Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I need some artistic advice

Here's my $.02 worth. Paint the body yellow inside and out, top and bottom. Black interior with a black dash. I don't like that yellow dash with a black pad.

Since you are going with polished aluminum and cast aluminum colors on your suspension and drive components paint the frame a titanium grey. Paint all steel items that will attach to the chassis that will not be plated the same titanium. Paint all the cast iron parts with cast iron grey and alll of the aluminum parts you are not polishing with the same stuff you used on the diff. This will make everything on the chassis various shades of metal colors that will compliment each other. Don't use anything on the chassis that is not a metal color, polished or plated. Think about it for awhile. Not only will it be very high tech looking but you won't see another at every show.

Here's my block in cast grey. Sorry about the orange pan. It's powder coated and I just couldn't bring myself to sanding it.

Also keep in mind that is is very difficult keeping a yellow or very light colored engine and chassis looking fresh after a few highway miles. Look at the above engine picture of the yellow car for all of the dark and dirty areas that are creeping in on that engine. The bottom picture of the yellow '61 with the black cove and yellow rally wheels looks pretty cool (except for the Ford hood scoop).

Tom
attachment.php

Thanks again

We are getting some where now,For sure I am going to paint the frame Some type of a silver/platnum. along with the rear end center section.

Definatly paint engine bay, bottom of car. and top of car yellow.

Still not sure of the engine color,or the trans color.But I should just paint them the same silver platnum color.

As for the interiour I was going to go with all black for the toes kicks and the dash pod and the center area the radio and heat mounts to.But after seeing the photo above I have decided to go yellow there.I think I would have to have the grab bar yellow to balance out the 2 sides.

I have found some nice door pulls (arm rest and door pull with power window switches built in) On one of our members hot rod That I have to order.Once I get them I will make a drawing of the door panels to see where I can add some yellow to them

Lastley in the photo of the interiour above there is a plastic/fiberglass peice coming from the center divider (where the radio and heater controls mount) across and under the grab bar .What is it and should my car have one

Thanks again guys It may be silly but your suggestions have been exstremely helpfull and needed. All thought I am just getting off the ground on this project.It is very frustrating for me not to have the Design /colors pinned down 100% and I have spent a great deal of energy thinking about it.

I have mentioned it before that I work with a big 3 ring binder.and in this binder are all the stages of the car build in there order.With material list,pictures of what I am doing,notes.Its like a instruction manual on how to build a car.Anyways having blank pages (undecided on color combos) is making me crazy.

So it may seem triveal that I am worried about colors for the completion and I have a ton of time left to figure it out.But for me with out having my book complete I have never gotton past step one of the build.

Ouch!!!

hey guys, don't flame me for making a statement for keeping the "chevy"look.
i never said it wasn't nice to paint your undercarriage the body color,just that dodge was doing this forever(and still does).i never even said i didnt like it.
i painted my undercarriage black as not to detract from the chrome and other accessories under the hood.what you do with your car is entirely up to you,and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks,you're building it to suit you.
i promise that if i ask for opinions i won't flame any of you for saying your piece.
man some of you guys are bored aren't you....mike

mike weyman said:
hey guys, don't flame me for making a statement for keeping the "chevy"look.
i never said it wasn't nice to paint your undercarriage the body color,just that dodge was doing this forever(and still does).i never even said i didnt like it.
i painted my undercarriage black as not to detract from the chrome and other accessories under the hood.what you do with your car is entirely up to you,and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks,you're building it to suit you.
i promise that if i ask for opinions i won't flame any of you for saying your piece.
man some of you guys are bored aren't you....mike
SORRY

Mike if you took it the wrong way or it came across the wrong way.
It wasnt supposed to come across that way.

no offence taken,i rarely post on anything , mostly reading and learning.
my 75 project was also a blank sheet.(no pedigree so nothing holding me back) i went with black undercarriage and metallic grey on the half shafts etc. done the body electron blue metallic pearl ,black interior with white "82" seats with white console and dash face (the rest black.) .
go with what you like or you'll regret it. your building this for you...mike

Larry,

That piece of fiberglass you are talking about is called the heater cover, and was used on all 58-62 cars. If you look closely, you will notice that the heater or air conditioning unit will be visible if it is not there. It is also required if you are going to use a package tray, since that is what the tray attaches to. I am still fighting with myself about what color to paint the radio console and the heater cover. I like red on the console, but not sure that I like the red going across under the dash pad on the heater cover. The kicks are going to be painted to match the tan leather, and I may end up painting the console and heater cover that color as well.

Regards, John McGraw

The package tray was introduced in '59 and continued to '62. That yellow car looks ok without one but it sure comes in handy.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom