Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I Need Steering Box Recommendations

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
I need to replace my steering box - again. The rebuilt one I bought found on eBay is already acting up (expensive mistake).

I'm thinking of getting one from VBandP and take advantage of the discount... but I am not sure if they're known for steering boxes.

Any recommendations? I need to do this replacement and want to do it right this time!

Thanks!

I don't know the history of the issues you've had but your original probably can be rebuilt as good as or maybe 'better' than the nominal tolerances. I can't recall which forum it was but one member posted how he machined his own bushings even.

But out of curiosity - what are the issues you are having?

Bair's and Van Steel both do excellent work on steering gears - they'll rebuild yours, sell you one exchange with your core, or sell you one outright.

Thanks guys... the steering box started making a grinding noise... mainly from starting all the way from the right (going left) or vice versa... it feels really stiff too.

My rebuilt engine was delivered yesterday. I would like get a correctly functional steering box installed before putting the engine and transmission back in.... so I want get the replacement right away.

Thanks.

I rebuild and blueprint these boxes, I have a couple in stock for late C3's - flat shafts 69-82's. PM me if you're interested, I can ship asap.

Hi Guys
A couple of you inquired about my services by PM. I'm sorry for the delay in responding I was not here for a couple of days. If you have any questions on my work please call me and I'll glad to help you out.

There is a guy called Gary. He is from Corvette forum and he does the best boxes. Rebuilds don't go far enough. Replacing bearings and seals is not a rebuild. To do it properly you need custom built pitman arm bushings. They need to be custom fit to your pitman shaft and come with less then .001 clearance.
Just replacing the bushings with factory ones only brings the clearance down in the .003 range. Still to much free play.

Norval, thanks for the reference.

I'm Gary -GTR1999 just couldn't change my name here I guess.

If someone knows what I need to do to change my name please let me know.

coupeman said:
Norval, thanks for the reference.

I'm Gary -GTR1999 just couldn't change my name here I guess.

If someone knows what I need to do to change my name please let me know.

Hi Gary. Guys Gary does fantastic work on rearends and steering boxes. I am sure anything else he tried will also be good.

I took the top off my steering box about 20 years ago, I crammed it full of axle grease. Damn thing still works 2 engines and 2 decades later. The Steering box is one of very few original parts on my car.

fine69 said:
I need to replace my steering box - again. The rebuilt one I bought found on eBay is already acting up (expensive mistake).

I'm thinking of getting one from VBandP and take advantage of the discount... but I am not sure if they're known for steering boxes.

Any recommendations? I need to do this replacement and want to do it right this time!

Thanks!

Try Year One. I got one from them, rebuilt and excellent for $160.00 plus a refundable core.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom