable

The motor and trans were going to be body color

The hubs of the rotor and the calipers are going to be painted red

I have red uruthane bushings

all of my suspention a arms,half shafts drive shaft,dog bones,are being polished to almost a chrome like finish (Thanks John MaGraw)

The rear center section will be painted a silver paint (sorry john its just too much to do)

I plan on using a polished radiator,air compressor,alternator,steering colum,power steering pump,oil pan,valve covers,water pump,a march performance serpintine belt set up with polished brakets and pulleys.

Chrome hood latches and hinges and hood prop.

And I wanted to paint the frame body color also.

So my question is Picture this car in your head for a moment if you would.And let me know if you think I should paint the frame a gloss black? a silver? red? with the thoughts the frame would stand out more if it was a different color.

Some one suggested to paint the engine bay and the bottom of the car black and keep the frame body color.

Another person suggested to change the entire paint scheme to a metalic red like on the aniversary corvette,

As always your advice is needed and apreceated

My major concern is that if the frame is red with a yellow car it will look ricer like

Speaking of ricers

I had also planned the interiour to have a real soft supple bleak leather in it Nothing too fancy just lots of soft black leather,and again some one had said I should have yellow seating surfaces in the seats and a yellow splash some wher in the door panels and the fiberglass sections of the dash board and intrument cluster should also be body color .

HELP

Larry

Larry,

I think IMHO, that that will be too much yellow in the engine bay with the motor also yellow also, how about all black motor then a yellow frame.

Tom

Larry,

Obviously, I am a fan of the monochromatic look. I have been a fan of this look long before it became standard look for street rods. I only use a contrasting part where I want to draw attention to a part. With too much contrast, your eye will be constantly drawn from part to part without ever appreciating the few little items that you want people to notice. On the SRIII chassis you also have the issue of the frame being visible under the car. Due to the very deep triangulation of the side rails, the frame sticks down much lower than the original frame. You have to ask yourself whether you would rather see a black frame hanging from under your rocker panels or a color that matches your body. I have seen tham done both ways, and they both look good, but my personal preference is the single color look. Everybody has different taste, and it is up to you to decide what look you want.

I can't belive you whimped out on polishing the center section! LOL
Actually, I can understand why you didn't. This is an incredible amount of work and you have to really be anal retentive to stick with it until it is complete.
The bad thing is that it does not even look as good as the rest of the suspension since it is cast and the rest of the parts are forged. Even when ploished to a high shine, is is a lot more grey in color. In the future, I think that I will chrome plate the suspension parts. It is a lot more money, but the look is great and the maintenance is minimal. I bought a midyear yesterday and it is a real POS, but it may be the beginnings of a new hybrid project.
I really need to take inventory of it, and assure myself that it is not restoration worthy, but my gut instinct tells me that this is not an option.

Regards, John McGraw

just my $.02 but i'd avoid the option you listed of painting the frame frame red - just wouldn't look right against the yellow motor block and body. Too many colors will get too confusing. same problem if you went to gray or any other color.

I think the GLOSSY black frame would look best especially when viewing in the engine compartment. You would have a yellow all in the engine compartment along with all the polished and chrome pieces and the glossy black frame would be good to add some contrast for the eye and break up the areas a bit - it will be hard for the eye to break up areas only between the yellow and shiney parts but the black will help. No doubts about it, with John's monotone scheme his car looks great, but each color works differently in the brain. If you were doing a red car like his I may suggest going all red also, but IMO with the Yellow I would go with a contrasting glossy black frame.

may i ask if red is nowhere else on the car why you choose that for the huds and calipers? why not go with the same body color or the same contrasting glossy black to match the color scheme?

For interiors simple black leather is always my favorite. If you get too wild than it does begin to look like a rice burner car set-up for the interior although a splash of color discretely placed CAN look very good just to lighten up the interior or to highlight an accent piece. perhaps as you suggest a section in the door panels of a yellow of the same body color along with the rest of the panel the black leather. Maybe a good place on the door panels for the yellow is that section above the door latch knod that widens out as it goes towards the back of the door. Make that section yellow but leave the rest of the door black. i'd leave the seats themselves all black since the waterfall between them will have some bodycolor yelow to break up the look.
Leave the carpet all black but then have the upholshery shop at the same time make you some custome floor mats to go over the black carpet. These mats could also be black but with the edges trimmed in the yellow color. that way the amount of yellow on the interior isn't too overwhelming but it does add a few nice custom touches.
I would leave the dash black but whether or not to go with a black or body colors cluster i'm undecided about.

Larry

you went strangly quiet on this thread all of a sudden.
tell us, did you make any decisions yet on your color scheme selection?

BarryK said:
Larry

you went strangly quiet on this thread all of a sudden.
tell us, did you make any decisions yet on your color scheme selection?
No nothing written in stone yet on the way I will have it painted, I am just thinking things out and waiting to hear some more thoughts on it.I just want it to look correct.

cool, i was just curious.
well, if nothing else i bumped the thread back up for you
:)

John Mcgraw said:
Larry,

I bought a midyear yesterday and it is a real POS,but it may be the beginnings of a new hybrid project.
I really need to take inventory of it, and assure myself that it is not restoration worthy, but my gut instinct tells me that this is not an option.

Regards, John McGraw
John best of luck and fill us in on the details. You know the rules

SHOW US A PICTURE

painting underhood and undercab the body color is a dodge thing.....mike

Heres an idea...
Yellow main.
Black frame.
Black interior...maybe with yellow piping on the interior seats?
Also, I've seen some black carbon fiber overlays for dashs...that might help the look.
(I'm planning on doing that to my 77 sometime).
Chrome, or polished engine, with yellow highlights.

Are you painting the coves a different color? Have you considered it?
Although, I don't know what a yellow C1 w/ black coves would look like.
Anyone got photoshop to try?

Cool project! Now that 67 is (damn near) complete, I'll follow YOUR progress!

Hey 67 and John, what kinda Dodges are those that you guys have there? 67 is that the underbody for that truck you have in the background....too funny indeed.
I know I wish some guys would think before they type....I can think of one guy I wish had.
John, so now we need updates on your project. I happen to like red

Larry,

It sounds like you are getting a lot of good advice from some of the other guys here. Some other things to consider on the frame color: Do you plan on driving it often? Road grime will really show on a yellow frame. Ditto for any kind of fluid leak (engine, tranny, antifreeze etc...not that I think you'll have any!). You may end up spending more time cleaning the frame than the rest of the car. These are issues I have thought over as I plan mine out. I think I have decided on a black frame regardless of the exterior color I choose for the above reasons.

I also agree that a subtle dash of color somewhere on the door panel might look nice, but your original idea of soft, plush black leather is the way to go. The glove box will carry your exterior color inside and not be overbearing. Some yellow trim on your custom floor mats will balance out the effect.

Hey, that was my 2 cents and now I'm broke.

Wes

I was at the Eureka Springs Corvette show today (841 corvettes), and saw some that you may be interested in.

The yellow w/ the white coves looks nice.
The yellow w/ the black coves doesn't.
I really like what they did w/ the dash.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom